Return of the King FILM Discusison

diskobolus

LOL

I hope we get some more Paths of the Dead. Viggo Mortensen has said that there was this lengthy sequence where they had to run in front of blue screen, and they were presumably being chased by the Dead. Sounds kinda neat. There are also pictures of the Three Hunters having to plow their way through thousands of human skulls. Very Jackson. :)

Bring on the EE!

- Marc, who has to go to school in a few minutes. :pukeface:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost finished with the documentaries on TTT:EE. I can't believe that MASSIVE program. It's amazing what they can do now.

LOL

I hope we get some more Paths of the Dead. Viggo Mortensen has said that there was this lengthy sequence where they had to run in front of blue screen, and they were presumably being chased by the Dead. Sounds kinda neat. There are also pictures of the Three Hunters having to plow their way through thousands of human skulls. Very Jackson. :music:

Bring on the EE!

Yes! "Bring 'em on!" From all of this, my favorite stuff is the extras.

:| Goldsmith Fireworks

London Symphony Orchestra

Jerry Goldsmith

I also assumed there'd be more footage of the dead, part of it being from the ROTK videogame and all the stuff it has on them in there, granted half of it was created for the game but still.

I've seen Merry offering his service to Théoden online. But I don't know if that scene came from the video game. The scene seemed to be completely finished and graded and everything to me.

- Marc, wants his Extended Edition NOW. :|

That scene has been around since the very early trailers.

Luke, who thinks Marian will try it then :|

I dunno. I'm not totally uninterested, but right now, I'd rather try that Quidditch game.

Marian - :P

Yes, that single shot of Merry kneeling before Théoden was in the first preview, but I saw the entire scene, with dialogue and everything. I've tried looking for it, but I can't find it. :P

- Marc

:| John Williams - Binary Sunset (Alternate) from Star Wars (SE)

There probably are some unreleased footage in the game but it'd only be like 15 seconds long at the most, most of the footage is from the Two Towers

Clearly this is one the year's best movie. Visually the film is breathtaking, the acting superb and for a 3+ hour film it moves very quickly.

This film tugs at your emotions and delivers a satisfying end to the LOTR.

Peter Jackson exceeded my expectations for all 3 films and for that I thank him.

Yes, RotK has the worst editing of the three. We did not need flashbacks. We need Denethor's Palantír, dammit! :(

- Marc, who still thinks that's the weakest point of the 3rd film.

When Elrond took off his hood where Aragorn and the army where camping, he should have said:

"Mr. Aragorn, surprised to see me?"

From theonering.net:

To end the evening, Peter told one last story about a gag that was played on Viggo Mortenson during filming at Dunharrow. Peter gave Hugo Weaving a pair of Matrix-style glasses, and as Viggo entered the king?s tent to meet with Elrond, Hugo Weaving stood up, removed his cloak, revealed his glasses, and said: ?Your Dunedain disguise cannot fool me, Mr. Anderson.? Peter called this the ?ultimate geek moment.?

LOL

Read the full article here.

- Marc, :(

Will the Dunedain appear in the Extended version?

Luke, who realised they were not in the movie when Aragorn (in the end) said to the remaining soldiers: Gondor Men, Rohirrim, My Brothers!...etc or something.

Will the Dunedain appear in the Extended version?

I doubt it, since we see no sign of then anywere in the mountain of the Dead, not the battle of Gondor.

Luke, who realised they were not in the movie when Aragorn (in the end) said to the remaining soldiers: Gondor Men, Rohirrim, My Brothers!...etc or something.

Yes, but it's not really important I think.

I wonder if we'll get a longer ending. Most people will probably cringe at the thougth of an EVEN LONGER ending, but I think PJ said in the FotR commentary that the third film was going to end with a V.O. of Galadriel, detailing what happened to the Company after the events of the film, just like there is an appendix detailing that. It would be nice to see, but I think it'd make the ending too long. Never too much LotR, but still...

- Marc

End in style, he must.

Don't know if it has been said already, but I remember some great line from the books, spoiler btw,

where Sam takes the Ring from Frodo when he thinks he's dead, and officially takes over the burden. I think they omitted it to have both Frodo and the public worry about the Ring, but I don't think this 'fooled' the public... I looked forward to this line (can't remember it exactly, at least not in English, but you get the point...).

I love the way that people on line were all like "I really need Return of the King Spoilers! I wanna know what happens!"

its called a book... writen 50 years ago...

Yes, but it's not really important I think.

You mean they appearing or the actual sentence? Of course calling the soldiers brothers does not imply there are dunedain, but it make me thought about it.

If it is the scenes, well give me Dunedain when they have to appear than elven in Helm's Deep....

• 2 weeks later...
I liked Gollum. He looked very real. Except for that scene at the end in the lava. He should have stopped caring for the ring when he was being burned to death.

Did they change that already?In my first viewing a month ago he sort of kept smiling staring at the ring untill he disappeared into the lava.This time around he was squirming in pain as he was engulfed by the lava.

maybe I'm just imagining stuff but it just did not seem that way when I first saw it.

K.M.

I had about four hours to kill this morning so I went to see a matinee of ROTK. (Hey, we all gotta pitch-in for the $1 Billion, right?)

Anyway, at the end of the scene where Elrond gives Aragorn the sword, they exchange two lines in elvish (paraphrased):

Elrond: I give hope to the world of men.

Aragorn: I keep none for myself.

Now the reason why I paraphrased them is because there weren't any subtitles. Now, I see three possibilities:

1) I have developed a sub-conscious understanding of elvish. (Unlikely, as I've never read Tolkien.)

2) I saw a print with subtitles.

3) The lines are in a trailer or some featurette in English, and I remembered them from there.

Anyone know anything about this?

I don't know about this. They were subtitled over here, but we get prints without the original English subtitles, replaced by Dutch subtitles. Interestingly, we sometimes get more subtitles than the original releases. For instance:

In FotR, the Ring's chanting at the Council is subtitled. Not literal, but with a whole text about "they shall all falll into darkness, etc., etc."

In TTT, Legolas line at the smoking Orc carcasses is subtitled (May they find peace in death).

In TTT, Sam talking to Frodo at Osgiliath is subtitled, even though you can't actually hear him speak.

However, I think you must have seen an earlier print with subtitles. I can't imagine they would leave that untranslated. Odd though, that you saw one without subtitles.

- Marc, who has no real answer. :?

I thought about it being cut-off at the bottom, but I didn't notice anything below the screen through the whole movie. Also, a subtitle of Elrond's line at the end (The sea calls us home) showed up fine.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't gone because, I was just about over my LOTR fever. Now I have an uncontrollable urge to see it again.

Has anyone else see nthe movie 6 or more times? since I was a bit surprised that I, who is not a huge Tolkein fan and wasn't a big fan of the first two movies, had seen the movie more than any person I'm in contact with! (note- I am not a member with TheOneRing.net)