Ben-Hur: Is a remake in order?

I enjoy this movie, even if it is a little bit on the slow side in between the galley battle and the chariot race. To me, there's a lot of Christianity to the story, which is why I like it so much. However, I was wondering how many of you felt like it was good from a non-Christian perspective or would be good if it were remade nowadays as a series of movies (taking more out of the book and expanding on that and supplementing additional material to beef the movie up)? I don't exactly see a Gladiator thing happening with the chariot race, but it would be nice to intensify things with the modern technology that filmmakers could use to make Messala's whippings and crashes more believable.

I'd take the story of the 3 wise men (one of whom is Balthasar) and I'd turn that into a movie about Christ's early life. Of course it'd need a subplot or something that would lend itself to some impressive action sequences as well as emotional and dramatic scenes. At the end of the movie, it'd leave you hanging about SOMETHING that would bring audiences back for more when the sequel was released. Since Ben-Hur would still probably be too long to make into one movie, I'd probably still add more filler subplots that would actionize and emotionalize the story, so it wouldn't be as slow. Then I'd end the movie with the same kind of cliff-hanger. The next movie would probably be the big finale. It'd include a beefed-up chariot race, an impressive scene when Judah begins searching for his mother and sister, and finally the Calvary sequence, which would be something that not many people would forget or hate.

In case you haven't caught on, I'd like my name to be next to the credit that reads "Directed by" if this is released. The '59 version is good, but it's' so antiquated with the acting, the special effects, and some of the music. As far as music goes, I don't care who composes, but they're using the Christ motif that Rozsa wrote! I don't know about Judah's theme or any of the other ones, but I don't think there'd be too many more musical ways you could get the sound of Christ into notes than what Miklos did. That 5-note motif was composed perfectly and orchestrated perfectly at the right times throughout the film. From the time Jesus gives the slave Judah a ladle-full of water to the end when the motif is being played bombastically as the shepherd guides his sheep across a field, in front of Calvary. Rozsa did everything I would've done and then some with the scoring of the Christ scenes. Now I can see why he's part of the Golden Age.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't see the point in a remake. The movie was VERY well done the first time. There are PLENTY of other great stories involving the Roman Empire that still have yet to be told.

It's not the Roman Empire I'm interested in. That power came and went. But the other kingdom mentioned in Ben-Hur--the kingdom of God--still exists to this day. It did in Romans times and still does at the moment you read this message.

Not the movie...but the score!! I'd love to hear the LSO perform a disc full of Rozsa's music.

Jamesyboy - who loves this score..

Ben Hur is a terrific film. It doesn't need to be remade. Hollywood needs to find new and fresh ideas instead of making remakes. We don't need new versions of Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Gone With the Wind, King Kong, Frankenstein, Jaws, A Streetcar Named Desire, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc, etc, etc.

As far as the kingdom of God, you walking that borderline between a valid post and breaking the rules.

but I do agree the heart of Ben Hur is the great story and action, but the soul of the film is Juda's faith in God. Powerful stuff.

Some movies should not be remade. And some can't. Well, maybe not can't, but would cost way too much to do. Think about it, based out what was outlined above, how much do you think the budget would be? Say, in the neighborhood of Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or Episodes I, II, and III? Those two examples have built in appeal and people wanting to see those movies get made. My best friend dragged me to see Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings. He will not need to drag me to see the next two-- I am looking forward to them. I would not be interested in seeing a remake of Ben-Hur. The original is a masterpiece. Leave it alone.

Ben Hur is a religious epic. And religious epics dont put bums on cinema seats nowadays like they did in the 50's. Ticket sales are the motivation of all movie studios (even at the time of Ben Hur, the film was basically a huge gamble in order to save MGM from drowning). And even Juda's conversion to Christianity was kept more cryptic in that version (i assume you are refering to the Heston version?). I feel that if they ever did remake it, it would be a disaster. The majority of modern audiences just would not be able to relate to long romantic scenes like those at the beginning with Teerza and Ben. They want non stop action and a change of scene every 20 seconds or they fall asleep or get bored and restless. So it would end up the way of Gladiator (which i liked, but just does'nt containt the depth of Ben Hur's story). The film Ben Hur contains many elements of morality and a strong message which would turn many people off, because the world has changed tremenedously since, and people would find it corny. "Where is all the sex and violence??" people would ask. I'm not to hot on films that try to convey a moral message, but Ben Hur has a real noble element to it, and you admire the morality of Hurs character (i dont think he ever intentionally kills even one person in that movie when you look closely). Things like "close family,helping out friends and standing by those you love until the bitter end" were essential elements in the movie, and modern audiences cant relate to that. Some people will. But the majority wont. And studios think of "majority" when they write stories for movies nowadays. So in a few words "No, i think a remake would be a bad idea". Heston Ben Hur is the masterpiece which should remain final.

I agree with Joe, no need to remake a film which is brilliant, even if it might be a bit dated or something.

Besides, they would probably screw it up.

Stefancos- wondering if "Chuck" Heston ever spoke out about the supposed past love affair between his character and Messala :?:

Dexster Jettster, I understand and share your beliefs and motivations in making a Ben-Hur sequel. After all, I'm too am a deep religious Christian and I'm always interested in biblical film.

However, what you seem to be interested in doing is filming the allegory in Ben-Hur. So why Ben-Hur at all? Just take the Three Wise Men and Christ and put them somewhere else other than the Roman Empire. I say, make a science-fiction film about it, or whatever you are interested in.

Meanwhile, I suggest you read The Old Man and the Sea. If you like religious allegory, you'll LOVE this book.

-ROSS, listening to Call of the Champions in order to achieve serenity for tomorrow's (and the day after and the next) HUUUUGE test.

I was out of school on medical absence when we read Old Man in class. :oops: It's not so much the allegory I'm fascinated with, primarily. I'd like to modernize the story. Although going the sci-fi route may be...interesting. But the sci-fi world's (at least the space part of it--which I'd like to do) so separated from any kind of morsel of Christianity (other than taking the Lord's name in vain). I guess the Christianity part could be done like LOTR. I don't know. I'm sure if God wants me making movies, the ideas will come to me.

Hey...even if a remake wouldn't bring in the majority, it could still be a pretty good movie. I'm not sure what Forrest Gump did at the box office, but that's a really good movie and it barely had any action in it at all. It's no Star Wars, but it's really heart-warming, which the stories of Christ and Judah both have the potential of being. I think there are a lot of great stories out there, but it all depends on what kind of "camera angle" is used by the director and all the other people involved with creating a quality story. Somebody like Zemeckis could do that. He took a pretty mediocre-sounding movie about time travel and made it leave you with a warm toasty-feeling inside. And it was SCI-FI! Nerd-o-rama! If you read a neutral synopsis or the taglines for Forrest, you'd think it was the worst movie ever made. But in fact, after you watch it, it's one of the best movies you'll ever see. Jaws wasn't that great as a book, but Spielberg made the movie excellent (aside from special effects).

The majority of modern audiences just would not be able to relate to long romantic scenes like those at the beginning with Teerza and Ben.

I assume you mean Esther and Judah? (Tirzah was his sister.) :tongue2:

Just picking nits.

Dont you have the Czech version with the incest scenes between Teerza and Juda? :mrgreen:

Hehehehe. No, you are right, i got the names wrong. :mrgreen:

What most of you don't seem to realize is that "Ben-Hur" (Heston version) is ALREADY a remake. There was a silent film, released in 1926, which has some pretty damn impressive sequences. If I'm not mistaken (which I may very well be), the lead was involved in some sort of notorious homosexual scandal, which may even have led to (or resulted from) his death. Of course, I can't remember a goddam thing anymore, so I am unable to be any more specific without research. The homoerotic longing was not new with the 1959 version!

Consulting my Leonard Maltin guide, I see also that there was an even earlier telling, all the way back in 1907. This I have not seen. They could have done another remake a few years ago instead of blowing the money, labor, and talent (Crowe, Reed, Jacobi, and Harris) on "Gladiator," which I still have pegged as the most overrated Oscar-winner since "Braveheart." (Or would that be "Shakespeare in Love?" Or "American Beauty?" It's a tough call.) Of course, any remake -- or any film at all, it seems -- is more likely to suck than not these days (eg., "Mr. Deeds" -- with ADAM SANDLER!!!!!!!).

The Heston "Ben-Hur" is probably one of my top 30 or perhaps 40 movies of all time, and I certainly don't buy into all that Christ-as-divinity bullshit. (I am a Christian, by the way, but only on a technicality, as I was too young to protest.) Still, the philosophical Christ had a lot of good ideas, and his life and legend make for a good story. I just don't happen to give it any more credence than I do the adventures of King Arthur or Siegfried or Lemminkainen or El Cid. Biblical films are definitely enjoyable on a secular level. Just because I am not a practicing Christian doesn't mean I am hostile to Christianity (except on Sundays, when I can't find a parking space because of the devout). In fact, many of my favorite movies, music and paintings draw their inspiration from the life of Christ.

I also happen to know plenty of Jews who enjoy Jesus flicks.

Do you like any new film Figo? Anyway, there is a big difference between a silent film and a how to put it.... soundful film :) There is less difference between a modern film and a 50s film and therefore less reason if any to remake it ROTFLMAO

I doubt a 50s film will make much in a re-release. A remake might be a good idea. However, it's not needed. Hopefully, if it does happen, it will reuse Rozsa's score so we will have a nice re-recording of it :)

With Williams conducting, considering his brilliant version of the chariot parade on the summon the heroes cd.

And btw, have you seen the silent film version? I've only read about it. How is it?

Has anyone seen that Jesus movie that was made in the late '70s? It's not Jesus of Nazareth, but a flick of all sorts of unknowns. I heard on a program yesterday that 4.8 (or 4.5) billion people worldwide have seen that movie. That may not be too impressive compared to Star Wars, but I wouldn't doubt that a lot of that 4.8 billion didn't know what a movie was before they saw that. That's what I call attracting an audience!

I doubt 4.8 billion people on the planet have seen Star Wars.

And I know 4.8 billion people haven't seen Jesus Christ Superstar.

Joe, who thinks Dexster missheard the number.

Nah, it's a flick made by Warner Brothers, I think (at least the name was on the version I saw). It's pretty low-budget with no big-name actors in it. Some British guy plays Jesus and the story is only taken out of Luke, as opposed to the other 3 gospels. It's about like watching the Bible. They don't add anything to it, really. In other words, if it ain't in the Bible, it ain't in the movie. If I ever made a movie like that, I'd add stuff to Jesus so long as it didn't contradict the Bible and it glorified my Lord more. Then again...I believe some of the tales of Jesus in the gospels could be quite tender as is and would be quite touching, if you go for getting the most catharsis out of the audience.

And btw, have you seen the silent film version? I've only read about it. How is it?

If you had read my post more carefully, you will know that I've seen the 1926 version. I saw it on cable several times about ten years ago. It is definitely worthwhile.

Hopefully, if it does happen, it will reuse Rozsa's score so we will have a nice re-recording of it :) With Williams conducting, considering his brilliant version of the chariot parade on the summon the heroes cd.

I would think they would just hire Elmer Bernstein. ROTFLMAO

I doubt a 50s film will make much in a re-release.

Figo, who saw "El Cid" on the big screen a few years back, when Martin Scorsese put up the money for a theatrical reissue.

What most of you don't seem to realize is that "Ben-Hur" (Heston version) is ALREADY a remake.  There was a silent film, released in 1926, which has some pretty damn impressive sequences.

I think most people already realize that Figo.

Just because we did'nt mention it, does'nt mean we dont know about it.

The topic was just talking in terms of a re-make of the Heston version.

Which most of feel is unnescessary because it was the best anyway.

Well, excuse me. It's easy to underestimate a board whose members don't recognize the name of Burgess Meredith!

Figo, who overheard some grocers joking about Burgess this morning at the fruit and vegetable store.