Jerry Goldsmith recommendations

I just love the sound that sprung forth for sci fi / metaphysical movies of that time ... That particualr style Goldsmith uses in tracks such as Rebirth (poltergeist) and The Cloud (ST motion picture) and The Meld (ST)  is the style of Goldsmith i adore the most i think. So lush and mystical. While we're on the subject, i dont have many of Goldsmith scores yet,  so if i like this style the most, which scores would people recommend of Goldmiths of where he is using that particular  wonderful style?

"The Secret of N.I.M.H." easily. Start there, if you don't have it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:angry: Is this something to do with ST motion picture soundtrack?

Melange - Interested in an MP3 if it is  :oops:

well the complete STTMP boot is not complete.It's missing a few minutes of music,when Kirk memos in his "captain's log" after they leave drydock,and again a bit later.The interest in those short cues,presumedly lost or destroyed,is that it contains Alexander Courage's T.V theme woven in subtly.

k.m.

Lost or destroyed? Hardly. All of the original music for ST:TMP was available for the recent DVD's brand new audio mix. In fact, they were GOING to do an isolated score before Paramount nixed the idea. :angry: Nevertheless, the unreleased bits of music come through quite clearly on the DVD's surround mix.

It's missing a few minutes of music,when Kirk memos in his "captain's log" after they leave drydock,and again a bit later. The interest in those short cues,presumedly lost or destroyed,is that it contains Alexander Courage's T.V theme woven in subtly. k.m.

Yes. I can hear the cue you refer to, in my mind.

It was on T.V the other day, so its fresh in my mind.

I was saying i really adore the era of Williams and Goldsmith both around the years 76-82ish. I just love the sound that sprung forth for sci fi / metaphysical movies of that time. Thats why Close Encounters and E.T are my favourite Williams scores, and why i adore Goldsmith's ST motion picture, Poltergeist, Alien, and Outland scores. That particualr style Goldsmith uses in tracks such as Rebirth (poltergeist) and The Cloud (ST motion picture) and The Meld (ST)  is the style of Goldsmith i adore the most i think. So lush and mystical.

I agree 100%.Goldsmith stuck to that style untill 1985 ending it with Legend.Then Blam,he was never the same again for a still unknown reason,but from what I read it was a deliberate decision,perhaps having to do with the slaughter of his Legend score.His 76-85 scores are lush ,melodic ,complex,experimental,thematic,mystical and after that they have been a 1or 2 theme rythm driven affairs.Yes very much like Williams in that era.Heck,even Horner was good then.

K.M.Who mostly seeks out Goldsmith from that era.

I still think your theory that Goldsmith has deliberatly started to write dull, ininspired music, because of the Legend incident the most outragious piece of conspiracy theory i've ever heard.

And remember, i BELIEVE in life from other planets. :angry:

Stefancos- who likes 90's Goldsmith.

Air Force One is my favorite pure action score of all scores I own :)

With the tracks of the promo I found on the net (and some obviously ripped from DVD, worse sound quality, but 2 or 3 tracks of those are vital to the score) I have made a ~74min CD that is abslutely cool :)

Ok, half of that (the promo tracks) are McNeely, but he succeeded very well in sounding like Goldsmith...

I can also recommend "Under Fire", that score is very different to the typical Goldsmith stuff, with lots of South American sounds and a solo guitar, but it's gorgeous.

-Chris

:angry: Air Force One Expanded

Hmmmm my top Goldsmith titles??? Here is my top 10 in NO particular order:

-Lionheart

-Patton

-13th Warrior (I love Conan sounging scores)

-Total Recall

-The Wind and the Lion

-Under Fire

-Chinatown

-Star Trek: TMP

-Rambo II

-Secret of Nimh (like impossible to find)

My suggestion is Powder. The theme is absolutely beautiful as is the whole score. It is one of my favorites.

I would suggest these titles to go along with the others:

Night Crossing (Intrada expanded version)

Tora Tora Tora (FSM release)

Rambo II (Silva Expanded)

The Blue Max (Sony/Legacy Expanded)

The Mephisto Waltz (Varese)

Planet of the Apes (Varese)

Legend

Under Fire

Medicine Man

Dennis the Menace

First Blood

Star Trek V

If you can find the Mulan Academy Promo I would recommend that one as well.

Here, again, is my list:

Air Force One

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Patton

Poltergeist

Twilight Zone: The Movie

The Final Conflict (Deluxe Edition)

The Secret of N.I.M.H.

Are there different editions that I should be interested in? If so, please tell me! Thanks again!

~Harry

Wow! This is so cool. I love The Maestro. The first soundtrack I ever bought was by him, Star Trek: The Motion Picture on tape. This was the beginning of what is now my current tastes in music. I had been listening Johnny boy' music before that when I recorded the music with my boombox on the TV's speakers. It's interesting everthing that has been said here, and also my favorite period these giants were the late 70s, early 80s. And like [insert name here] said, even James Horner was good! I still would like to hear those sound effects he would use like the soundblaster and others like you hear in Trek, Alien and Poltergeist.

Harry, I can't believe you are just discovering Jerry, but that is cool, he's really a genious!

:mrgreen:

Harry, I can't believe you are just discovering Jerry, but that is cool, he's really a genious!  

:mrgreen:

It's all thanks to Air Force One and The Mummy. I watched them both recently and I was thinking while watching that they both have good music, and said I have to learn more about this guy. ;)

~Harry

I absolutely love Jerry. You know, I haven't seen The Mummy, but have had the soundtrack since 1999, and it's absolutely wonderful. I love it. Very good action music in both scores. Gotta love the 7 minute action scene of "The Hijacking" from AFO. You are gonna love it. Also the wordless chorus in The Mummy absolutely stunning.

I hope I also will enjoy all the suggestions that have been made to me by the wonderful people here. :mrgreen:

Anyone see my other post about different releases?

~Harry

I recommend

The Shadow

The Sum Of All Fears

The Shadow is very underrated, but is almost impossible to find because it is not in print (or whatever the term is). E-Bay may have it.

The Sum Of All fears is outstanding! It's new and refreshing. Very Goldsmithian, but original. The Russian music is very dark and brooding (I think).

You can't go wrong with Goldsmith, though.

~Conor

Are there different editions that I should be interested in?  If so, please tell me!  Thanks again!

Only one edition of "Air Force One" and "The Mummy," if you don't count the numerous bootlegs. Still, buy the originals before you start hunting down the boots.

Get the 20th Anniversary Edition of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" ... shouldn't be too hard, since it's the only one in-print right now. It's not hard to spot ... big "holographic" slipcase, and it's paired with a second CD of useless interviews.

"Patton" has two editions: the incomplete Varese re-recording, paired with a few selections from Goldsmith's "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and the Film Score Monthly edition of the complete original tracks, which is paired with Frank de Vol's obscure "The Flight of the Phoenix." While the Varese re-recording ain't bad, the FSM version is generally the preferred edition, even though it'll run you a few bucks extra ... you'll need to order it from their website (or another specialty dealer).

I'm pretty sure the complete Rhino release of "Poltergeist" was the first time the score was made available on CD. Don't buy anything else, that's for sure!

"Twilight Zone: The Movie" is a German import. You can get it from the German Amazon.com or from specialty outlets like Intrada. It's worth the extra trouble! You might also get the German import of "Under Fire" and save yourself some shipping. :mrgreen:

You already know to get the Deluxe Edition of "The Final Conflict."

"The Secret of N.I.M.H." has two editions, but you're only likely to find the latter, superior edition. They both have the same tracks, but one has better sequencing and (I think) improved sound. The newer version has a beige cover (as opposed to black), and is still pretty scarce! Still, you can order it online without much trouble. "Best Buy" probably won't have it, but a larger or more devoted chain might.

Hope that helps!

Well, Mr. Potter, you're finally listening to something other than Williams. It must be due to your advanced age. :mrgreen:

Suggestion for you: go to your local video store and rent Planet of the Apes (Heston version), Logan's Run, and Chinatown. And be sure to listen. Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run were written back in the day when Hollywood was more receptive to scores that pushed the envelope. Chinatown is jazz based, but has one gorgouse trumpet melody (the CD is ~30 min, probably all the music in the film).

Definately check out the deconstructing Goldsmith website. Take the tour and listen to the sound clips. Not to commit heresay, but I think that Goldsmith is more eclectic than Williams.

And a note on Rudy: when Goldsmith was done conducting it on the scoring stage, the orchestra gave him a standing ovation.

"Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown."

Bruckhorn.

Anyone else on Executive Decision or Rudy?

I'll chime in on Rudy. I love it. I've never warmed up to Jerry Goldsmith, but Rudy is certainly on my Top Ten list of all time scores. It's very reminiscent of Rachel Portman, with perhaps a little more rhythmic muscle in a couple of the cues. If you like smaller, sensitive scores, you'll love Rudy.

In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now.

Get Patton, Planet of the Apes, Rudy, Tora Tora Tora, all his star trek scores and Total Recall (if you like AOTC style action music, goldsmith doing that kinda stuff in his own style)

Harry, you can get Twilight Zone from plain old Amazon.com, you don't have to use the German one. Thats how I got mine.

joe

Thank you again to everyone who has helped me!!! Your helpfulness is wonderful!!! I will let you all know when I find them and what I think! :mrgreen:

~Harry

Can anyone tell me a little about "First Knight" and "The 13th Warrior"? I was reading Filmtracks reviews, and these two seem good. Thanks!

~Harry

I have both albums. First Knight is a great score, but the official album's a little short. I like the track (4 I believe) that has Aurthur walking towards Guinivere with all the knights holding their swords up. That's an awesome scoring moment. The other great pieces are the last two tracks. One is the great choral piece (almost gives Orff a run for his money) where Aurthur and Lancelot take back Camelot.(As my last order as king....... I COMMAND YOU TO FIGHT!!!) The other is Aurthur's funeral which is more sublime, but still majestic. I hear the boot has a lot of great unreleased cues.

13th Warrior: I believe it to be better than the Mummy. There's always that debate going on. 13th Warrior is almost a matter of taste. I don't like it as much as First Knight. It's a good sized album though, so you would be getting your money's worth. A lot of the action cues took me some time to warm up to. It's a score that grows on you. It's very nordic and pagan, being there are Vikings and Flesh Eaters. The arabic stuff at the beginning is fun.

NP: Spiderman (very very good album. It's got what a lot of soundtrack albums are missing: a good overall listen)

Harry, now we know. Frequent poster. When Director Dan comes back, he and Morn, and Hector can battle to become the next Frequent poster

Harry, if you want a really cool album, check out the new Varese CD of, Omen 2. This is the only album that I know of that offers 2 completely different recordings on 1 album. It has the music that was recorded for the film in L.A. and it has the original soundtrack album that was recorded in England. Its a fabulous CD, and it's one of Goldsmith's best main titles.

Neil

I'm partial to Goldsmith's work of the sixties (The Blue Max, Planet of the Apes, etc.) and most of his stuff of the seventies (The Omen, Star Trek, etc.) I like some of his early '80s material before he starting adding synths a little too much for my tastes.

A couple good starting points would probably be compilations (conducted by Goldsmith); one was released by Silva, and the other by Telarc.