Williams in 2003?

Harry Potter

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering, has anything been confirmed for Williams in 2003? I know he has a horn concerto and the Walt Disney Hall piece, but what about film scores? Does he have any for next year?

~Harry, curious

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry, you of all people should know Prisoner of Azkaban will not be out until 2004.

John will be scoring Timeline, directed by Richard Donner, based on the novel by Michael Crichton. This will be an awesome film with an awesome score.

Joe, who knows that if I keep saying it, it might actually happen. Just keep saying, I believe, I believe.

there is more chance of Williams scoring Timeline than any chance of Spielberg doing Ep III, besides he can't direct both Ep III and Indy IV, since they will be coming out only a few weeks apart. besides Lucas says he is directing it. Case closed. but Timeline director Donner thinks Williams to be the best in the business. I just hope he calls him

"Writing for film is not a job for me; it's an obsession - I become more in love with it the more I do it." (John Williams)

This quote made my year!!! He's just finished 4 films in a row started a fifth and has "Catch Me If You Can" next and he says he loves scoring films more and more!!! Yeah Yeah keep em coming......... but who could blame him if after "Catch Me If You Can" (his 6th film with hardly a day off in between), he decides to take a break?????????

With regards to future projects there was a Williams interview mentioned on this site back in Feb of this year, in which he talked about his future projects as being,

"possibly harry Potter 2, an extended piece for Orchestra and Chorus, an orchestral piece, plus new pieces for Dove, Yo Yo Ma and Perlman"

Cool pete!

there is more chance of Williams scoring Timeline than any chance of Spielberg doing Ep III, besides he can't direct both Ep III and Indy IV, since they will be coming out only a few weeks apart. besides Lucas says he is directing it.

Umm, I assume they will both have long production periods meaning that they could be scored at different times. And I assume Spielberg will do anything to help Williams score Indy. Infact they probably already worked this out when they decided on the date.

Chris Columbus already has passed the baton for Harry Potter III. There is a director chosen, and Chris is there to help smooth things out for the new director.

Right now, I don't remember the name, but it's not a huge name director.

Williams has already agreed to the 3rd movie, also.

Joe, is Chriscton himself producing Timeline?

If so, then there is a bigger chance of Jerry Goldsmith scoring it, since Chrichton and him are friends, and he's very often used him in the films he directed and produced.

Also, Donner used Jerry for The Omen, which won an Oscar for it's score, so he knows Jerry is good.

Stefancos- who notices Donner often re-uses actors in his films, but rarely composers.

Chris Columbus already has passed the baton for Harry Potter III. There is a director chosen, and Chris is there to help smooth things out for the new director.  

No there hasn't been a director chosen as of yet.

kenneth Brannaugh has now apparently thrown his name into the mix.

Stefan, the only producers I can find listed are Donner and his wife. Donner is known for producing his own films. I didn't realize he is 72 years old, though doesn't look a day over 60. His films always have style and panache, but he never gets the credit he deserves IMHO. He rarely makes great movies, but he does make really good ones. But best of all he usually makes fun movies.

We will see soon enough who he chooses for scoring the film. Shooting will end in a month or 2 and post production will begin. This is the biggest budgeted film Donner has made.

Crichton, has taken a percentage on the film instead of a lump sum figure. He has not written the screenplay, but may write the screenplay for JP IV.

Like I said earlier, if I say it enough it might come true. Williams to score Timeline, I believe, I believe.

No there hasn't been a director chosen as of yet.

kenneth Brannaugh has now apparently thrown his name into the mix.

I read, I think in Entertainment Magazine that Columbus is taking a brake and helping the new to be director with the run down.

Yes Columbus will help with the transition, because he will be a producer on Azakban, but no director yet. We would know because that is big big news

Timeline is a tale of medival France, and timetravelers

It is a novel by Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park, Lost World, Andromeda Strain, and numerous other novels.

Here is another take on Timeline that gives pretty much the same details, but from a different point of view.

It isn't a "new" tale, but it is a combination of genres mixed together that could form a fun, adventerous movie. It would give John a challenge since its not exactly like anything he has scored before.

2003 might give Johnny the chance to score Timeline. It'll either be a Williams, Goldsmith, or Howard score: Donner's three favorite composers.

If Oliver Stone gets Alexander into production soon, we might the possibility of another Johnny score.......

...not to mention more concert works for Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, amongst others -- including his horn concerto, Disney fanfare. 2005 might give him a chance to release a piano concerto---- or something along those lines. :)

.....and, of course......a possible pre-Indy IV film by Steven....

Director - staying quiet for fear of too much excitement from readers

:) "End Title" from The Scarlet Letter (Barry)

I don't think Williams will do much scoring next year. He tends to slow down for a year after a big year like this. He might do some though.

Billybobab--Who would mot mind seeing 6 film scores every year, if they were all GOOD, and if they wouldn't kill him from too much work and stress.

Director!!!  You're back!!!!!!!

~Harry :)

Harry! I have returned!

Director - who was going to respond, "no, I'm Director", but thought that was overly cheesy and retarded.

:angry: "My Story" from Angela's Ashes

Yes, Crichton wrote Timeline.

Director - who just heard that Ollie Stone is developing a biopic on Fidel Castro that might come before or after Alexander. (Johnny doing Cuban/Latin music.........cool)

JW will be scoring the Matrix Reloaded as well as Matrix Revolutions. :tongue2:

Seriously it would be awesome though. Imagine a kick ass main theme with tons of leitmotif just like SW back in the day.

-Rogue Leader who says "I can dream can't I"? :)

Seriously it would be awesome though. Imagine a kick ass main theme with tons of leitmotif just like SW back in the day.  

-Rogue Leader who says "I can dream can't I"?  :)

eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Luke, almost dying from heart break

-Rogue Leader who says "I can dream can't I"?  :)

thank goodness some things will never come true.

I don't get it??

Why don't you folks like the idea of JW scoring a Matrix movie?? Those films kick ass!! Well ok the first one did.

Seriously though I think JW's style of scoring could greatly enhance the sequels. Especially if he wrote a strong main theme like the first film lacked.

-Rogue Leader who still to this day 100% believes John Williams IS "THE ONE"! :( <----- The Matrix Emoticon :wink2:

williams_composer2.jpg

JW plugs himself into The Matrix.

"Unfortunately no one can be told what my Matrix Score will sound like. You must experience it for yourself!". :(

I don't get it??

Why don't you folks like the idea of JW scoring a Matrix movie?? Those films kick ass!! Well ok the first one did.  

Seriously though I think JW's style of scoring could greatly enhance the sequels. Especially if he wrote a strong main theme like the first film lacked.

-Rogue Leader who still to this day 100% believes John Williams IS "THE ONE"!  :cool: <----- The Matrix Emoticon  :wink2:

I doubt that Williams, at this stage in his career, would be willing to undergo the exertion of integrating score and song track as Don Davis had to do for the Wachowskis for the first film.

I wouldn't want anyone else other than Davis working on The Matrix sequels. And certainly, his gift for marrying the standard orchestra with electronics and as well as appropriately spotting the use of the electronics eclipses Williams's by far.

It may not have had a strong lyrical theme, but the brass waxing/waning motif was a clever touch and reminiscent (for me, at least) of Goldsmith's repeated figure in Patton.

The Matrix is a great score, and I think Williams would agree because he suggested Davis for jurassic park. I don't think Williams could do the matrix 2 better than davis. He's great at that kind of music, though he is terrible at writing themes :(

Just so you know, Williams' Horn Concerto is not on the 2002 - 2003 schedule fro the Chicago Symphony. He may be finishing it in 2003, but it will not be premiered in this season unless there are some significant schedule changes.

Good. That will give us more time to petition Sony for a recording, which should be coupled with new performances of the other brass concerti, for trumpet (excellent though the Denouement version is) and especially tuba (which could have been better on ASV). After all these years of Williams' soundtracks and Pops recordings raking in the millions, wouldn't it be nice if the bean-counters at Sony showed their gratitude by giving the green light to an entire series of Williams' concert works, especially the unrecorded and out-of-print stuff? It baffles me that the most popular composer alive has never had an opportunity to set down interpretations of his more "serious" pieces. How many recordings of the "Star Wars" march (especially with ensembles like the "Skywalker Symphony") do we really need?

I'll agree that Davis could do better at composing original themes, but he's an amazing orchestrator, at least.

I think he did a good job with JPIII, don't you? He might end up doing JPIV so I'm sure he'll do better the 2nd time around.......same goes for his Matrix scores.

Director - who felt Davis didn't need to re-arrange Johnny's main JP theme

Here's what I think of JPIII:

When the themes come in, I totally am disgusted by the arranging and raping of Williams's music. Yes, I said raping. What else can I call it? Can I even say that here? Oh well, I just did.

When the themes aren't around and the action music takes over, then I can handle the score.

His family theme or whatever it is doesn't do anything for me. I would have liked to hear more of the dinosaur JP theme, though.

~Harry, a critic all of a sudden :)

I'm no fan of the JP3 score, but i think when you use words like "raping" you are grossly overdoing it.

Davis arrangents of Williams themes are fine, and you can hardly expect him to re-use the music in the exact same way Williams used it, since it could not possible fit the scenes.

I have problems with the original music Davis wrote, it seems to lack any kind of identity, and the horrible soundquality of the score. (completely unfocused)

The JP3 score was by no means bad, but it's just rather unremarkable.

I still think David Arnold would have been the best choice for JP3.

Stefancos- who considers The World Is Not Enough and especially Tomorrow Never Dies to be unacknowledged masterpieces

I'm no fan of the JP3 score, but i think when you use words like "raping" you are grossly overdoing it.

The JP3 score was by no means bad, but it's just rather unremarkable.

I still think David Arnold would have been the best choice for JP3.

Stefancos- who considers The World Is Not Enough and especially Tomorrow Never Dies to be unacknowledged masterpieces

Well, that is my opinion, and I know you don't like any of my opinions, so too bad.

I do agree that David Arnold should have been given the job. He sounds enough like Williams now, so what would he sound like with Williams themes?

~Harry

I don't think Williams could do the matrix 2 better than davis.

Dammit man! Thats blasphemy!! :)

Of course Johnny would do a better job. Hes JOHN FRIGGIN WILLIAMS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! :mrgreen:

Good. That will give us more time to petition Sony for a recording, which should be coupled with new performances of the other brass concerti, for trumpet (excellent though the Denouement version is) and especially tuba (which could have been better on ASV).

Great idea!

I do agree that David Arnold should have been given the job. He sounds enough like Williams now, so what would he sound like with Williams themes?

Anything but Arnold! Man, can something be any more cheesy than David Arnold? :mrgreen: I think Davis did a pretty good job with the action music in JP3. He did a decent job with the other parts. He's not Williams though :)

Of course Johnny would do a better job. Hes JOHN FRIGGIN WILLIAMS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Compare the Matrix like parts of Minority Report with The Matrix ;) Davis does just as good if not better, except for Anderton's Great Escape and the themey parts ;) Davis must be mega-interested in modern music, because he seems to know it well but doesn't know how to make a good theme :)