The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

As mentioned above, if Varese releases a volume II, it will be full of the unreleased music. Not like the crap 2nd albums for Braveheart and Gladiator.

and back to the titanic, though this one had some more useful material.

Yes but it was still more commercial oriented.

Varese's Volume II won't have dialogue or newly composed suites.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once this Vol. 2 Comes Out, the unreleased portions combined with the cues from the OST release, in film order, would make for a better playlist.

I kind of have a list of cues that are Essential, and others that I would love to have, but not as important. The best would be Complete+Alternates, but here are my A and B lists (from Datameister's fan edit):

The A List

For me, these cues are noticable by their absense, and represent unjustified omission from the OST.

- Distress Call (This cue includes a great lead-in to Enterprising Young Men, and hilights the character moments and sense of fun of the movie.)

- The Drill Team (Great music from the use of Nero's theme, good tension scoring, personal moments, and some great mystery music that stylistically hearkens back to TOS)

- Fighting Fire With Fire (Perhaps one of the best action cues in the movie, with a sense of motion and conflict that is unmatched.)

- Aspockalypse Now (An absolutely unfathomable omission, and one of the most interesting cues in the score. Highly evocative of the scene.)

- Lament for Vulcan (A gentle, heartfelt cue that showcases the Vulcan material, and the sadness that Spock cannot openly express.)

- Always a Bigger Fish (A fun, tense action cue that departs stylistically from the rest of the score.)

- Starfleet Regulation 619 (A heartwarming moment with Spock Prime expressing that he was emotionally compromized)

- Child of Two Worlds (Perhaps one of the most beautiful renditions of the Vulcan theme in the movie, and a great moment in the film)

- Jim Runs a Titan Ship (Starts with a bold fanfare as the Enterprise rises like a phoenix, and Kirk and Crew prepare to start their rescue mission)

The B List

These cues are considered "nice to have", though not essential to adequately represent the score.

- Bye, George (Tense drums, atmospheric and grim, capturing the scale of the threat that just attacked them.)

- Growing up Green Blooded (Interesting introduction to the Vulcan material)

- The Reeling McCoy (Great rentition of the TOS theme for the moment Kirk and Bones met)

- Jellyfishing (Starting with a brooding introduction for Nero's theme, and leading to Spock emerging.)

- Jimmune Reaction (Tense music ad Jim Kirk realizes they are heading into a trap.)

- The Jump (Good action scoring for the space dive, and the Red Shirt moment.)

- Chekov's Rapture (Great action scoring for Kirk and Sulu tumbling without parachutes, and Chekov rushing to beam them up.)

- Romulinterrogation (Nero telling his story while torturing Pike with the Centaurian Slugs. Creepy)

- Scotty Goes For a Swim (Fun piece as Kirk chases scotty through the pipes)

- Come With Me, Cupcake! (A short action cue as Kirk and Scotty rush through Engineering, and a familiar Security officer captures them)

- Main Title (Although edited from Enterprising Young Men, it works so well in it's place)

Of course, the more the better, but I'd be satisfied with the A List, cues from the B List would be a bonus.

One thing that could be done, to make it a good album experience, would be to add Spock's narration to the To Boldly Go / End Credits piece.

One thing that could be done, to make it a good album experience, would be to add Spock's narration to the To Boldly Go / End Credits piece.

as long as:

a) they dont pay for it again so some unreleased music gets no money and therefore remains unreleased

b) the cd has enough space and the inclusion of the 7 minutes end credits does not mean leaving out more unreleased music.

BTW this should be pretty easy to rip from the dvd or BD

Yes all reports indicate that Giacchino composed an original main title, but it was rejected and replaced with material tracked from "Enterprising Young Men". The original should be on the Vol 2 CD.

I'd just as soon they left Nimoy's narration off the album.

Why? We already have To Boldly Go without the narration, so having a version WITH it is appropriate for those who want it.

Personally, I don't need it, but it would still be nice to have, would it not? And it would also make it work better as an Album.

As for the Main Title: I'd love to get the Enterprising Young Men edit as used in the film, but the Main Title version he composed would be good on there as well.

The Datameister edit pretty much has the Nailin The Kelvin/Labor Of Love/Main Title (Enterprising Young Men Edit) mix pretty much perfect, so I'd likely use THAT in my custom playlists.

It is on my B List rather than my A list though.

as long as:

a) they dont pay for it again so some unreleased music gets no money and therefore remains unreleased

b) the cd has enough space and the inclusion of the 7 minutes end credits does not mean leaving out more unreleased music.

BTW this should be pretty easy to rip from the dvd or BD

I agree 100%.

It's indeed easy to rip the voiceover from the DVD (and, I assume, BD). The center channel contains the voiceover prominently, with a little bit of the music heard softly beneath (in mono, of course). If you overlay that onto the OST and adjust the volumes appropriately, it sounds pretty good. I added a little bit of echo to mine, a la TWOK. Note that there's some low humming from the Enterprise, though, which is kind of annoying, and if you're not careful, the sound of the ship warping away will make it into the edit, as well.

I'd just as soon they left Nimoy's narration off the album.

Why? We already have To Boldly Go without the narration, so having a version WITH it is appropriate for those who want it.

Right, I forgot about that.

Just FYI, it is indeed easy to work with the Chris Pine voiceover. The center channel has absolutely no music, just Pine doing the voiceover, and you can drop that into "To Boldly Go" quite easily. The timing works out just fine. Add a little bit of reverb to give it more life, adjust the volume appropriately, and there you go. The only thing is that darn tinkling noise...not much way to get rid of it, since it happens while Pine is talking. But oh well.

If you watch the gag reel on the first DVD, it starts with the original TOS theme recording (I want to say 2nd season?) with Chris Pine doing the voiceover on top. I don't know if that was recorded for use in the actual film, but I suspect it was. And like I said, it rips perfectly cleanly, with the exception of an annoying tinkling sound effect at one point.

Well, that makes perfect sense, if it was recorded for use in the film before they decided to use Nimoy's voiceover instead. It would have just been dropped into the gag reel as a little goodie since it wasn't used elsewhere.

Braveheart 'MMF' wasn't crap, that was a disaster on every level. There's no genuine unreleased music whatsoever as far as I can tell.

Bring it on Townson :)

Off topic and late here, but actually it does contain a bit of genuinely (previously) unreleased music.

- "Prologue" has an extended intro that can be added on the front of "Main Title"

- "Outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes" is, I believe, the actual source music from that part of the movie.

- "The Royal Wedding", more clean source music. (I guess this is source...)

- "Scottish Wedding Music" is again more clean source material but is still nice to have.

- "Prima Noctes" is really nice. And clean.

- "Vision of Murron" for me is a real gem. Clean and also previously unreleased.

I think that's it. The rest is just a waste, which is a real shame because they blew a perfect opportunity to include the film version of 'For the Love of a Princess'.

(Fortunately the DVD rip is half decent.)

I thought Chris Pine did a pretty good job for that "Space The Final Frontier" bit.

I agree. It's a solid take on the famous monologue, and would have worked just fine in the film - but I can't complain about Nimoy's, either, and I'd say Pine will have a lot more chances to do it in the future than Nimoy will.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Giacchino has been double-nominated for the Grammys (Star Trek and Up). And Married Life (From Up) is in the "Best Instrumental Composition" contest, while "Up With End Credits" is in the "Best Instrumental Arrangement" category (Sometimes I wonder about the classification criteria...)

Want to download Michael Giacchino's complete score for UP (2009) for FREE?

1. Go HERE

2. Type in the code "latimesdisney"

3. Download!

Offer ends tonight

Want to download Michael Giacchino's complete score for UP (2009) for FREE?

1. Go HERE

2. Type in the code "latimesdisney"

3. Download!

Offer ends tonight

Awesome, I missed that! I'm still shunning non-physical releases so I haven't gotten this yet. Thanks ?-Man!

Koray is correct, this isn't the complete score. It's the same as the iTunes release, minus the song and SFX tracks.

But it's still a great way to get a fantastic score.

That's not the complete score. I have the FYC promo anyway, and I think that is nearly complete, if not complete.

Its missing the arrangement of the bizet cue from carmen. Nothing big, but it was nice.

On the Star Trek DVD commentary the pronounce Giacchino(Guy-e-chino) b/c in one of my threads for Micheal Giacchino I asked people how do you pronounce his last name.

His website lists it as "Jyah-kee-noh." Wikipedia says the Italian pronunciation is "Jah-kee-noh." I've heard people who've worked with him pronounce it "Jee-uh-kee-no."

yeah, its either the 1st or the second.

the former because giacchino says it and the latter because the word is italian and therefore has an italian pronunciation.

They're not eligible, hence the separate category. But who knows, the Academy has demonstrated many many times that their rules don't mean shit. There are problems with the best animated film category. I mean, they are still films, so they should be allowed to be nominated for best picture. However it also gives them a chance to be rewarded since they most likely wouldn't be if they were running up against live action.

They're not eligible, hence the separate category. But who knows, the Academy has demonstrated many many times that their rules don't mean shit. There are problems with the best animated film category. I mean, they are still films, so they should be allowed to be nominated for best picture. However it also gives them a chance to be rewarded since they most likely wouldn't be if they were running up against live action.

No, no, no.

The Academy has no rule whatsoever that says animated films are ineligible for Best Picture consideration. The separate category was created specifically so that when highly-thought-of animated films (like Toy Story 2, which, along with The Iron Giant and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, was probably directly responsible for the category's creation) are released, the Academy has something to do with them and doesn't have to simply ignore them or only give them awards for their music.

You might recall that last year, there was a big push for WALL*E to get a Best Picture nomination. Didn't happen, despite being almost universally acclaimed as one of the two or three best films of the year.

So, no, the Academy has no rule prohibiting animated films from nomination ... they just seem to have no stomach for actually doing so.

Incidentally, I predict Giacchino wins for Up this year, and picks up a second nomination for Star Trek.

Wikipedia says the Italian pronunciation is "Jah-kee-noh."

That's the right pronounciation. When he was in Torino (Italy) last month he said "I'm glad to finally hear my name pronounced correctly!" :)

:)