The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Talking about Giacchino's visit in Italy last month, I had the real pleasure of meeting him for an interview.

I finally published the interview on the website ColonneSonore.net. You can watch the interview (and listen to the audio podcast version) here.

(the nincompoop who's interviewing him is me :))

Let me know what you think about it!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying the interview, Maurizio. Always cool to have one of our own get to talk with a talented film composer. :) I love how he refers to half of the score to Lost as "uncomfortable", which is exactly what it is. Brilliantly so. Can't say I agree with him about Dan Wallin's mixing techniques, though...I tend to find it more difficult to hear the individual instruments in his work because of the way it's recorded and mixed.

Oh, and a little critique - I'm not a big of the camera work in the interview. The motion is a little distracting. It may be comparatively boring to just plop the camera down on a tripod with a 3/4 view of the interviewee and a simple background for the whole thing, but it works.

Ah, gotcha. In any case, like I said, I'm loving the interview. I just got to the part where you mentioned DVD rips and fan edits, which I got a big kick out of for obvious reasons. It's so great to hear from a composer who completely understands that because he used to do the same sort of thing.

Talking about Giacchino's visit in Italy last month, I had the real pleasure of meeting him for an interview.

I finally published the interview on the website ColonneSonore.net. You can watch the interview (and listen to the audio podcast version) here.

(the nincompoop who's interviewing him is me :))

Let me know what you think about it!

Good stuff!

Very nice guy.

And I'm glad as well that you slipped in the dvd-ripping point. It's one of those "you know it goes on, but you don't want to officially talk about it" subjects and it's good that there are some composers who understand our severe mental anguish :)

Oh, now I remember why I was originally coming to this thread. I'm watching Flight of the Navigator for the first time since I was...I dunno, maybe 9? Anyway, I find it very interesting how Giacchino's theme for Space Mountain at Disneyland bears some resemblance to Silvestri's theme for this film. (I think it's the main theme...) They're not note-for-note identical or anything - the FOTN theme is much shorter, for starters - but they both start with that majestic and alien-sounding pair of major chords a tritone apart, and even sound melodically similar for that phrase. Of course, Space Mountain uses theremin, orchestra, choir, and electronic drum beats, whereas FOTN is mostly synths, but the similarities are there.

(Mind you, I always knew Space Mountain's music was supposed to be a bit of a pastiche, not an all-original work, but this has got to be the strongest similarity I've heard so far.

Dan Wallin is what is holding Giacchino back.

I can hear more of what the instruments are doing in Bruce Botnick's wet mixing of Goldsmith scores than Wallin's front and center mishmash. And at the same time the music exudes orchestral power, something Giacchino's music lacks because of the hideous mixing.

And if he was serious about album order...explain Star Trek. :)

I'm not familiar enough with Goldsmith's body of work - shameful, I know! - to be able to agree or disagree with that, but I know that TPM sounds a thousand times better than the flat blur of sound that is TWOK, which I know Wallin mixed. A morbid thought, but I do wonder what Giacchino's work will sound like when Wallin passes away or retires and a new mixer has to be brought in.

TPM is one of Murphy's best mixes. And it actually sounds close to a Botnick mix (who I hold as the best sound engineer ever for soundtracks).

But compare something like "The Droid Invasion" from TPM Ultimate Edition (blech, I know, and a slightly different (better) mix from the original album), and compare it to the end of "Does it McFly?" from Star Trek.

One makes you feel the presence of a ship taking off. One sounds like the music has big ambition...but ultimately sounds dinky thanks to the mix.

I'm not familiar enough with Goldsmith's body of work - shameful, I know! - to be able to agree or disagree with that

If you ever want to hear perfect sound mixes....check these Goldsmith scores out:

1. Small Soldiers

2. Star Trek Insurrection

3. The Mummy

4. The Haunting

5. 13th Warrior

They come from what I'd say is Botnick's perfection of a score mix. What makes them so much more impressive is the combination of almost concert level reverb and uncompromising clarity, two concepts which are antithetical to each other.

Well, I think the mix works fine for some parts of Star Trek, and to a certain degree, I've kind of just gotten used to that sound in Giacchino scores. But yeah, the TPM UE really does a nice job of showcasing exactly how an orchestral recording really should sound for these sorts of scores. (Unless you're going for the raw, closely-mic'ed sound of the 1970s LSO or something, which has its own significant appeal.) As much as I enjoy the score to Star Trek, I just cannot fathom how awesome it would sound if it had been recorded and mixed the same way TPM or TMP or the like were.

I've played around with the score in Logic Studio trying to get it to sound...better. And that's what I listen to on a regular basis now-a-days. But you can only do so much with 2 final channels. ;)

Does anyone have any clue if it's worth to buy the 2-DVD release of "Up"?

From what I can understand, it has a couple more bonus features than the regular release, though the Blu-Ray has VASTLY more than that.

It also has a digital copy of the movie included, which I really couldn't care less about.

So is there anything on that second DVD of "Up" that is really interesting?

Does anyone have any clue if it's worth to buy the 2-DVD release of "Up"?

From what I can understand, it has a couple more bonus features than the regular release, though the Blu-Ray has VASTLY more than that.

It also has a digital copy of the movie included, which I really couldn't care less about.

So is there anything on that second DVD of "Up" that is really interesting?

Now that "Up" is actually released on DVD, does anyone have an answer on this?

Or does anyone at least know the running time of the features on Disc 2?

Dunno, I just bought the blu ray. I'm sure you can use google to find an answer. Maybe www.dvdtalk.com would be a good place to start

This is what I found that is on the 2-disc, but not the 1-disc:

* 96:00 - Commentary by director Pete Docter and co-director Bob Peterson.

* 4:56 - The Many Endings of Muntz - Many ideas were hatched about how to dispose of the film's arch villain, Muntz, and now viewers can see the many alternate endings proposed during story development.

* 22:17 - Adventure is Out There - This action-packed documentary tells the story of the filmmakers' own trek to the tepuis mountains of South America to research the design and story of the film.

* Digital Copy

* Different cover art

* Steelbook case

Regular edition: .................................................................................................................... Special edition:

1002004007254916.jpg vs. 1002004007254917.jpg

These are the features for the Blu-Ray:

* Cine-Explore - A visual montage of concept art, clips and documentary coverage that illustrates the directors' commentary.

* Geriatric Hero - A character study of Carl, from research to realization including art and design, rigging, animation and story. It focuses on the issues of aging, "simplexity", shape-language and compelling character arcs.

* Canine Companions - For anyone who ever wondered where CG puppies<BR>come from, an introduction to the design, behavior and language of dogs.

* Russell: Wilderness Explorer - A character study of Russell from inspiration and design to finding the character arc and authentic voice for this wilderness ranger.

* Our Giant Flightless Friend, Kevin - Find out how avian research and development at Pixar helped bring a mythical, 13-foot tall iridescent bird to life.

* Homemakers of Pixar - Carl and Ellie's house is an important "character" in the film. Fans follow the development of the house from story to art to its ultimate realization in the computer.

* Balloons and Flight - Carl's house and Muntz's dirigible presented the filmmakers with two different problems-how could they make a physical impossibility possible? And, in the case of the dirigible, how would they unearth a fallen giant and let it soar?

* Composing for Characters - Composer Michael Giacchino returns to score his third Disney Pixar feature film. See how the Up filmmakers collaborated with Giacchino to create the memorable score and compelling musical themes.

* Married Life - The original story concept that became the powerful "Married Life" scene, showing Carl and Ellie's love story.

* Global Guardian Badge Game - Players try to locate countries, states and capitals around the globe in a multi-layered BD-Exclusive geography game enhanced by BD-Live.

* Digital Copy & Standard Definition DVD

The Blu-Ray features sound much better, but of course I have no player that can play Blu-Ray discs.

The additional bonus features on the 2-Disc edition sound disappointing by comparison to say the least.

Not to mention the cover art is inferior to the 1-Disc edition and I don't like steelbook cases at all.

And I couldn't care less about a "digital copy". That has to be one of the most useless "inventions" ever.

I did find all the above before, but I find it rather hard to believe that those features mentioned for the 2-Disc is really all there is to it.

There is this message that I found here that tells a different story:

Yes, it is worth the $6.00.

Disney's charging $29 for the single-disc DVD, which includes the "Partly Cloudy" short film that played alongside "Up" in theaters, and a new animated short called "Dug's Special Mission."

If you want more special features, you can go with the two-disc special edition, $39, which includes all of the above plus directors' commentary, making of, deleted scenes, documentaries.

The four-disc Blu-ray extravaganza, $45, includes even more behind-the-scenes information - tutorials on how the animation was done, documentaries on how the Pixar animators traveled to South America to study the foliage, promotional material, theatrical trailers, etc.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/special-features-Two-Disc-Edition-Digital/forum/FxHBG84VFGEDVW/Tx24INFX51XGS2G/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B002LK3DUQ

In other words, it is just plain confusing and I was hoping to be able to find someone here who might know for sure...

According to Amazon.co.uk, this is what's on the 1-disc:

DVD Deluxe: Theatrical Short, Partly Cloudy

Exclusive Short, Dug’s Special Mission

Home Theatre Maximizer

Director Commentary w/ Pete Docter & Bob Peterson

Feature Documentary, Adventure is Out There

Alternate Scene, The Many Endings of Muntz

Learn How to Take Your Favourite Movies on the Go

You're right, Charlie; Amazon.com DOES say that.

But then there isn't a 2-disc edition listed there at all, which apparently does exist.

What documentary is that, QuestionMarkMan? Can it be found somewhere?

What documentary is that, QuestionMarkMan? Can it be found somewhere?

Brad Bird has Giacchino's son make a documentary of the scoring process. It's only on the Blu Ray as far as I know

According to Amazon.co.uk, this is what's on the 1-disc:
DVD Deluxe: Theatrical Short, Partly Cloudy

Exclusive Short, Dug’s Special Mission

Home Theatre Maximizer

Director Commentary w/ Pete Docter & Bob Peterson

Feature Documentary, Adventure is Out There

Alternate Scene, The Many Endings of Muntz

Learn How to Take Your Favourite Movies on the Go

I can now confirm that this is, in fact, correct.

I got fed up and just bought the one-disc edition.

Beats me what's on that second disc then. The digital copy?

Or maybe some of those features of the Blu-Ray disc?

I'll probably never find out. Anyway, thanks for your help. :angry:

Here's another question for you. Has anyone looked into putting the music from the Ratatouille OST and the other CD together to make a more complete edition?

I've eliminated a bunch of tracks that are the same between the two, but there's still a bunch that leave me confused.

"Wall Rat" on the Cast and Crew CD is the complete cue from the film, while the OST is abridged and has slightly different orchestration. I'd call the OST version an alternate, and keep both.

"Cast of Cooks" isn't on the Cast and Crew CD, but is on the OST (and as far as I remember, the film). Place it just before "A Real Gourmet Kitchen".

"Souped Up" is the same on both versions, despite being labeled "alternate" on the Cast and Crew.

"Is it Soup Yet?" is only on the OST and should be placed between "Souped Up" and "Going In Seine".

"Heist to See You" is only on the OST and is placed just before "The Paper Chase" (the tracks run together on the OST).

"The Paper Chase" on the Cast and Crew CD is an alternate version, the film version is on the OST. And may I say the alternate is absolutely fantastic!

"Remy's Revenge" I'm unsure about, haven't listened to it enough.

"Anyone Can Cook" - both versions are identical until about the 3:05 mark, where the Cast and Crew CD continues on with a reprise of "Le Festin". This is the version that is heard in the film, and on a side note an extremely satisfying coda. I'd discard the OST track in favour of this one.

EDIT: Here, I made my playlist. "OST" means "original soundtrack", "CC" means "Cast and Crew CD"

1. Ratatouille Main Theme (alternate #1) (CC)

2. Le Festin (OST)

3. Welcome to Gusteau's (OST)

4. "This is Me" (OST)

5. Humans are Good People (CC)

6. Remy's Secret Life (CC)

7. Wild About Saffron (CC)

8. Granny Get Your Gun (OST)

9. 100-Rat Dash (OST)

10. Wall Rat (CC)

11. Wall Rat (alternate) (OST)

12. Cast of Cooks (OST)

13. A Real Gourmet Kitchen (OST)

14. Souped Up (OST)

15. Is It Soup Yet? (OST)

16. Going In Seine (CC)

17. A New Deal (OST)

18. Breakfast is Served (CC)

19. Welcome to Hell (CC)

20. Remy and Linguini Make A Deal (CC)

21. Remy Drives a Lunguini (OST)

22. That Can't Be Good (CC)

23. Colette Shows Him Le Ropes (OST)

24. Special Order (OST)

25. A Rat of Luxury (CC)

26. Kumpania (CC)

27. Hang Ups (CC)

28. Kiss and Vinegar (OST)

29. Losing Control (OST)

30. Heist to See You (OST)

31. The Paper Chase (OST)

32. The Paper Chase (alternate) (CC)

33. Ego Finds Linguini (CC)

34. Remy's Revenge (OST)

35. Bad Juju (CC)

36. Abandoning Ship (OST)

37. Dinner Rush (OST)

38. Anyone Can Cook (CC)

39. End Creditouilles (OST)

40. Remy's Theme (CC)

41. Rat from Ipanema (CC)

42. Le Festin (alternate) (CC)

43. Ratatouille Main Theme (alternate #2) (CC)

43. Ratatouille Main Theme (OST)

Most tracks are placed chronologically, with some placed according to my preferable listening experience. For example, I find the alternate CC version of the main theme to be more subtle and low-key, which I feel starts out the playlist well. Then the original, lusher version rounds off the album on a high note.

Up with end credits (promo) vs Up with end credits (ost)

Promo:

0:00-1:30 End credit intro

1:30-3:09 Russel's theme end credit recording

3:09-End Carl Goes Up excerpt with coda (end credit recording?)

Ost:

0:00-3:20 End Credit intro (alternate) + married life material (alternate waltz version - could this be an alternate Carl goes UP? - it was written but the reports implyed it was action oriented)

3:20-5:17 Russel's theme (end credit recording)

5:17-6:28 Spirit of adventure material (orchestral, string prominence?)

6:28-6:34 Ending to Carl goes up (promo)

6:34-End Carl goes UP excerpt (including the previous part and OST coda)

So what do you think?

Is the promo track the original one and the OST includeds unused alternates (as a nice bonus from Giacchino)?

Or are they both different (and entire) recordings, Film and album version of end credits?

• 2 months later...

Interesting. I haven't had time to compare the 3 different releases (OST, FYC Promo, C&C Promo) to each other and also to the film. Some day.

Giacchino is absolutely capable to conduct, he just prefers to leave the job to more expert hands than his own so that he can keep his attention focused on the performance during the recording.

However, he likes to conduct bits and pieces from time to time. On the Lost S4 DVD featurette about the music there's some footage of him conducting the orchestra as well.