Goldsmith 's Sum of all Fears...

King Mark

I don't plan to see the movie.is it an interesting score or not.I ask here because I know what kind of answer i will get at the FSM MB.

K.M.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of answer will you get? Probably a "It's awesome and it's the best of the year and will stay that way" kind of response. :|

~Harry

What kind of answer will you get?  Probably a "It's awesome and it's the best of the year and will stay that way" kind of response. :|

~Harry

Yes.

K.M.

I'll be honest, it all depends on how much you like Goldsmith. It's got a pretty good theme, but the whole album (minus the songs) kind of blends together. SOAF is a good example of a score that works extraordinary in the movie, but not as good on CD. The opening titles, evacuating the president, and closing cues are really standouts. The rest is a lot of suspense/middle eastern music. If you like recent Goldsmith and you can get it on sale, I'd recommend it. After buying, I burned a copy of this and Last Castle together minus the songs for a pretty good album.

Good idea, Wickenstein! I might try that.

"Sum of All Fears" is a very mature score. I'm sure it works great for the film, but it's probably not for all tastes. While it's not among my favorite Goldsmith works, I certainly enjoyed it. It has a very nice flavor. The two opera tracks were a great touch. And the song isn't bad.

Still, there are probably a few dozen Goldsmith scores you ought to own before this one. :|

I agree with the above. Worth getting, but there is other stuff you should get first.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent film and excellent score. The horn solos in "The Mission" and "The Same Air/If We Could Remember" are gorgeous -- reminiscent of Jerry's horn solos from ST: First Contact.

There's a lot of unreleased music, however (surprise), but it's still a great disc.........even if its just for those two amazing horn solos

Director - a sucker for horn solos

:) "The Book People - Finale" from Fahrenheit 451 (Herrmann)

This score has really grown on me. Not having to wade through the songs really helps the score out. Goldsmith's middle eastern stuff is always great. The russian theme and what I call the nuke motif (the soft but intense orchestral bursts that populate The Mission. Sounds almost like a nuke is going off!) are good too.

I just bought this score last night. I listened to it once today, and I won't be listening to it anytime soon. I was expecting something grand and fun, a la Air Force One, but that's not what I was listening to. I remember someone posting something on the old board about the score being so wonderful and this and that, but I just don't see it. Apparently I am missing something, because a few here have said they love the score. Well, I don't, so this was the first, and the last, time that I will buy a Goldsmith score without having good advice on it or without hearing it first.

~Harry

The movie is fantastic, and the only thing I remember about the score, other than its middle eastern percussion stuff, was the use of the piece Nessum Dorma, which is an absolutely beautiful song that is hinted at in the opening credits I believe but comes out full force in the end. Very effective. So Ben Affleck has made two really good movies that I've seen this year -- this one and Changing Lanes. I'm impressed...

chris

:angry: In the middle of my first listen of Minority Report...

Let me ad an addendum to my post:

Before I listened to Sum of all Fears, I listened to the score for The Musketeer, so I was expecting some more action/loud music, since that was what I was already listening to and my brain was thirsting for more. So, when I listened to SOAF, I still wanted the action/loud music, but, like I said, that's not what I got.

~Harry

Yeah, I thought SOAF would have more action, but it's really more of a suspense score. Since this is one of your first Goldsmith's, I'm not surprised you didn't like it. I myself didn't like it a whole lot on first listen (I seldom do). I wouldn't totally dismiss it though. Once you have some more Goldsmith, maybe come back and rediscover it.

When I first got into Film Scores, I was buying mostly Williams. I made the mistake of buying The Patriot before I had most of Williams' classics. I hated it! I mean, there are a lot of Williams fans who still despise this one! This was, of course, because I had been used to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and such. I later had to rediscover it to apreciate it. It's no classic, but I at least like the album now. Happy Listenning!

NP: Minority Report

Then you must've loved The Musketeer.

I wasn't too thrilled --- it was a bit too "Superman-ish" for me. I love Johnny's score to Superman, but I didn't really like Arnold's approach to The Musketeer. It's a nice theme, though.

Now, about Goldsmith. He wasn't my favorite either but I've been getting more and more into his music. I'm respecting him and his talent a lot nowadays too. I loved The Sum Of All Fears and it's just what Wickenstein said -- it's more of a suspense score than an action score.

It's a intelligent political drama with moments of great suspense and thrilling action.

Have you heard the scores to The Hunt For The Red October (Poledouris), Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger? They're not exactly Air Force One.

Jack Ryan/Tom Clancy films require a certain restraint because of the demeanor of the main character. Moments in the scores heighten incredibly, but that's because the character's emotions are heightened due to the binding situation he finds himself in.

I thought Jerry did an excellent job with the score and it was exactly what it needed. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unreleased cues -- as can be expected -- but the score has great moments and I really like it.

Director - getting adamant and technical

:angry: "Whisper Of A Thrill" from Meet Joe Black (T. Newman)

Then you must've loved The Musketeer.  

Yes, I did love it on my first listen, and still do love it. I love the energy that is in the music, from the main title to all the action pieces. I was disappointed there was no end credit music on the cd, but oh well. I guess I can't have everything.

I just bought Lord of the Rings by Shore, so I will be giving that a listed tomorrow at work. :mrgreen:

~Harry

I don't plan to see the movie.is it an interesting score or not.I ask here because I know what kind of answer i will get at the FSM MB.

K.M.

Dan Hobgood was actually somewhat disappointed with it. Naturally, it's still better than anything John Williams has ever composed, but it's still...lacking...he admits.

I just bought Lord of the Rings by Shore, so I will be giving that a listed tomorrow at work. :)

~Harry

AND?? What did you think?

Director - still convinced that Johnny deserved it more than Howie this year, despite Howie's score being incredible.

Nevermind -- I already read what you thought and posted my thoughts (in accordance with Ray's).

Director - looking forward to The Two Towers

:) "October Sky" from October Sky (Isham)