The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This site has an entire subforum devoted to Tolkien, but no subforum devoted to the one true successor of John Williams?

11 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

This site has an entire subforum devoted to Tolkien, but no subforum devoted to the one true successor of John Williams?

*waits patiently for the bounty to come in for this comment*

HACK IN THE USSR

GET HACK

Just now, Gistech said:

Since it's clear this is a shitposting thread, here's some shit.

Poop_Emoji.png?9898922749706957214

I've never smiled when I've stepped in it, but each to their own.

I'll go on record by saying that I like his scores. Like Horner, he seems to have genuine talent. He just doesn't know quite what to do with it, sometimes.

JWFan is an objective, authoritative platform for all news and information pertaining to John Williams, and sometimes Michael Giacchino. A bastion of enlightenment, nothing false can ever be found on these pages.

(Except everything on this forum...)

19 hours ago, Quintus said:

For some reason, and unlike the LotR threads, I never tire of Gia bashing threads.

I do. And HOW!!!

Good God, it is quite unbelievable just how tremendously sick I am of it.

The moment that it finally ends cannot possibly come soon enough.

Complaints about Zimmer or Giacchino have a little to do with their actual compositions. They are mostly a reflection of someone's irritation with the quantity and enthusiasm of the composers' fans being disproportionate to the quality of the composers' works.

4 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I do. And HOW!!!

Good God, it is quite unbelievable just how tremendously sick I am of it.

The moment that it finally ends cannot possibly come soon enough.

It's not going to end as long as people have opinions.

It is grating as I've said earlier that it's essentially the same tired things repeated, all hanging on the standards of those who are critical of Giacchino's work. Most of the time, it's harmless trolling, Zimmer and RCP receive more flak, yet often get a pass ''because innovation". 

I don't think it's likely to die down either, as Giacchino is offered more projects that might infringe on people's tastes. I say: suck it up, take the noise of opinions on both sides and then relegate it to the back of your mind until something else comes along!

6 minutes ago, RPurton said:

Most of the time, it's harmless trolling

Trolling is indeed exactly what this is and trolling is NOT harmless. Not even in the slightest.

To my great regret, I know that to be true better than most. This is also why I very strongly object to it.

It is simply and purely sickening. It is also retarted*.

(* = Word deliberately misspelled because it is SO unbelievably stupid that it doesn't deserve to have it spelled correctly!)

Your dismissal of people's opinions, however frequently and repetitively expressed, as "trolling" and all these other hyperbolic adjectives you've conjured up, is a tad silly friendo.  Perhaps more than a tad.  Good grief!

17 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Trolling is indeed exactly what this is and trolling is NOT harmless. Not even in the slightest.

To my great regret, I know that to be true better than most. This is also why I very strongly object to it.

It is simply and purely sickening. It is also retarted*.

(* = Word deliberately misspelled because it is SO unbelievably stupid that it doesn't deserve to have it spelled correctly!)

There isn't enough hatred here for any hurt feelings to be had to begin with, Pieter!

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Your dismissal of people's opinions, however frequently and repetitively expressed, as "trolling" and all these other hyperbolic adjectives you've conjured up, is a tad silly friendo.  Perhaps more than a tad.  Good grief!

"Dismissal of people's opinions"? You are literally making that up! Only an hour ago I wrote this:

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

For the people who do like him, good for them! Why should anyone object to that?

And for those who don't, that's their full right; I sincerely hope they have other music to enjoy instead.

That is not "dismissal of people's opinions". It is the complete polar opposite. :eh:

The word "trolling" in this context was used first by RPurton above. I only reused it, so don't put that on me.

And yes, this whole affair IS silly. It is the very definition of silly. You'll hear no argument from me there.

It is silly behaviour leading to more silly behaviour in an ever-downwards spiral of silliness.

All I have done is to point out that it is silly. I can stop pointing it out, but that doesn't stop it from being silly.

I wish for it to DO stop being silly. But I do not have the power to do that. Not by myself.

Since there are many people involved in the silliness here, the only way to put an end to it is if we all decide to stop it.

Or if we, at the very least, decide to limit the silliness to specific sections of the forum that could be easily avoided.

Then the people who want to be silly on purpose and actually enjoy pointless toxic arguments can go ahead and do just that.

But at least it won't be forced onto the people who are not interested. Unlike now, where it can and does crop up at any time and in any place.

17 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

"Dismissal of people's opinions"? You are literally making that up! Only an hour ago I wrote this:

That is not "dismissal of people's opinions". It is the complete polar opposite. :eh:

The word "trolling" in this context was used first by RPurton above. I only reused it, so don't put that on me.

And yes, this whole affair IS silly. It is the very definition of silly. You'll hear no argument from me there.

It is silly behaviour leading to more silly behaviour in an ever-downwards spiral of silliness.

All I have done is to point out that it is silly. I can stop pointing it out, but that doesn't stop it from being silly.

I wish for it to DO stop being silly. But I do not have the power to do that. Not by myself.

Since there are many people involved in the silliness here, the only way to put an end to it is if we all decide to stop it.

Or if we, at the very least, decide to limit the silliness to specific sections of the forum that could be easily avoided.

Then the people who want to be silly on purpose and actually enjoy pointless toxic arguments can go ahead and do just that.

But at least it won't be forced onto the people who are not interested. Unlike now, where it can and does crop up at any time and in any place.

Especially on every thread about Giacchino's work. It's as if some people are actively trying to change the opinions of the people who like Giacchino's work.

Believe me, I'd like nothing more than for Giacchino to 'git gud'. God knows, I've given him enough chances, I've trialled his music many a time over the years. But it just won't come. So when I see people comparing him with John Williams - and by extension Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner - I am proactively dismissive of these perplexing and insulting(!) views. Giacchino isn't fit to sniff JW's shit! He never will be! It'd be great if he was, but he's had plenty of time to demonstrate it now, and it just isn't happening.

So when I slag off Gia's music and his low level position in the talent heiarchy, you can be absolutely certain I'm mainly trolling the people who in the past have claimed the guy is a suiter to the throne (and they know who they are).

@Pieter_Boelen

For the record this doesn't mean you.

@thestat I'm not entirely sure what the goal of this thread was for you: You start by critiquing the recording techniques of the engineers who record his music, then praise a bunch of his work, without a clear discussion point you're trying to get others to elaborate on.

It's no surprise this turned into a Giacchino bashing thread, so I'm going to go ahead and merge it into the existing main Giacchino thread.

Now everyone, feel free to genuinely discuss recording techniques and/or his music here, let's not just emptily bash his stuff over and over again.  There's nothing wrong with not liking his music whatsoever, but let's have an actual discussion about it and not just empty bashing.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Here is a slightly longer trailer for the upcoming concert at the Royal Albert Hall in October.

See also here an interview from Starburst in which Giacchino answers some questions.

He's a liar! :P

As such a prolific composer, do you instantly know when you’ve hit upon a great theme or piece of music, and is it then a case of matching to right project?

I always write the music after I see the film, not before.

Or he's already forgotten about Jupiter Ascending

19 hours ago, Omen II said:

See also here an interview from Starburst in which Giacchino answers some questions.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading that.

The question about Rogue One and the timecrunch was kind of interesting

You only had four weeks to complete the Rogue One score – did you have to adapt your way of working given the short time period, or was it a case of “just getting on with it”?

I had been planning a vacation following Dr. Strange, after having finished Book Of Henry, Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond. But this was STAR WARS! And that original trilogy is one of the main reasons I am in the business that I am in today. As a kid, I was inspired not only by the adventures of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but by John Williams and his fantastic score. I knew back then that I was going to work in film, and here was my chance to be a part of the Star Wars universe. I had to make it work, time crunch or not.  I basically sat down and went to work as I normally do, creating themes for characters. Looking back, I think my adrenaline shot up so quickly, all I was thinking of was getting it done, and getting it done at a level that I would be happy with if I, as a fan, saw it in a theatre. I talked to my brother about it, and he said, “Come on, you’ve been writing this since you were 10 years old.” The magnitude of it didn’t really hit me until the first day of the recording sessions. We were at Fox, and we used the original Star Wars main title as a warm-up, to have some fun and test our mics. When those musicians started playing that music, I thought, “This is absolutely insane that I get to be doing this.” And then I got really scared. But everyone at Lucasfilm was so supportive, and we really ended up having a lot of fun during the sessions.

It actually ties into this bit from a later question

Since I work with many of the same directors over and over, I often have been speaking to them about their script a lot earlier than the usual time a composer would come in on the project. So, these ideas begin marinating in my brain and by the time I see the first cut, I have a good sense of what the story is that the director wants to tell.

This really explains why Rogue One isn't that effective for me:  Usually, he knows the story and characters of a score he's going to write years in advance, so when he sits down to write it, he has already done years of subconscious writing, marinating on what he knows before he sees a first cut.  With Rogue One, it was a true 4 week rush job, where he didn't know thing one about the film until he got the gig.  And it shows.

I still think it's impressive, a four week deadline with no army of ghostwriters and just the sheer dread of getting it done must've been a killer. I don't think it's a great score, but I think it works with the film.

I think the score is pretty good actually, and he says it right there, the ideas of a Star Wars score has been marinating in his head for decades. Maybe not that specific story, but it's not like he was working from scratch at go.

The result is not your best, but it's easy to forgive him for it. The guy has been thinking about working with SW for all his life and he suddenly sees the possibility of doing it, but he can not give it all because of the time. Maybe if it was not SW, with all the hype around of the project, he would have done something better.

Yeah, he doesn't look like a 50 years old.

About the bland puns (they still do not make sense):

Yeah, it’s become somewhat of a thing, and it is a group effort. It actually started when I was working on Alias with my music editor, Stephen Davis.  We would have these little contests about who could come up with the best title for the cue.  He won most of the time, because he is really great at it. When I started working on other films with different music editors, they wanted to keep it up. It became a little contest between all of us, and it’s something we continue to this day. Some people love them, and some consider it the lowest of humour.

Have you seen the special guests at Giacchino's 50th birthday concert? It's incredible.

Not only is Giacchino personally there to conduct a few pieces throughout the concert, including world premieres, but check this list out -

"Special guests Gareth Edwards (Rogue One), Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World), Carlton Cuse (TV’s Lost) and Pixar alumni Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out), Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol) and Andrew Stanton (who worked with Giacchino on John Carter) will introduce music from their memorable collaborations with Michael."

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2017/michael-giacchino-at-50/ 

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Have you seen the special guests at Giacchino's 50th birthday concert? It's incredible.

Not only is Giacchino personally there to conduct a few pieces throughout the concert, including world premieres, but check this list out -

"Special guests Gareth Edwards (Rogue One), Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World), Carlton Cuse (TV’s Lost) and Pixar alumni Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out), Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol) and Andrew Stanton (who worked with Giacchino on John Carter) will introduce music from their memorable collaborations with Michael."

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2017/michael-giacchino-at-50/ 

Quite impressive!!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Why doesn't he conduct his own recording sessions?

Because he's not a good conductor, and because her prefers to be in the booth

• 4 weeks later...

Okay this is getting insane!

The guest-list just keeps getting more impressive for Giacchino's Royal Albert Hall 50th Birthday concert. As of now, he'll be joined on-stage by J.J Abrams, Matt Reeves, Brad Bird, Pete Docter, Gareth Edwards, Andrew Stanton, Colin Trevorrow, and Carlton Cuse.

https://www.royalalberthall.com/about-the-hall/news/2017/september/j-j-abrams-and-matt-reeves-join-stellar-cast-of-michael-giacchino-celebration/ 

• 2 weeks later...

I am psyched. I have been looking forward to this concert for 15 years, since I found music files in the installation folder of Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. Listening to his oeuvre grow since then has led all the way up to this performance! I am really hoping for Pin-Ultimate Experience.