The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, El Jefe said:

Bummer, Williams was here twice since 2010, Ft Worth and Houston. Giacchino came to Dallas in 2012. Myself and a few members here attended the Williams rehearsal in Ft Worth and met him and got stuff signed.

I went to the Giacchino concert and was able to meet him after the concert and get autographs and a picture taken.

He also had Star Trek and Into Darkness music to picture concerts here as well, San Antonio and Houston I believe. I wasn’t able to attend those. 

I went to the Houston Concerts! It was a great experience, also got to meet him and got a giant signed poster. They had a Q&A session as well. 

• 1 month later...

He talks about it here towards the end. Quite a fun interview during the premiere of Jurassic World in Concert, where they poke fun at their own work quite honestly with a real Paleontologist.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156145840005865&id=73250630864&_rdr 

Interesting -

Giacchino calls this piece “a precursor to a longer piece I’m writing for next year,” the 50th anniversary of the July 1969 moon landing by Apollo 11, “what that meant to the world, and where we go from here.” It too is a joint commission by NASA and the National Symphony Orchestra.

12 minutes ago, Max said:

I've been a daily reader.

We're all so sorry.

12 minutes ago, Max said:

I tried to get a video recording of Giacchino's new "Voyage" piece, but an usher was standing close to me, so I was only able to get an audio recording, if anyone would like to give it a listen. I thought it was a beautiful piece, and I hope an official recording gets released someday! My recording from the back of the Kennedy Center doesn't do it justice. (The orchestra started playing as John Cho finished reading a poem, so the audience claps at the start of the piece.)

Voyage by Michael Giacchino (June 1, 2018)

Just listened to your recording (thanks for that!) and I think it sounds pretty good on first listen!  Didn't bowl me over anything but it strikes the right tone and the theme is nice.  I like the overall structure of the piece.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

Book of Henry was pretty good.

I agree! I love "Research and Development". I really liked all of Giacchino's 2017 scores; I just found myself returning to The Book of Henry less than the others. Still good, though! :)

2 hours ago, Max said:

I tried to get a video recording of Giacchino's new "Voyage" piece, but an usher was standing close to me, so I was only able to get an audio recording, if anyone would like to give it a listen. I thought it was a beautiful piece, and I hope an official recording gets released someday! My recording from the back of the Kennedy Center doesn't do it justice. (The orchestra started playing as John Cho finished reading a poem, so the audience claps at the start of the piece.)

Voyage by Michael Giacchino (June 1, 2018)

Thank you very much for recording this. I hope we eventually get a release of it from Giacchino himself. Though I suspect it will be released with the rest of the music he is writing for NASA anniversaries soon. 

I like the theme. Nice and Americana. Some lovely orchestration, especially so in the first couple of minutes with the soft percussion.

Giacchino has reached the point in his career that anything he writes is going to get released.

What's the last thing he wrote that didn't get a release?  This Is Where I Leave You in 2014 I suppose.  I suspect all his Disney theme park music (Star Tours, Space Mountain, Ratatouille) will come out by Intrada at some point.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Giacchino has reached the point in his career that anything he writes is going to get released.

What's the last thing he wrote that didn't get a release?  This Is Where I Leave You in 2014 I suppose.  I suspect all his Disney theme park music (Star Tours, Space Mountain, Ratatouille) will come out by Intrada at some point.

Toy Story That Time Forgot aired in December 2014 and didn't get a release, so technically that would be more recent than This Is Where I Leave You in September 2014... To this day I'm still bummed that Disney didn't release Toy Story That Time Forgot, especially since they released his Toy Story of Terror! score after that special aired in October 2013. TSTTF had a fun prehistoric/mystical/gladiatorial sound with flavors of his Dawn of the Planet of the Apes style. Every now and then I'll rewatch the special just to listen to the score in the background.

Speaking of his Disney theme park music, I don't think this was mentioned anywhere, but last month Giacchino recorded music for the new Incredicoaster ride:

More music for a future Giacchino / Disney / Theme Park / Pixar short compilation!  Make it happen, Intrada!

The NASA piece is serviceable at best

Seeing the current trajectory, i'll be damned, but yes, Giacchino is very much well poised to follow Williams's exact footstep: scoring movies, then scoring American celebratory pieces

So, it is safe to assume that Los Angeles 2028 Olympic will be scored by Giacchino. The inauguration of 2020's Democrat president will also be scored by him, and many others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, Jay said:

Here's a new 2 hour audio interview with MG

https://www.gilbertpodcast.com/michael-giacchino/

Thanks to Austin traffic being backed up I had 2 hours in traffic to listen to the podcast. Nothing really new for the hardcore film score fan but an entertaining conversation between them. 

Giacchino would fit in nicely here as a member. 

I finished listening to the podcast this morning myself.

It was pretty good!  Gilbert was honestly pretty annoying, but he did the least amount of talking by far; Most of the talking was between Giacchino and the co-host (Frank).  Michael's sister Maria even came on at the end, too.

While it's true most of the stories and information we already known to really hardcore fans, I imagine a lot of the casual listeners would be really interested in a lot of the stuff discussed.

He talked about:  Playing a stormtrooper in TFA, taking Lalo Schifrin out to lunch before scoring MI3 to ask about using his theme, Brad Bird's first instructions to him on The Incredibles (pretty funny), calling up Fiege after seeing Civil War to ask him if he could score Spider-man, saying no to political candidates who wanted to use his Medal of Honor music in their campaigns, getting Williams' approval directly for the Star Tours II music, and all kinds of other stuff.

Really good all around!

I need to get a copy of that 20th Century Fox fanfare that he did for War For The Planet Of The Apes. 😂

3 hours ago, Jay said:

He talked about:  Playing a stormtrooper in TFA, taking Lalo Schifrin out to lunch before scoring MI3 to ask about using his theme, Brad Bird's first instructions to him on The Incredibles (pretty funny), calling up Fiege after seeing Civil War to ask him if he could score Spider-man, saying no to political candidates who wanted to use his Medal of Honor music in their campaigns, getting Williams' approval directly for the Star Tours II music, and all kinds of other stuff.

I did not know that he asked if he could score Spider-man!

Is that the NASA composition?Sounds weird as a concert piece, the first half at least. I think it needs the visuals. Surely sounds like a space craft count down and take off.

The theme is rather medal of honorish :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched GHOST PROTOCOL for the first time tonight. Man, I have such a weird relationship with Giacchino's music; love-hate, I guess you could say. But regardless of the merits of his music, I still can't for the life of me figure out why so many of his scores are mixed to sound so... dry? Dead? Low-quality? I've always noticed and lamented this about his scores and I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse, but GHOST PROTOCOL's score seems particularly egregious to my ears. Giacchino has probably one of the coolest takes ever on the main M:I theme ("Light the Fuse"), and yet the mix makes it sound as though it was recorded with one mic in a high school band room... Actually, scratch that: one mic next-door to a high school band room.

And no offense to the musicians, but the orchestrations on Giacchino's music always manage to make the brass playing sound horrible. I don't even think it's just the mix, in this case. I think it's a lot to do with the fact that virtually every section's instruments are constantly playing in unison. With Williams, you have 3 or 4 trumpets and pretty much each guy is on his own part of the harmony. With Giacchino, all 3 or 4 guys are almost always playing the same note, which leads to intonation fuzziness, not to mention it just sounds amateurish.

Dan Wallin ruined a lot of his scores with a dry recording.  His recent scores recorded by Joel Iwataki instead sound better

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Jupter Ascending is one of my favourite Michael Giacchino scores (if not my favourite)... so I'm game!

Karol

I guess the Live to Projection was never really and option for it so this seems like a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

He said at the end that he isn't currently working on any scores, and his next one will be Spider-man: Far From Home which he'll begin writing in February

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, Jay said:

Holy crap Michael Giacchino is a guest on the latest episode of Doug Loves Movies!! Check it out!

https://douglovesmovies.com

I listened to this this week.

A.  It reminded why I stopped listening to DLM.  I used to be a loyal listener, even went to a taping in LA, but at some point it just stopped appealing to me.  It was all downhill after he stopped doing The Leonard Maltin game.  The games were less interesting, the guests haven't been as good for a while.  I only listen if he has a guest on that interests me, like with Giacchino

B. Interesting that Gia has directed a short film starring Patton Oswalt.  Weird, but I'll watch it when he inevitably just puts it up for free on the internet.

Completely agree that the show was so much better when they did the Leonard Maltin game.  The 2-3 times a year now he brings that back are the best episodes every year

What brought you out to LA?