The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it was a mistake.... the album is now in itunes complete with the sound effects (I know WAHOO!?!?!) and the price is the normal $9.99 AND as a surprise they added a video interview from Giacchino! Nice save Itunes.... albeit a little frustrating at first!

There's no physical CD release.

You can legally purchase it off amazon or iTunes right now

That's fine for those who have come to terms with the fact that having an actual CD to add to the collection is a thing of the past...but what about those luddites among us? This seriously sucks for us nostalgia-fans.

There's no physical CD release.

You can legally purchase it off amazon or iTunes right now

That's fine for those who have come to terms with the fact that having an actual CD to add to the collection is a thing of the past...but what about those luddites among us? This seriously sucks for us nostalgia-fans.

Yes, it certainly does. Smells like an invitation to theft to me.

Loved the movie, by the way. A lot of people won't. Parts of it are very very serious, and parts of it are very very silly, and while I enjoyed all of the parts, I'm not sure they fit together all that well. Probably Pixar's second-worst movie (after Cars), but it's still pretty damn great. The attached short, "Partly Cloudy," is better than most other companies' features.

I'm not happy with it either but I 've come to terms with a few things in technology advancements & pop culture that I don't like.

The sound quality of downloads doesn't bother me so much - it's the fact that I don't have a physical representation of where my money went. If I want mp3s I can just rip the CD when I get it and I can rip it anytime I need, so I don't need to worry about files that I only would have on my computer or Ipiod that I could easily lose. CDs are hardly more expensive than a full album download, are basically permanent, and are replaceable if lost.

Well, CDs require the company to buy the raw materials for the discs, the packaging, and generate the artwork. For digital downloads, all of that goes away.

And CDs are only replaceable as long as they're not a limited release. If I were to lose my CD to the now-OOP Batman TAS Volume 1, I'd be unable to buy another new disc for as cheaply as I bought the first. I would, in fact, resort to begging somebody for a FLAC copy just so I didn't have to pay the $75 I see it for now on eBay. I wouldn't want to.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to our CDs in a hundred years or so, after they've degraded past the point of being able to be ripped.

Well, CDs require the company to buy the raw materials for the discs, the packaging, and generate the artwork. For digital downloads, all of that goes away.

OK then, use part of that spare money to buy some more minutes of re-use fees.

but no, they just go with the cheapest way, with little price discount or more music offered.

That's also a good point - the amount of music we're getting is the same as we would on a CD release. If it's going to be digital only then they should redirect some of that saved money to giving us more music.

Agreed, but that's not how the companies see it. It also costs money for them to organize and maintain the online collection for downloading. If they can cut out the cost of selling a physical product, that lowers their up-front cost and translates into more profit. It's not an incentive to release more music.

Since Disney isn't going to give me the option of buying the CD, I don't see any reason to give them any money for this score. I've got nearly a hundred Disney CDs in my collection, so I've supported their record company plenty over the years, and it galls me that a major film score like this one isn't being given a proper release.

Also, I deeply suspect there will eventually be a CD release. I'll just buy it then.

What would you choose to offer Giacchino to sign?

I had SWON in mind, as its the first official CD i bought from him.

But i have just bought The Lost World, and since its his first released score its also somewhat special.

I think i'll go with swon in the end...

I would probably choose one of the Lost CD's. Listenable or not, his best work.

Karol

As of May 29, I'm not so sure that's true any more. I think Up is the best thing he's done to date.

Tracklist for Land Of The Lost.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...2D066%2D975%2D2

Some good ones on there. I'm hoping the first bonus track is what Giacchino mentioned in an interview. Oops, actually I missed it in the regular tracklisting as well.

I'm looking forward to this score. It's just too bad the movie's got Will Ferrell in it, that means I'll never be able to bring myself to watch it. Just sitting through three trailers during three Star Trek shows was torture.

He's not that bad John. ^_^

I'm going to see this. I love Dinosaurs and the original 70's version was one of my favorite Saturday morning shows back when I was 5 or 6.

The cover is quite amusing, as simple as it is.

#6 "Matt Lauer Can Suck It" ^_^

"End Credits Can Suck It!"

Sci-Fi actually did an all day marathon of the original series, Memorial Day I think it was. I watched a little of it. Now that I'm older I can see the Sid and Marty Kropft fingerprints all over it.

And yes, I will admit the trailers weren't quite as much torture as having to sit through 3 GI Joe ones, at least after Eccleston's appearance at the start. That final shot with the guys in the suits bouncing around the street avoiding missles is just so God awful. You want to laugh yet at the same time it's too horrible to laugh at.

Doing some quick math it looks to be over 50 minutes worth of music.

Short end credits though, probably some damn song in the film.

The attached short, "Partly Cloudy," is better than most other companies' features.

Speaking of...I noticed the music to that is also credited to Michael Giacchino...not sure if it's been mentionned

It's taken me a really long time, but the Alias Season 2 soundtrack is finally growing on me, specifically his more emotional writing. His techno stuff isn't anything special but Fond Memories and Something Fishy have some great writing in them.

The attached short, "Partly Cloudy," is better than most other companies' features.

Speaking of...I noticed the music to that is also credited to Michael Giacchino...not sure if it's been mentionned

I'd not noticed that, but right you are. Makes sense; the score for that short is pretty fine. I wish it'd been on the digital album Disney released. Oh, well, that's what audio ripping is for.

I've seen Up three times now, and it's seemed better each viewing (like most Pixar movies).

It's taken me a really long time, but the Alias Season 2 soundtrack is finally growing on me, specifically his more emotional writing. His techno stuff isn't anything special but Fond Memories and Something Fishy have some great writing in them.

I enjoy certain tracks of the two Alias discs, but I don't think either of them represented the series well at all. Or maybe I'm misremembering the quality of the scores; it's been a while since I watched Alias.

I love both discs. And the first one represents the first season pretty well - but already two or three episodes into the second season you come across some great music that's not on the albums.

Found this article where JJ Abrams gives a nice interview about the mixing of Star Trek (Sound effects and score) and how after Ben Burtt was done he went back in and added some of the cues back in to it. I think this is the first time I've seen a director give the score precedence after Ben Burtt was done! (parts about the score are in the latter part of interview.

Article on POST Magazine

What the hell is Burtt's problem?? Does he really feel so threatened that the music is going to take the focus out of his sound effects?? Does he hate music?? The man is extremely talented and his work on Star Wars will always be a classic and I admire him for that, but really what a jerk.

He did Lifted, also. That was pretty good--some of the early elements seemed kinda reminiscent of CEOT3K in a way, IIRC.

This is awesome, hah:

dsc_6191.jpg

I'm looking forward to the score; to be honest, I hope it's more Up than Star Trek in terms of inspiration. And speaking of Up, it's really grown on me. I think it has an elegance and grace to it that you don't get very often in film scores these days. The waltzy main theme is lovely.