The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his Alias works isn't particulaly good. I think it's just as bad as the show itself in fact (so it's not really Giacchino's fault).

I think his Alias works isn't particulaly good. I think it's just as bad as the show itself in fact (so it's not really Giacchino's fault).

First of all IMO his Alias work while not MOH caliber is decent.

Second of all HARDLY anything could be as bad as that show. :thumbup:

Hopefully Giacchino's "The Incredibles" will be enpugh to overtake the cynicism of people like Joe and Stefan towards Giacchino.

I think he is gonna REALLY impress with this one.

I don't think so. I like him, but I think all this praise is too much for someone who's done a handfull of video games and a couple of crappy tv shows.

Hopefully Giacchino's "The Incredibles" will be enpugh to overtake the cynicism of people like Joe and Stefan towards Giacchino.

It seems doubtful since they haven't heard a note of Giacchino music and really they are just doing it to piss us off.

I got Medal of Honor: Rising Sun from a friend. ROTFLMAO

Justin -Being vague.

P.S. The Final cue on SWON (The Normadny Coast) is probably the best finale in years. Simply incredible.

I'm not cynical towards him at all, i'm cynical against Giacchino-fanboys who on a John Williams MB proclaim that Giacchino is the new John Williams.

I'm sure he's very good, and with The Incredibles he's landed a job that can get him out of TV/Videogame limbo.

Will he grab the opportunity with both hands and impress us...we shall see.

He will never be the next John Williams. His music isn't anything special. He lacks the subtleness that John had at a similar point in his career. His music is bombastic, for the sake of being bombastic.

It just overloads your ears. John music overloads your heart, and your mind. You can listen to John in your head and not want to get the music out. MG's music is just noisy.

Like Stefan, those of you proclaiming this man to be the next John Williams are sadly disrespecting John Williams. MG might be the next Hans Zimmer, but he will never replace film music's greatest composer.

I acctually agree with Joe. People who say he's the next JW are simply in error. You see his music is written to sound like JW. I'm waiting for a score where he doesn't try to be Williams. Call of Duty is a good example. None the less he's an excellent composer who is so much better than just about every composer is a certain organazation which does contain the letters V and indeed M in the title...

Justin - Imagining a Pirates of the Carribean score by Giacchino. ROTFLMAO

He will never be the next John Williams.

First things first. There is no such thing as The Next John Williams - it's a ridiculous notion, and anyone looking for such a person is on a futile endeavour (and will probably eventually satisfy themselves with a poor answer).

His music isn't anything special.

It's special for computer game standards. To appreciate this you have to know what computer games have been scored with for the past 10 years, understanding that using an orchestra to this effect is unique in this field. You also have to remember effectively scoring a freeform computer game is far more difficult than scoring a film (no real 'cues' to go on, as such, and many player-defined changes in pace).

He lacks the subtleness that John had at a similar point in his career.

If you listen to the whole Medal of Honor: Allied Assault score in-game and on its own (files are on the game disc) you'll find a perfect cross-section of Giacchino's work so far, representing many moods and a great deal of subtlety too.

His music is bombastic, for the sake of being bombastic.

You'd be saying exactly the same about Williams if you'd heard it alone without the scenes of the films it was written to accompany. Listen to Giachinno's music in it's game context and you'll see how the bombast parts work with the events on screen, and are not there 'for the sake of it' (why write such music 'for the sake of it' anyway?).

It just overloads your ears. John music overloads your heart, and your mind. You can listen to John in your head and not want to get the music out. MG's music is just noisy.

And some of Williams isn't overload? This is a silly comment really - the first third of Close Encounters is atonal noise, as is half of the Matrix trilogy, but this is all brilliant scoring. Besides, elaborate on Giacchino's music as being 'noise' - I really don't get what you mean.

MG might be the next Hans Zimmer, but he will never replace film music's greatest composer.

If Giacchinio is to be likened to any other composer, it's not Zimmer - it's Williams (and at a stretch, Arnold). Nobody here is saying he is set to replace Williams either - and your last comment goes to show you're a bit of a Williams fanboy who gets all defensive if anyone suggests a composer with comparable talent and style, seeing it as more of a threat than anything.

I'm waiting for a score where he doesn't try to be Williams. Call of Duty is a good example.

Exactly. He's beginning to experiement, which is undoubtably a good thing. Call of Duty had a score that suited the game brilliantly: darker and grittier than Medal of Honor, but no less effective (Pegasus Bridge was a stunning suprise approach that I found worked in a fantastically cinematic way).

As someone who actually listens to film music written before 1980 and believes most written since 1990 sucks, I thought I would weigh in with a few of my opinions.

First this is a John Williams site so hyping another composer will tend to bring some sort of backlash.

I really hate the term "He is the next.....". There will never be a another John Williams, just as there will never be another Alfred Newman, Max Steiner, Bernard Herrmann, Miklos Rozsa, Alex North, Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry or Georges Delerue.

All composers learn from those who came before them and apply subtle styles and techniques to their own composing styles.

Michael Giacchino does not copy John Williams and he does have his own style. Giacchino is not the first composer nor will he be the last to write in the leitmotif style. To even compare him to Zimmer is an insult to Giacchino because what little music he has written is 10 times better than most music I've heard from Zimmer, MV, David Arnold and the newly over hyped Brian Tyler.

While he has mostly scored video games those scores are very good and show that this man has a wealth of talent.

I've been listening to film music for some 30 years and I truly believe Michael Giacchino has the talent to be one of the next great film composers. Time will tell if he will but I think he will and I hope The Incredibles is the break he needs because other than Williams and few like Silvestri, the current crop of "new" composers are doing a poor job of scoring films in my humble opinion.

I agree with pretty much everything here, I do regret saying that he was the next JW, attribute it to naive-ness

I agree completely with what Miz said, and for god's sake he doesn't sound like Hans Zimmer! You dont go callin people names like that!

Oh and btw, I had an absolutely fantabulous time in California, you all will be delighted to know that myself and my twin spent over 300 dollars in a comic book shop,(the one that Samuel L. Jackson and other stars go to)

I'm not cynical towards him at all, i'm cynical against Giacchino-fanboys who on a John Williams MB proclaim that Giacchino is the new John Williams.

Well I mean that in terms of him recreating the STYLE of JW's music not neccesarily the same quality of music.

Thats something completely different.

I mean Giacchino scores films like Williams did in the 1980's.

I think Williams was just as good in the 90's as in the 80's. And from what I've heard, Giacchino has had scores like only a handfull of Williams stuff. He has of yet shown very little verstility.

Games not films. :)

Justin -Who's looking forward to The Incredibles far more than The Terminal. (Both film and score)

Games not films. :(

Justin -Who's looking forward to The Incredibles far more than The Terminal. (Both film and score)

Well it will be films now Justin! :)

-Rogue Leader who is also looking forward to both film and score much more!

Giacchino needs to score an epic film project next.  

Something REALLY big. Like something on the level of this summer;s Troy.

Trust me.... The Incredibles WILL be huge!!!!

-Erik-

Come on now Rogue_Leader, Pixar has reached the stage where it's movies are REALY big.

I agree, he's lucky to have landed this job for his first high profile motion picture outing.

Pixar films generally get very good reviews and do well at the box office.

Troy could go either way.

Giacchino does have the rather large shadows of Randy and Thomas Newman hanging over him though, plus the stigma that John Barry was at one point attached to this project.

The music that Randy did for Toy Story was not a very pleasant listen though. The music was very fragmented, like hundreds of little cues glued together. I couldn't hear a real maestro at work. I wonder how Giacchino will bring it off.

Thomas Newman's Finding Nemo makes for a great listen though. So does Randy's A Bug's Life (thoguh you get everything in the suite).

I agree with the Toy Story comments, the score was very fragmented and I didnt enjoy it that much, Bugs Life was a little better, I can't even remember Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo had the best score out of the Pixar movies and the Incredibles looks to top Nemo

-Erik-

Yeah, but I mean something LIVE action. Not animated stuff.

Its a good start, but I demand this go further.

-Erik-

Yeah, but I mean something LIVE action. Not animated stuff.

Its a good start, but I demand this go further.

As if live action is guaranteed to stand for better movies. I think many, if not most composers are eagerly willing to do the next Pixar. Yep, it's gonna be huge. And it's gonna have much more appreciation, both from critics and audiences all around the globe, than this summer's Troy. I think Pixar has their heart in all the right places and for a composer it must be a joy to work for these people.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Pretty much. But of the really major composers, it seems like only Goldsmith and Elfman aren't with them, but with Kraft-Engel. But as you go down the list Kraft-Engel has a few big or up and coming names- John Debney, John Ottman, Rachel Portman, John Powel, Phillip Glass, Don Davis, Marc Shaiman.

But Williams, Silvestri, Horner, Zimmer, Howard, R. Newman, Shore, T. Newman and Goldenthal are all G/S.

I'd like to know why Pixar chose Giacchino

Probably because they heard hiswork. IMO Pixar is lucky to have Giacchino. NOT the other way around. This guy's work is better than most of the other Hollywood composers out there. Save for a tiny few.

Oh yeah and I realize The Incredibles will be a big movie. I just feel there is more prestige from scoring a live action movie than a cartoon.

I just feel there is more prestige from scoring a live action movie than a cartoon.

Whatever gave you that idea? Perhaps you feel kids are an easy audience? Pixar is lucky to have Giacchino, you say? LOL ! I let you in on a secret: Pssst...Pixar doesn't need Giacchino, capish! In fact, Pixar is going to put Giacchino on the map. Giacchino can thank his lucky stars that Pixar hired him. Thanks to Pixar he going to have the time of his life.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I just feel there is more prestige from scoring a live action movie than a cartoon.

Whatever gave you that idea? Perhaps you feel kids are an easy audience? Pixar is lucky to have Giacchino, you say? LOL ! I let you in on a secret: Pssst...Pixar doesn't need Giacchino, capish! In fact, Pixar is going to put Giacchino on the map. Giacchino can thank his lucky stars that Pixar hired him. Thanks to Pixar he going to have the time of his life.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That may be true, but considering Giacchino will p[robably give them the best score to a Pixar film EVER they are certainly getting MORE than enough in return.

IMO Pixar is lucky to have Giacchino. NOT the other way around. This guy's work is better than most of the other Hollywood composers out there.

Giacchino's music is some of the most popular computer game music ever. That still isn't a whole lot of exposure. Pixar films are usually gigantic hits Giacchino is gonna get a lot more exposure now. Had he been hired for a smaller film this wouldn't have been the case. Pixar also could very easily have found another composer that would have been more well known. Personally I don't really see where you are comming from except that you're thinking Giacchino's score will be excellent which of course it will be. But still I think Giacchino is VERY lucky to have landed such a mainstream premiere film score.

Justin

I think the score will be a good, solid score, nothing more.

Morlock- who thinks the movie will just be a line of predictable jokes (like Monsters Inc.). The teaser was the most uninspired of the Pixar teasers so far.

I think it's good they're not using Randy anymore. The style in how he composed for them was getting a bit familiar. Giacchino knows this is his big break. He knows he better not screw it up. He'll probably give all his best. This movie can shoot his name to stardom.

I thought his name was in the original teaser. Turns out it wasn't. Hm. I was convinced it was. I guess it's just some rumor that got out because they used the theme from OHMSS in that teaser.