1. 1.

• Love Theme from Attack of the Clones
    • Love Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Love Motif from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Love Theme from Superman
    • 'Love Theme' from The Empire Strikes Back
    • Love Theme from Cinderella Liberty
    • Love Theme from Jane Eyre

That's a toughie, I know; JW has written quite a few great love themes. I, however, will have to go with the AOTC love theme. It's just SO beautiful...

My favorite Non-Williams Love Theme is the one from Cinema Paradiso (1988) by Ennio Morricone. That one brings tears to my eyes.

--Pelzter.

PS : Let me know, it I left some out!

Just for the record;

The Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso was written by Andrea Morricone, Ennio's son. However Ennio did write an unbelievably gorgeous theme for the film that is as good as Andrea's theme.

Bye,

Roald

Oh this is a no brainer,

The love theme from Superman is one of the greatest pieces of film music ever. None of the others come close.

It was hard for me to choose between Superman and AOTC--both are so beautiful, but in strikingly different ways. I went with Superman, just because I have known it longer ( and you gotta love that finale! ).

Ray Barnsbury

Morn, I think all are nice, but as I said only one is a true classic.

Which is Han and Leia right? :jump: I prefer Spartacus love theme to Superman's ROTFLMAO But Han and Leia, brilliant.

Han Solo and the Princess,hands down.

For other composers,i like the love themes in Clash of the Titans,Krull,STTMP,and Stargate.

K.M.

I prefer Spartacus love theme to Superman's

It's easy to write lyrics to the "Love Theme from Spartacus".

Spartacus

Spartacus

Won't you please,

Give me a kiss?

Spartacus

Spartacus

:)

Neil - who coincidentally has been listening to Spartacus a lot lately. Damn I'd love to have the whole thing, presented like Cleopatra.

:)

I have a bootleg of it, there is a tone of great unreleased material, it's a crime of the height of Indy 2 that it's not released.

There are some great cues like The Mine fulled with the pain of being a slave. "Who is Spartacus?" A very uplifting piece when they all say they are spartacus to save spartacus. Plus more romance music, lots of action music and some source music for the roman armies. Great score :angry:

Neil, Figo, heres a question for you guys,

CAN YOU READ MY MIND?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS YOU DO TO ME?

DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE

JUST A FRIEND FROM ANOTHER STAR

HERE I AM, LIKE A KID OUT OF SCHOOL

HOLDING HANDS WITH A GOD, OR A FOOL.

WILL YOU LOOK A ME, QUIVERING

LIKE A LITTLE GIRL, SHIVERING

YOU CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH ME.

CAN YOU READ MY MIND?

CAN YOU PICTURE THE THINGS I'M THINKING OF.

WONDERING WHY YOU ARE

ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU ARE.

YOU CAN FLY, YOU BELONG TO THE SKY,

YOU AND I, COULD BELONG TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU NEED A FRIEND

I'M THE ONE TO FLY TOO.

IF YOU NEED TO BE LOVED,

HERE I AM, READ MY MIND.

corny song, I know, but I love it just the same. Do either of you have the Maureen McGovern version? I have the 45 and the cd.

Do either of you have the Maureen McGovern version?

Of course. Last year when my theater showed Superman - The Movie I made a special compilation disc and this was the first track on it. :)

Also, I always thought the line was "I'm a fool" not "or a fool". Time to turn on those DVD subtitles!

Neil

I thought that too, but the lyrics sheet I took it from said or a fool.

I agree, I'm sure she says, I'm a fool.

Joe

I'm pretty sure it's "I'm a fool".

Anyways, is it still available that recroding of Maureen McGovern?

Hector - who has to live with the tape with John Williams conducting the Boston Pops and McGovern at the vocals sad.gif

I just checked the DVD. She says, "I'm a fool" as do the sub-titles.

"Who's the more foolish...the fool or the fool who follows him?"

Neil

I'm rather partial to the love theme from Earthquake. Is that such a crime? Top jazz pianist Clare Fischer played on the soundtrack, don'tcha know.

Damien :oops:

I'd pick Leia's Theme, if that were a love theme. None of Williams real love themes comes close (though if I have to pick one, the Jurassic Park theme probably has to be it - and that IS a love theme, if you ask me).

Marian - who considers Leia's Theme one of the most unique pieces ever written.

:mrgreen: Superman

Very lovely piece, Princess Leia... also, I think, it's a little dark IMHO, I remember when I was little I thought it was a mysterious theme...

... but for love, the Love Theme from Superman is my favorite.. very sweet theme...

Hector - who won't get into that more 'coz he's a guy. :mrgreen:

You left out the 1941 love theme (beginning of Track 7). That was pretty good, but not the best. AOTC is second-best. Han and Leia and Marion's theme are tied for the best. Seems like there's a lot more love themes out there than just those.

I voted for Attack of the Clones because I think the music is beautiful. I did almost vote for Jane Eyre because I recently acquired it and can now hear the similarities between the two. :mrgreen:

I chose the AOTC, because I think it is very beautifully written. But if you listen to it closely the beginning sounds simmilar to the Raiders of the Lost Ark love theme. It is still way different so I think it is better than the others, maybe because it is the newest, but I haven't herd Superman's love theme that much (I have yet to get the CD).

Brandon

• 18 years later...
On 6/12/2002 at 10:11 AM, JoeinAR said:

Oh this is a no brainer,

The love theme from Superman is one of the greatest pieces of film music ever. None of the others come close.

I wrote this 18+ years ago and my feelings are still the same. I listen to it lasf Thursday and it still gets me emotional 

I think, the love theme for Elliot and E.T. is best.

But ok, second goes Han Solo and the Princess. It had this tragic vibe in it. I love that.

Edit: Probably, it would not count here anyway. But for a long time my favourite love theme like tune from Williams was The Ballroom Scene from The Witches of Eastwick, but that did not appear in the movie anyway.

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I wrote this 18+ years ago and my feelings are still the same. I listen to it lasf Thursday and it still gets me emotional 

Agreed. The concert arrangement conducted by Debney is so gorgeous. The trumpets at 3:34 in particular make me feel so many emotions at once. 

Tough choice, because nobody has written as many great romantic melodies as Williams has.

Across the Stars, just like Horner's theme from Titanic, is one of those melodies that are surprisingly powerful whenever they sneak up on you.

Voted ESB though, because it seems more mature / realistic, like the romance in OT itself, and it's one of the most complex ones.

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Across the Stars, just like Horner's theme from Titanic

I actually think that, for a "doomed love" kind of theme, Horner did more with  less than half the notes. But then, he was writing for love stories that were so much more inspired.

It has no emotional grounding. Unlike most every other theme here there is zero chemistry betweens the characters that is why it fails

• 2 years later...

I was actually thinking about JW love themes today and...there is just something about The Terminal's that feels timeless, pure and extremely emotional to me.
"The Fountain Scene" is one of my all-time favorite cues, and I think this melody and those chords are just a perfect exemple of what a love theme should be :

terminal.JPG

I have to say, Marion's Theme, Across The Stars, Love Theme From Superman and Han Solo And The Princess are easily my favorite John Williams love themes of all time. They are by far my all time favorites and I listen to all of them a lot. 

'Han Solo and the Princess' is my favourite. And there's something about the tragic nature of 'Across the Stars' that's endlessly compelling.

But I suspect Jane Eyre is actually the best…