John Williams Expanded scores

Luke Skywalker

As my 'Willimas ;) must-haves' thread was a fiasco, i'll ask something similar, NOW ABOUT JOHN WILLIAMS 8O

Could you tell me how many are there?

Tell me the newest releases ans if they are rare/out of print

I know:

SW EpI TPM UE

SW EpIV ANH SE

SW EpV ESB SE

SW EpVI ROJ SE

RAIDERS of the Lost Ark, 1995 release

E.T. 20th Anniversary

JAWS special edition

SUPERMAN the movie 2CDs Williams conducting (i know there is another version, not conducted by williams)

PS: Is JAWS 2 good and worth buying?

THANKS

PS#2: if i have spelling mistakes, PLEASE :) do not make jokes about it and go off-topic.

THANKS AGAIN :mrgreen:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's very different from the first Jaws in that the main theme doesn't appear as much. If you like that theme tremendously, you may not enjoy Jaws 2 as much. However, Jaws 2 has more melodic parts to it, and has some good action music. If you like the first one, you probably will like the second one. I have both, and I like them both.

~Harry

There's also a Close Encounters special edition available (the one with 26 or so tracks).

If you are lucky, you can get the "expanded releases" of 1941, AI, Born of the Fourth of July, and Hook. :mrgreen:

~Harry

Do you mean official expanded scores, or all versions of expanded scores that include items like the Academy promo of A.I. and more boots than Imelda Marcos had shoes? For example the "expanded" 1941 is usually the "score only" track from either the laser disc or DVD.

Best place to check and see what is currently in print: Intrada Records. Screen Achives has at least one boot available on its website.

Peace.

Bruckhorn, who notices that Harry is nearing a thousand posts on the new board. Oy!

It's outstanding! I think the main theme is still used a lot, but in a different way than in the first score - here it is used it countless variations, never "plainly" as far as I remember. Plus the finale has one of the best bits of ocean music ever heard.

Marian - who has all the mentioned official expanded releases, except for the newest E.T..

Luke, the answer to your question about Jaws 2 is yes it is worth it. It is a minor masterpiece.

but before you get the expanded Jaws, try to find the original soundtrack. It is a superior listening experience to me, though both are great I like the concert type arrangements of the originals tracks, compared to the actual expanded soundtrack. Both have their pluses. You can get the expanded anytime now because that is the regular release now, but the original can still be found and it is usually under 10 US dollars here.

Is JAWS 2 good and worth buying?

Yes, especially if you can find it. It's now out of print.

As for the original Jaws, I have all three albums. The original that Joe praises (and rightly so), the expanded release and the Varese re-recording, which is fantastic, and the only Jaws album in chronological order.

Neil

If it's by John Williams it's worth having.

But this is worth having more than a few of his other scores but is not Williams at his best.

Tricky, they are both better than Jaws 2 but Jaws 2 will progressively get harder to get being out of print.

The expanded releases I have are

Superman (Movie, not the re-recording)

CEOT3K

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

E.T. 20th Anniversary

The Empire Strikes Back

The "unofficial" expanded releases I have are

A.I. Promo

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

I made my own 3-CD set for Hook (over 190 min of music!).