Return of the King FILM Discusison

diskobolus

My seen version of gollum's death was the happy one. And here the subtitles were only on some scenes. I think that the subtitles for the other two movies were in the DVDs though.

Luke, who does not understand qenya.

Ah the scene footage with gandalf and the witch king appears in the videogame. but it is not a real scene. you can only hear a voice over of gandalf and it just 5 seconds or few more long.

Does the english version have the all the original voices? I think i read that they were, but the demo didnt sound like ian mckellen... Here the only non movie ones are gollum and Saruman, the rest of the main cast is there.

Well at least dubbing had to have its assets...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke, you have always maintained that Gollum's interaction with the surrounding enviroment was poorly done.

But since most of the footage of gollum is done in a form of digital rotoscope, were they simply remove the image of Andy Serkis in a white pyjama and replace it with the digital image of Gollum the interaction with the surroundings is in fact very accurate.

I'm not sure if i remember correctly but you complained about the scene were Gollum goes fishing in the water and you thought the water effects were badly done.

Well that is in fact real water, and actor Andy Serkis is the guy who did the splashing around.

BTW, i also love the fact that it was Serkis glob of spit when Gollum shows his dislike of Sam's cooking.

ahhhh, the pleasures of the extended behind the scenes footage.. . .andy was very proud of that gob of spit!

What impressed me more though were 2 things: 1. was the fact that he ripped sean's wig off. . .2 that 'massive' computer program.

2 that 'massive' computer program.

That scene at Helm's Deep when the Uruk army advances, right before they stop...I'd never have thought that every single Uruk in that was CGI.

Marian - impressed. :)

:music: The Essential Philip Glass

Well in a film it's mostly a good thing.

But this technology can have be abused outside of the realm of the entertainement industry.

But getting back to the topic, i love the way that they use CGI to makes a lot of things seem realistic, but what I love even more is how they use it to create imahes that look better then anything that could have been filmed in real life.

Just look at the scene were the eagles appear out of the sun to recue Frodo and Sam, they way that image is made up, it looks so beautiful, almost like an 18th century painting depicting some biblical event.

Peter Jackson was filming myth, and it showes.

i agree, in a film it is a great thing to have the line between reality and fantasy be blurred. i highly doubt these movies would be so classic if the effects were not as good as they are. It still ceases to amaze me the amount of work that went into making the movies a success. i mean they 'gave' all the cgi orcs little brains! they knew how to fight at individuals. . the program generated random orcs to make them all different. it's crazy.

For those who care about such things, it might be interested to note that the Lord of the Rings trilogy has become the most nominated film series in Academy Award history with 30 nominations, surpassing both the Godfather trilogy (28) and the Star Wars franchise (21).

Isn't a bit scary when in a movie you cease to know what is real and what is not?

Considering you want to be a director I'd think you'd embrace that. :)

Justin -Who thinks the machines are beggining to take over...

Luke, you have always maintained that Gollum's interaction with the surrounding enviroment was poorly done.

But since most of the footage of gollum is done in a form of digital rotoscope, were they simply remove the image of Andy Serkis in a white pyjama and replace it with the digital image of Gollum the interaction with the surroundings is in fact very accurate.

I'm not sure if i remember correctly but you complained about the scene were Gollum goes fishing in the water and you thought the water effects were badly done.

Well that is in fact real water, and actor Andy Serkis is the guy who did the splashing around.

BTW, i also love the fact that it was Serkis glob of spit when Gollum shows his dislike of Sam's cooking.

I dont know what has to with what i posted or why would you want to start the matter again....

Have you seen the Gollum doccumentary in the DVDs right? Some scenes were trained out and then filmed without serkiss (im sure there are not many anyway). Well i never said Serkis did not interact with the envio, but Gollum is not as big as serkis or his feet ot hands the same length. That's what Gollum seems to be over the things and on ON the things. I complained about the water because there is no glimpse of gollums reflection (thing that they fixxed in ROTK - if not why show it blatantly as the monologue-angry-throws-stone-in-the-water), and i think there should be one, now if serkis footage does not have one, then the water must be that way...

Just try to look at the grass or rocks, he hardly moves one and if so it was Serkis doing, and does not match gollums act with the accuracy one should expect.

Luke, who finds prepostreus Serkis' proudness of his saliva....

MArian, if you cannot spot the CGI uruks, well get some glasses.... :)

I've just checked the DVD for the scene in Ithilien, were Gollum jumps in the water hunting for a fish.

Gollum doesa not seen to cast any visible shadow there.

But if you look at the Gollum documentary you will see that Andy Serkis did not leave any big reflection in that scene either.

It probably had something to do with light and the camera angle, but if real actor Andy Serkis is not casting a big reflection in that scene, then there is no reason Gollum would.

And the reason we don't see a water reflection in the Forbidden Pool is that it appears out of the camwera's view (you can see the bootom of the rock he's sitting on reflecting in the water though.

I'm sorry Luke, but WETA got it right.

I was wondering, does anyone thing the flashbacks (Boromir, Weathertop, and the sword breaking) should be taken out of the extended edition?

They were probably only there to remind casual viewers about what happened, and may seem superfluous to some fans.

I don't think they should be removed out of the Extended Edition. But I do think they were redundant and unnecessary in the theatrical cut. One of the strengths of TTT was that it didn't waste anytime on innecessary flashbacks. RotK did. And that's a pity, because that screentime, as little as it may be, could have been used for other things, that should fill in the plot and character holes that are in the final cut.

- Marc

I don't recall TTT having flash backs. Except for the opening. :)

Justin -Who thinks the flash back to Weathertop in ROTK (when Gandalf is talking about The Witch King) makes the scene more dramatic.

I've just checked the DVD for the scene in Ithilien, were Gollum jumps in the water hunting for a fish.

Gollum doesa not seen to cast any visible shadow there.

But if you look at the Gollum documentary you will see that Andy Serkis did not leave any big reflection in that scene either.

It probably had something to do with light and the camera angle, but if real actor Andy Serkis is not casting a big reflection in that scene, then there is no reason Gollum would.

And the reason we don't see a water reflection in the Forbidden Pool is that it appears out of the camwera's view (you can see the bootom of the rock he's sitting on reflecting in the water though.

I'm sorry Luke, but WETA got it right.

If serkis did not cast anything, then , now, i accept that scene.

Well i think that Gollum did not cast anything when he jumped out of the water to the rock, but again it could be shadowed by the splash. Do you think it was undeliberately that he is not seen in the rock? You cannot either se many pics of his feet and hands when he is walking. And you cannot deny there is a strange feeling in many shots when he is walking...

And well... it has alredy won the oscar so who cares?

Just look at the scene were the eagles appear out of the sun to recue Frodo and Sam, they way that image is made up, it looks so beautiful, almost like an 18th century painting depicting some biblical event.

Well, their eyes look somewhat dead...

Luke, who loves the eagles' scene by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to compare LOTR to Star Wars and I just couldn't get around the fact that LOTR is better. Then I remembered something my high school film study teacher once said: in every genre there is a movie that represent the pinnacle of achievement. (For example, Chinatown in film noir. Independence Day in alien invasion.)

Anyway, I thought, will LOTR always be the greatest epic ever made, with the coming together of story, technology, and design?

Independence Day in alien invasion

Dude someone seriously needs to see Day the Earth Stood Still, no it doesn't have cool special effects, but it has a very well and intelligent written script and good direction.

Thanks to Ren we had the greatest LOTR party the other night! I can not wait to see Return of the king!!! Do to other circumstances I will have to rent two towers again..hee hee!

kaspharm

Being the only attendant and having a LOTR party is ok. If I were going to have a LOTR party and be the only attendant I would have to watch the movie in the day so I could stay wide awake:)

We should invite more people next time.  It was fun.  Who else here has had 'parties' for LOTR, I know Neil isn't included in this.

Define "party"? I had an Extended Edition double feature...two actually, because so many people were coming. I won't do it again though I think, two EE's back-to-back are really tough.

I will of course do a big ROTK:EE screening in November. :thumbup:

Marian - getting ready for London.

I?ve heard speculation that ROTK EE could be five hours or more. So what would be the total amount of time required to watch all three EE back to back . . .(adding in an hour and a half for breaks/eating).