The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael was busy with other projects when MOH AA came out

Again, not true. Michael insisted he write new music for AA. He wanted to write the entire score but the producers would only let him compose 15 minites of new music. Initially, the producers only wanted to use music from the first two games in AA. Michael felt that AA needed its own voice since it was a complete different game then the other MOH's. The producers agreed and Michael got to write some new music which was performed at the same session as MOH: Frontline.

-Erik-

Michael was busy with other projects when MOH AA came out

Erik is correct. The game's makers EA didn't want to spring for the budget for an entirely new MOH score since it was a PC Game and PC games dont generally sell as well as console games.

Eventually the game's developers sided with Giacchino and they managed to talk EA (Electronic Arts the company who published the game) to spend the money for the extra music.

It was scored at the same time MOH: Frontline was in June 2001.

I'm friggin' serious... I was there. I was shooting the MOH: Frontline music video and while shooting the piano player I was reading along with the music. He asked me if I played... and I said, "Not the piano but I did play percussion and sax in highschool."

He said, "Well, I'm sure you can play this."

He showed me the music and said that the the paino part for the main theme was all piano crashes. He showed me how to play a crash and then when it came time to record I played the second take. Michael found out about it and said that the second take was going to be the one that he'd use in the final mix. It was fun! I'll try and find the video footage of me playing to prove it!

Next time I'm asking the percussion players I've I can play the cymbols!

-Erik-

Damnit Rogue, he's just a guy who writes music and loves Williams and looks like a regular nerd. What else besides his music is there to worship?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Damnit Rogue, he's just a guy who writes music and loves Williams and looks like a regular nerd. What else besides his music is there to worship?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dude come on!

What is their to worship about John Williams besides his music?

That point can be applied to any composer.

Exactly my point. Nothing!

BTW, just for the heck of it, I bought Secret Weapons over Normandy, the soundtrack.

----------------

Alex Cremers

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dude come on!

His modesty.

I'm sure Michael Giacchino is a modest guy. How can he not be? One tends to feel modest after listening to the music of John Williams ;) .

No arguments from me on this point! :)

It takes getting used to the studio sound of Normandy. There no reverb tail, non what so ever. It reminds me a bit of how Star Wars is recorded. Perhaps here at the Bastyr University Giacchino should do rerecord the Original Star Wars trilogy. The sound is very familiar. Maybe someone should throw a hint in Michael's direction. He already works for LucasArts. How hard can it be.

Erik, it's funny to see your name in the composer's thank you note.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It takes getting used to the studio sound of Normandy. There no reverb tail, non what so ever. It reminds me a bit of how Star Wars is recorded. Perhaps here at the Bastyr University Giacchino should do rerecord the Original Star Wars trilogy. The sound is very familiar. Maybe someone should throw a hint in Michael's direction. He already works for LucasArts. How hard can it be.  

Erik, it's funny to see your name in the composer's thank you note.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You do know that the score was recording in an church and not in a studio. Check out this picture to see what Bastyr's Church looks like http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/pics/005-S...g-the-stage.jpg

And I'm just curious, why is it funny to see my name in the thank you notes? BTW, did you see my music video on disc 2?

-Erik-

Oooh yeah, the Chapel, I know. I did my homework.

Why it is funny seeing your name in the booklet's thank you note? Do you think I meant "haha" funny? I hope not, Erik. It's more like, "Hey, look, here's that guy from www.jwfan.net!"

Great. I'll check the music video tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I started to listen to SWON and the 1st MOH scores again, I still like MOH a ton because it's nice classic style but I like SWONG a lot because it does stuff a bit different then we're used to in that he brings back all the music from the old war plane movies and makes a great soundtrack out of it with his music.

Can't beat Operation Sea Lion and Siamese Coast

His modesty.

I find his modesty too much. I mean, he has nothing but good things to say about everything or anyone, won't say that he personally thinks one score of his is better or worse than the other. I find it too much. That's why I like Goldsmith interviews better, and I like Zimmer interviews the best. Zimmer goes right out and tells you what he thinks about a score. He generaly has positive things to say, but he still comes off as honest when he talks about the difference between Goldsmith's and Newman's Air Force One (He loves and admires Newman's score), or when he talks about how great Schindler's List and Dances With Wolves are. Or when he talks about which scores of his sucked, or which were the best and worst.

I think Williams is to some extent projecting his own image in the interviews. That's why I love seeing his recording sessions- he seems to be very real there. Authorotative, demanding, very specific and best of all- he'll go right out and tell the players wrong, not good, not right, without sugar coating it, as well as complimenting them when they get it right.

But especialy annoying is how he generaly says the same things over and over again in interviews.

I find his modesty too much.

Maybe John is smarter than Zimmer. At least, I tend to think so. Let the public decide for themselves what there is to like and not to like. I can't imagine Williams badmouthing or praising other men's work like some teenage school kid that desperately feels the need to express himself all the time by giving opinions on everything and everyone. Given his position as the number "1" film composer in the industry, such outlets can, in time, only work against you. Spielberg knows it too. He has opinions about every director out there but he wisely keeps it for himself. Boring as it may be, it's an attitude that I greatly admire in an artist.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You don't want to hear an alternate interpretation of the great music with modern sound quality?

Alternate interpretation? Who needs any interpretation except the one from the Master himself? :)

You don't want to hear an alternate interpretation of the great music with modern sound quality?

Alternate interpretation? Who needs any interpretation except the one from the Master himself? :)

I don't want an other interpretation but I would like one with a decent sound quality. If it takes re-recording the whole shebang, then I'm all for it!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alternate interpretation? Who needs any interpretation except the one from the Master himself?

Ohh I'd like to see what another conductor might do with the music, because it's so great, I want to hear it a bit differently or perhaps even better versions of it.

Here's hoping, along with hopin for the Rising Sun soundtrack to come out

I've been browsings eBay for a while waiting for some to come up

I still dont get why some people say the Original SW recordings have bad sound quality. I have the Special Edition CDs and the sound quality is great IMO. Then again I am not some die hard audiophile like some of the folks we got here.

I still dont get why some people say the Original SW recordings have bad sound quality. I have the Special Edition CDs and the sound quality is great IMO. Then again I am not some die hard audiophile like some of the folks we got here.

Return of the Jedi does not sound great in any sense of the word.

Neil

It's almost painful to listen to, those SE versions. Any more or less truthful speaker will tell you that.

But Normandy sounds too boxed. There's something wrong with the spaciousness in the fact that there isn't any. The orchestra and especially the string sections suffer big time from this. There's no air!!!

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's almost painful to listen to, those SE versions. Any more or less truthful speaker will tell you that.

But Normandy sounds too boxed. There's something wrong with the spaciousness in the fact that there isn't any. The orchestra and especially the string sections suffer big time from this. There's no air!!!  

----------------

Alex Cremers

I dtill dont get this at all. Maybe its because I listen to all my music on a regular CD player and a simple stereo and not some massive surround sound system where you can hear every individual instrument or something like that.

I guess I am just not nearly as picky as some people when it comes to sound quality.

If you can hear the music clearly which you can with the SE's then its good enough for me.

Oh yeah and Alex. SWON sounds too boxy? What do you mean? Not enough reverb or something?

ANH sounds flat and old, TESB sounds... weird and just poor in quality, although it has a nice tone and reverb level. ROTJ sounds tinny and unclear.

Oh yeah and Alex. SWON sounds too boxy? What do you mean? Not enough reverb or something?

He probably means small room reverb. :|

Yes, the Chapel were it's been recorded is pretty big although a bit narrow. I don't have the impression that it's really where it has been recorded, as if they forgot to record the hall's ambience. I like "in yer face" recordings but there has to be some sense of space too.

----------------

Alex Cremers

If you can hear the music clearly which you can with the SE's then its good enough for me.
ROTJ sounds tinny and unclear.

Tinny? The first time I played the SE of Jedi I had to make sure my tweeters weren't blown out. There is very little high frequency on it and the whole thing sounds very muffled.

Neil

MP3s? Has Morn been stealing music? :P

Well I cannot scold him. I probably am the RIAA's Public Enemy #1! :)

Let's see if I understand this correctly. A big part of your life evolves around music but you're not willing to do something back? If everyone thinks this way there wouldn't be any more music for you buy or copy/download. You'll have to make it yourself! Shame on you, Rogue, for not supporting the good things in life! It's wrong and you know it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I understand. And I have nothing against that. But let's leave bootlegs out of this. They're pressed in very limited numbers and their content is usually different. I don't see why artists should suffer from bootlegs.

It's the excessive copying that could lead to unwanted situations that worries me. More and more people don't care about purchasing the legit stuff anymore and are obsessed with downloading everything the sharing programs are offering. They only care about the music and not where it comes from or where it's stacked. It is this that I find troubling and the fact that some people take pride out of the fact that they are doing it. Don't try to look for excuses. If we all stop buying and start downloading, it will be senseless for music labels to keep on releasing CDs. But what do I know...

----------------

Alex Cremers

MP3s? Has Morn been stealing music? ;)

Well I cannot scold him. I probably am the RIAA's Public Enemy #1! ;)

Let's see if I understand this correctly. A big part of your life evolves around music but you're not willing to do something back? If everyone thinks this way there wouldn't be any more music for you buy or copy/download. You'll have to make it yourself! Shame on you, Rogue, for not supporting the good things in life! It's wrong and you know it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

OH come on Alex! I was just joking. Stefan makes a completely true point about the INCREDIBLY overpriced CDs out there.

Besides thats not to say ALL the music I recieve now is MP3. I regularly buy new CDs. I recently bought The Last Samurai score last week in fact. I also buy almost every new JW CD release.