Born on the Fourth of July Complete Score

woodwindmaster06

How many have this, Born on the Fourth of July Complete Score, if so how much of the extra music from the original soundtrack is any good, and is it worth looking into getting this verson compared to the original release? And how rare is it, is it hard to find?

There are two diferent bootlegs, both runing over an hour. Since the ost release (on MCA) has about 25 minutes of score, you get over the double of that on the bootlegs. The Kovik records bootleg has a poorer sound, but comes with an alternate trtack from Always. The July records bootleg, has a better sound, but four of the tracks are actually non credited re-recordings (from Williams/Boston Pops three movement suite, and the end credits from Bateman/City of Prague PO).

Is it worth getting the complete score bootleg or just get the comericial release? I have only a copy of the commercial release from the library and am wondering if I should buy the bootleg or the original release.

with the boot,you basically get more choices to pick out your favourite renditions of the main theme(mine is called the The Syracuse Rally i think).apart from that it's Williams most repetitive score and I never listen to the boot from beginning to end.

K.M.

• 14 years later...

I've just listened to the complete score again.

Well, of course this is a sublime score, but I don't see John Williams signing off a complete release of it since it's very much repetitive with little to no variation of the thematic material either melody or harmony or orchestration wise.

I can't remember any other complete Williams score right now that is so repetitive.

Also, I was wondering if that Cua Viet River, Vietnam (alternate) is really an alternate of Shooting of Wilson (since it has more common passages with that cue) and has been mislabeled.

edit: oh, I just realised this track is one from the  suite Miguel mentioned some posts above.

I wonder then if Williams wrote it afterwards or if it was indeed an alternate originally,

The last minute has some interesting passages for solo viola that stood out in the whole score.

Another alternate I liked and it caught my attention immediately (that we have something new, though relevant to the rest of the thematic material) was Timmy (alt).

• 1 year later...

This bump needlessly got my hopes up for an expansion announcement.

What gives anyway, with the total lack of Oliver Stone/John Williams expansions? Does nobody care about these scores? Are there huge rights issues?

11 hours ago, Spili said:

It's a shame the aforementioned bootleg sounds so bad in comparison to the official release by MCA.

It's not a shame, it's irrelevant, because it will be expanded by one of the special labels eventually.