Frank Lehman's Harry Potter Article

Elmo Lewis

I was wondering why we got Frank Lehman's analysis of Harry Potter themes - a pretty good one in my opinion - and still there's no word about it on the Message Board, as if it didn't exist.

I thought it was dead-on in most parts. Really accurate. Frightfully complete, too - not only does it cover all themes from both movies (giving what I thought was a very appropiate name and definition of each, but it also includes all similarities between both movies, as if they were very loose, almost contidential leit-motifs for each situation. Which I thik they are, by the way.

Anyhoo... I just wanted to thank Frank for this analysis, which I will look up anytime I want to talk Harry Potter music. Mr. Breathmask - I wonder if you are still considering writing yours. It would be interesting to contrast.

By the way...

"Lucius Malfoy’s Theme"(HP II): This o­ne was surprising. The Death-Eatin’ Malfoy patriarch most definitely has a distinct bit of thematic material play whenever he is o­n screen, which, as it is heard in the lower depths of the orchestra, sounds quite threatening and conspiring. o­ne might even call it a "Conspiracy Theme", which is appropriate, because it is practically identical to the "Conspiracy Theme" from Attack of the Clones. I mean, honestly, almost note for note, and harmonically as well. I don’t know what Williams was thinking (probably the same thing as he wrote the music for the COS Quidditch match as Harry and Draco zip through the stadium rafters…hmmm). Because no o­ne knows how much William Ross was responsible for this score, here is o­ne theme that I’d rather deny Williams’ authorship.

I am almosy sure I hear this theme, or a very similar rip-off of AOTC's Conspiracy Theme in Philospher's Stone, too. Track 5, starting at about 2:01 and then finally developing at 2:10 - I don't know what part is this in the movie, though.

Anyone?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross, I will often times post my comments directly to the ariticle in question and not discuss it on the mb.

I wonder if everyone knows you can do that.

yes, it is a very good article. the only thing i think is missing is track times, and that is not a huge drawback. i also hear the "aotc theme" in track 5.

i didnt even know this anaylsis existed. i know the hp scores from memory, and it was a pleasure to follow through this analysis - really great work, frank - hope you continue on poa and further.

I was wondering why we got Frank Lehman's analysis of Harry Potter themes - a pretty good one in my opinion - and still there's no word about it on the Message Board, as if it didn't exist.

Perhaps everyone else was as lazy as I was. :)

Excellent article. I agree with most of what was said, even though I'm still not convinced as far as the Nimbus theme (my Slytherin theme) is concerned...perhaps we'll get proof either way in POA.

I also still firmly believe that the Family theme is really a theme for Harry in a family context. Everytime it is played the scene has something to do with Harry's parents, his loneliness (i.e. him missing his family), or later in the movie his friends and Hogwarts, his new family.

As far as I remember, there are a few minor themes missing from the analysis. Not necessarily recurrent, leitmotif-type themes, but still clearly themes in the musical sense. Oh, and I'd still like to know if anyone recognized any of the known major themes in the choral stuff during the Basilisk climax? Because as I said before, I once was pretty sure I heard one of the themes in there, but now I'll have to listen to it again to find out what I thought it was...

:cool: The Planets (Holst)

Yes, I loved reading this, it was fascinating. I e-mailed Mr. Lehman directly to thank him for it, rather than starting a thread. But anyway, I found myself agreeing with nearly everything he said, and I think it'd be really cool if he continues this for the following scores.

Ray Barnsbury

Ross, I will often times post my comments directly to the ariticle in question and not discuss it on the mb.

I wonder if everyone knows you can do that.

I read your comment and what I suppose was King Mark's comment. But you get to more people through the board.

Mr. Breathmask - I wonder if you are still considering writing yours. It would be interesting to contrast.

Well, now that this one appeared, I thought it wouldn't matter anymore, but now that I have some encouragement... :)

IF I ever write it, it'll probably be an analysis of the OST release, with a possible follow-up about the stuff that's left in the movie. It won't be as technically advanced as this one either, since I don't really know that stuff, let alone be able to write about it in English. And I'm going away soon, and I'm working on other things too (just 15 more minutes of TTT to transcribe). I don't know. But thanks for that comment. :cool:

- Marc, who will take his PS CD with him to Crete and might just write his bit there. Hmm...

Frank Lehman's analysis was a great contribution to this forum, and to the documentation that it's been compiled about Williams and his work. I plan to check every detail he mentions about the themes. I agree, Williams has advanced in themes, he has explored everything traditional and is inserting some stuff that is very interesting for music lovers and composers. Thanks, Frank! Do you have a login in the MB?

yeah,i did post a comment about it,but didn't start a thread because I agree to everything he says and we already had threads about it.

I'm also trying to figure out what the chorus segments from Fighting the Basilisk reminds me of,which is sort of structured like a motif,maybe it reminds me of something from another movie.

I'm also wondering about the cue Arrival of Baby Harry,does it contain 2 built in alternates of scene when the movie title appear?The segment beginning at 2 minutes(celeste,then a chorus part,then a part of HWW only better) doesn't match the film but the correct film version is slapped at the end of the cue if I'm correct.I wish they used the first one,it's a highlight of the album

K.M.