Best love theme in a movie EVER

Pelzter

IMO, the most beautiful love theme ever put to images has to "Lara's Theme" from Doctor Zhivago, composed by Maestro Maurice Jarre. The second best, again IMO, is Ennio Morricone's WONDERFUL love theme from Cinema Paradiso. Thoughts on this?

--Pelzter, who, as previously stated, sees very little of interest in the Love Theme from Superman

Ohh.... Psycho, TESB, Spartacus, Ben Hur, Cleopatra are certainly up there.... But certain parts of Spartacus are of indescribable beauty, Cleopatra almost too.

Ohh Ghost and Mrs Muir is a good one, especially if you see the film, the music is perfect in it, it's poetry.

The Love Theme from Superman the Movie is the favorite love theme of this poster, because there cannot be a best, however, the Love Theme from Superman the movie is also the best que of John Williams career.

My favourite is Han Solo and the Princess (but if it were a "love" theme, I would say "Luke and Leia"), then I like very much the love theme from "Cinema Paradiso", as well as the whole score! However, the love theme is not by Ennio Morricone but it was written by his son Andrea Morricone, who is a film composer too and I think he did that as his first thing in the world of film music (though I'm not sure). The rest of the soundtrack, however, is of course by Ennio, and it sounds like that! Morricone is my second favourite film composer, the first obviously being...

Actually my favorite is Luke and Leia but for the sake of originality I say: Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia by Khatchaturian although it's not for a movie as far as I know...

You know what? Last week I would've said the love theme from Superman, but this week I listened to Edward Scissorhands and that's it. Easily.

The main theme is alright, but I'm talking about the music that's heard when Winona Ryder is dancing around in the ice chippings. Oh my God. It's just so damn beautiful...

Yeah, The Godfather, right, one of the greats! And there are lots of great ones, like the love theme from Braveheart, for instance

--Pelzter

Love theme from TESB(Williams),The "Benchmark"

Princess Leia's Theme(Williams)*I* consider that a love theme.

Love theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark(Williams)

Love theme from The Patriot(Williams)

Love theme from Star Trek TMP(Goldsmith)

Love theme from Logan's Run(Goldsmith)

Love theme from Krull(Horner)

Love theme from Once Upon a Time in America(Morricone)

Love theme from King Kong(Barry)

Love theme from Clash of the Titans(Rosen...)

Love theme from Stargate(Arnold)

Love theme from Moonraker(Barry)

K.M.

I like Unfaithful as well although there's not really a love theme as such, is there?

I just thought of Octopussy (Barry).

Superman (JW)

ESB (JW)

AOTC (JW)

The Piano (Nyman)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Kilar)

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Doyle)

Vertigo (Herrmann)

Edward Scissorhands (Elfman)

Beauty and the Beast (Menken)

And a bunch of other I don't recall at the moment

Here are a few of my favorites:

The Lost Weekend (Rozsa)

Romeo and Juliet (Rota)

Somewhere In Time (Barry)

Jane Eyre (Williams)

Wuthering Heights (A. Newman)

Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)

On The Waterfront (L. Bernstein)

~Mari

You have impeccable taste, Mari - I was wondering when someone was going to mention Korngold, Newman and Rozsa. I would also say that Rozsa's love themes for Ben Hur (as Morn mentioned) and El Cid are two of the best ever written. Victor Young also wrote too many gorgeous love themes to mention, although The Left Hand of God is a personal favourite.

Many movies nowadays do not give composers the opportunity to write a traditional love theme; even when they do, the success of the music often relies on there being some on-screen chemistry between the protagonists, at least until they blow each others' heads off, get eaten alive or whatever. That is why I think John's love theme (Marion's theme) from Raiders of the Lost Ark is his best, as it complements what is already on the screen with Harrison Ford and Karen Allen. I also have a soft spot for the love themes from Cinderella Liberty and Earthquake.

I would also give honorary mentions to Basil Poledouris' love theme from Conan The Barbarian and Lalo Schifrin's irresistibly infectious 80s love theme for Sam Peckinpah's The Osterman Weekend ( :oops: ).

Spartacus is another good'un (and another good call from Morn!).

Damien

:) Rio Bravo (Dimitri Tiomkin)

Thanks Damien!

Korngold and Rozsa are two of my favorite film composers after John Williams, of course. :)

I have to admit my knowledge of Victor Young is pretty limited. I only know the selections on the Cinema Serenade 2 CD, and do enjoy them. I did neglect to mention two other favorites: Patrick Doyle and Sir William Walton. I love their Shakespearian scores, especially both versions of Henry V, and find the love theme in the Walton particularly beautiful.

~Mari

I watched the film today again, and I think Marnie is one of the most wonderful love stories ever told in any film, and it has Bernard Herrmann's best score (IMO).

The love theme is quite sad and disturbing at the same time, but above all, beautiful.

• 14 years later...

Williams love theme for Viktor and Amelia.

Craig Armstrong's love themes for Love Actually.

JNH's love theme for Katniss and Peeta.

Zimmer and Co love themes in The Holiday.

Many others like JNH's King Kong and Anne love theme, Zimmer's Pirates 3 love theme. 

And the greatest TV love theme ever - 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, King Mark said:

oh yeah El Cid love theme is one of the best

it's almost a pre-Han Solo and the Princess

Simply exquisite.

Not an obvious love-theme, but the song JULIA is tender, and poignant.

On 14/02/2018 at 11:12 PM, filmmusic said:

Thought to bump this thread for valentine's day today, with my favourite love theme of all time:

This is fantastic. LOVE SONG FOR A VAMPIRE is also beautifully sung, and produced. Stephen Lipson at his best.

For writing some examples:

Miklos Rozsa - Ben-Hur - Love Scene.

Miklos Rozsa - The Thief of Bagdad - The Love of the Princess

James Horner - Krull - Colwyn And Lyssa

James Horner - Gorky Park - Irina's Theme

James Horner - Brianstorm - Michael's Gift To Karen (from minute 2)

James Horner - Braveheart - For The Love Of A Princess

John Williams - Star Wars - Princess Leia'a Theme

John Williams - Superman - Love Theme 

Erich Wolfgang Korngold for all his Romantic Music

John Barry for all his Romantic Music

............:music: