"For the love of God, play SUPERMAN!"

On the eve of this year´s concert at the Hollywood Bowl I wanted to repost something that made me laugh when I first read it.

I recently found this review by Dan Goldwasser from a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and found myself laughing so hard! It's from the Friday concert. I was there for the Saturday concert (in 2000). The reviewer gets to the part when the program is supposed to be over, and...
What?? That's it? No, not really - time for the encores! When Williams walked back out on stage, someone in the front shouted, "Superman!". Williams smiled, and proceeded to play Schindler's List. For the second encore, the same individual shouted, "Play Superman!". Williams smiled again, and made a comment about how since we all will miss the news, this next piece would be more appropriate. He then played the "Mission Theme", also known as the NBC Nightly News theme. When he came back out for his third encore, our friend in the front shouted, "For the love of God - play Superman!!", and the entire Hollywood Bowl audience laughed. As did Williams - for he was not to play Superman that night. Rather, he played the Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it was good. And the audience was happy. Except for that one soul who wanted to hear Superman.

I love that part! "For the Love of God -play Superman!"

Hahahaha!!!! Oh, man! I now have misty eyes from laughing so hard! :P;):P

For the complete review click here.

Hector´s memories of his first Williams concert

;) Williams, arr. A Tribute to the Film Composer

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This IS funny, because at the Philadelphia concert in July, I was shouting at JW to "play Superman!" I wasn't in the front row and JW couldn't have heard me, but I can feel this guys pain.

I wonder why he doesn't play Superman often. Could it be because it wears out the brass section in a bad way? Doesn't translate well into concert? Curious.

stewdog - misty eyed as well from laughing so hard.

Everytime a sprint finishes in the World Championships Athletics that's being held now in Paris, they play the Star Wars Main Title, followed by the ending crashes of the TESB End Credits. Very cool indeed, but why not play Superman? It would be very fitting in finals, eh?

- Marc

:nono: John Williams Meeting E.T. from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (20th AE)

He'll be playing two pieces from Superman in Chicago.

Neil

Which particular night, do you know??

It's listed as part of the program for the November 28 concert. :)

I believe you mentioned your birthday falling somewhere around the dates of the concerts? I hope you are able to get tickets!

~Mari

• 3 weeks later...

Superman was indeed played at the Hollywood Bowl. And it´s wonderful to hear it live. It was cheered when it started... and I did get to yell "Play Superman!", only I could not do it a third time... because they had already played it :P