Conan the Barber

Melange

conanbarb.jpg

Pulled out my CD of Conan the Barbarian again today. Truly is an excellent score. I always need to put it away for a few months and take it out again later on to appreciate how good it really is. Every track has me engaged in it. I like every track (which is quite rare on a soundtrack). I think it needs to be recognized much more as one of the greats of film scoring aswell as a great album production and release (imo). I'm sure Stefancos will agree with me . P.S : For some of you guys and girls who may of suffered in eternal darkness by not ever hearing this score..Here are some MP3 clips :

http://www.altpop.com/stc/mp3/conanbarb-2.mp3

http://www.altpop.com/stc/mp3/conanbarb-8.mp3

http://www.altpop.com/stc/mp3/conanbarb-12.mp3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conan is just another score from the year 1982, a year that I believe produced more great musical scores during my nearly 42 years on this planet than any other in that period.

E.T. the ExtraTerrestrial, the greatest score ever.

Poltergeist,

Conan,

Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan

Victor/Victoria

Tootsie

An Officer and a Gentlemen

Blade Runner

Sophie's Choice

Gandhi

The Sword and the Sorcerer

all of the above where great or very enjoyable scores.

and there are many more I am sure.

Yes, the Conan score is great.

Yes, '82 did crank out a few good scores. I must admit that I haven't heard all of those, but there are several that I highly admire. :D

Ahh! No! Sio Bibble has come to challenge the Phantom Trio!!!! And he has all aof Naboo under his spell!!! On guard fellow Towner Knights!!! :D

-Chris, Who just ordered two Sio Bibbles, one for me and one for King Mark... (and he better pay me!!! :? ) ;)

Ahh! No! Sio Bibble has come to challenge the Phantom Trio!!!! And he has all aof Naboo under his spell!!! On guard fellow Towner Knights!!!  ;)

-Chris, Who just ordered two Sio Bibbles, one for me and one for King Mark... (and he better pay me!!!  :? ) :)

Sio Bibble? I thoguh it was John Williams.

Hey MAYBE it is John Willimas! :D

Thanks Melange! I haven't heard the soundtrack and really enjoyed the mp3's. I will have to add it to my wish list. Since we seem to share some musical interests in common (ET, CE3K, Wagner) I just ordered Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier based on your recommendation. ;)

Mari

:D Merlin (Trevor Jones)

Melange, judging from the soundclips i assume you have the old Milan version, instead of the newer, expanded re-release by Varese Sarabande?

It's OOP, so tracking down a copy might be hard, but well worth it.

20 minutes of extra music.

Stefancos- who has a CDr of it, but would consider giving a kitney for a real CD. :D

You know Stefan, you only have two kidneys, and you have given those away long ago, so either you are on dialysis, or that urban legend about people waking up in a bathtub withone of their kidneys gone, is true and you have been assaulting people, stealing their kidney just to build your music collection. Brilliant idea. Stefan the ripper. Cool :mrgreen:

Hi Stefancos,

Those MP3 sound clips were just off an internet site i found yesterday. But to answer your question, yes i only have the Milan release. I was'nt aware that there was another one available to be honest. I'll see if i can find it. Thanks for the info.

Marian, i hope you like ST5. As i say, i dont like the entire album. There are one or two tracks which dont click with me. But there are truly some wonderful cues in it :mrgreen:

Conan the Barbarian is one of *the* scores. I didn't know the Varese is newer than the Milan, and I always thought since we had the Milan here, Varese just never released their disc in continental Europe. I've only ever seen the Milan in stores, and Milan discs are usually known to be out of print before they're even out. I also have a CDR of the Varese, some nice additional music.

So what about that re-recording Poledouris has apparently been intending to make for years? Sound on the original recording is better than that of many other scores from the same year, but it still could be a lot better. And I hear Poledouris wasn't happy with the performance.

Marian, i hope you like ST5.

Thanks. I do like it, and I've had it for years - that above was Mari, not Marian. 8O

Marian - who'd like to see Poledouris record a HDCD of the full score with the LSO... :mrgreen:

Hi Marian,

I'm interested in buying that new DVD release of Conan.

Apparently it restores cut scenes, with documentarys on it.

Perhaps there is a isolated score to listen to?....That would be nice.

"KRROOOOOOMMMMM" (Arnie in Conan) LOL

Perhaps there is a isolated score to listen to?

Most certainly not. They were going to do an iso score for one of the DVD releases, but Ford A. Thaxton took care of that and convinced them that it's "stupid" and "bad marketing".

Marian - who is "miss the point". :)

Most certainly not. They were going to do an iso score for one of the DVD releases, but Ford A. Thaxton took care of that and convinced them that it's "stupid" and "bad marketing".

What a damn shame :cry:

The Sword and the Sorcerer

Oh my God, I was just talking about this film the other night! Clearly a b-movie, but more enjoyable than most of the a-movies I've seen in the last few years. Who wrote the music? Do you remember, at the end of the credits there was a promise for a sequel? I don't believe it was ever made, was it? Instead, Lee Horsley found work on television as a beefed-up Tom Selleck. Too bad. I, for one, would have liked to have seen the further adventures of Talon.

Holy man! I've had the radio on in the background all afternoon, and they're playing a hell of a lot of film music. I heard Korngold's "Juarez" a while ago, and one of his "Songs of Farewell," and now, about an hour later, Rozsa's "Spellbound" Concerto!

Last time I was listening to the radio they were playing The Reivers :)

I thought you said you didn't know who Burgess Meredith was? Have you ever seen "The Reivers?" He narrates the picture. Same for the Boston Pops recording. Or did they play the Gerhardt version, or someone else?

Figo, who makes sure to air "The Reivers" (Burgess version) every summer.

I dont  ;)

;) You got the movie? If so watch the end credits and see where it was completely filmed.

Well i see nobody cares but i'll say it.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN was filmed completely on location in SPAIN :)

Conan kid is now a Spanish famous actor.

Director assistant (or second unit director or similar) i think is another famous Spanish director

I think some scenes had to be filmed in Malta also. But i could be wrong about this.

Melange - Who nearly drowned in Malta as a kid :cry:

I think some scenes had to be filmed in Malta also. But i could be wrong about this.

Melange - Who nearly drowned in Malta as a kid   :cry:

Well i don't remember if it said Comletely, but i think it did...

Marian, i hope you like ST5. As i say, i dont like the entire album. There are one or two tracks which dont click with me. But there are truly some wonderful cues in it :)

The score arrived today . . . haven't listened to it yet because I'm listening to Minority Report. I'll let you know how I like it. :)

Mari not Marian ;)

:) Minority Report