The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm surprised with the complete FYC promos there have been for some of Giacchino's scores like "Up", "The Incredibles", "Ratatouille", and "Speed Racer", that there hasn't been one for "Star Trek".

Congrats to Giacchino for the win though.

Congratulations Mr. Giacchino! Well deserved even though in all honesty Up wasn't exactly my favourite score from last year. But I think his talent should be recognized. :)

Nice acceptance speech. Something inpirational, for a change. Very much in his spirit. :)

Thank you, guys. When I was... I was nine and I asked my dad, "Can I have your movie camera? That old, wind-up 8 millimeter camera that was in your drawer?" And he goes, "Sure, take it." And I took it and I started making movies with it and I started being as creative as I could, and never once in my life did my parents ever say, "What you're doing is a waste of time." Never. And I grew up, I had teachers, I had colleagues, I had people that I worked with all through my life who always told me what you're doing is not a waste of time. So that was normal to me that it was OK to do that. I know there are kids out there that don't have that support system so if you're out there and you're listening, listen to me: If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time. Do it. OK? Thank you. Thank you.

Karol

That is a nice speech. Wish I could dump that whole thing on the five thousand people who've told me I have "too much time on my hands" (translation: I have cool, unusual, productive hobbies).

Now sure would be a perfect time for Varese to announce a second volume of Star Trek music :)

Now sure would be a perfect time for Varese to announce a second volume of Star Trek music :)

And disney records to announce the complete deluxe physical edition of UP.

You know I'm surprised with the complete FYC promos there have been for some of Giacchino's scores like "Up", "The Incredibles", "Ratatouille", and "Speed Racer", that there hasn't been one for "Star Trek".

The only FYC promo that i know of is from UP, and that is not the complete score.

Except the roadrunner website stream bonus (complete Speed racer) the other promos have been Cast & Crew promo CDs.

But maybe ST has not been leaked because there has been talk/desire of a 2nd volume since almost the very beggining.

That would be nice, I'd love to legitimately pay for Up and own it on CD. I ain't gonna pay for mp3s

I hope he doesn't get animation offers only from now on. Like Yared's been doing drama only after his Oscar win.

Now it would be indeed an embarassment not to release it properly.

It wasn't my favourite score of the year. But, I guess, that has mostly to do with the fact it hasn't been released physically. It's strange, but I can't connect with downloaded music. Only the CD can force me to appreciate something in its full glory. Strange but true.

Karol

The only FYC promo that i know of is from UP, and that is not the complete score.

Except the roadrunner website stream bonus (complete Speed racer) the other promos have been Cast & Crew promo CDs.

But maybe ST has not been leaked because there has been talk/desire of a 2nd volume since almost the very beggining.

I thought the FYC promo was complete?

I thought the FYC promo was complete?

Movietown reel is film edit with intentional damage.

Missing the orchestrated re-recordings of 'habanera from Carmen' and 'wedding march'

And the unused cue 'Master and prisoner'

I suppose you didnt read my last post in the covers thread two months ago...

With all due respect, I didn't read your last post two months ago either, because back then Michael Giacchino wasn't an Academy Award winning composer. Now he's a big deal.

I can live with the FYC with those differences you mention. I have enough versions of those two classical pieces in my classical music folder, and I sleep just as soundly not knowing how many unused cues I don't have from other film scores.

I have a feeling this won't be the last Oscar he wins.

I have a feeling it won't be the last one he deserves. Whether he wins or not is harder to say, but it'd be cool for him to continue getting recognition.

I'm afraid Data's going to end up being more right here, like what happened to Jerry. But after last night at least there's hope.

I didn't pay for Up at all, I snagged it when it was offered for free a while back. Can't remember where. But I'd still pay for a proper CD.

Hmmm. I just looked up that film on Wikipedia, to see if its release date would conflict with LOST.

Turns out its not coming out until 2012, LOL

Giacchino has now won more Oscars this decade (2001-2010) than Williams has. There's no question that the old has gone, and the new has come. Bring on MGFAN!

Thank you, guys. When I was... I was nine and I asked my dad, "Can I have your movie camera? That old, wind-up 8 millimeter camera that was in your drawer?" And he goes, "Sure, take it." And I took it and I started making movies with it and I started being as creative as I could, and never once in my life did my parents ever say, "What you're doing is a waste of time." Never. And I grew up, I had teachers, I had colleagues, I had people that I worked with all through my life who always told me what you're doing is not a waste of time. So that was normal to me that it was OK to do that. I know there are kids out there that don't have that support system so if you're out there and you're listening, listen to me: If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time. Do it. OK? Thank you. Thank you.

Best acceptance speech of the evening, hands down.

By the way, I think technically I'm not supposed to tell you this (NDA stuff), but this is a small audience and a totally innocuous anecdote, and some of you will hopefully get a kick out of it, so here goes nothin'.

I was recently talking with someone in the music department at Walt Disney Imagineering. I asked him about the process of hiring Michael Giacchino to score the refurbished 2005 version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. He said that he basically got the job because of his work on Alias, and that since Space Mountain itself was gutted at the time, they basically did a Space Mountain "world tour", riding the different versions of the attraction that were open at the various other Disney resorts. They would ride it again and again, listening to mp3s of different temp tracks, as it were. Finally they stumbled upon one with the right feel (it was called "Green _____"...I can't remember the second word :)), and that shaped the direction Giacchino took with it. Apparently it was quite a taxing experience, though...as amazing an attraction as Space Mountain is in its many incarnations, Giacchino was eventually saying, "Enough, enough..." Quite physically demanding. :)

I also told this man that I enjoy creating my own piano arrangements, including Space Mountain, and he told me I have too much time on my hands. Which was confusing, coming from a guy whose career is entirely based on music that other people write. :) But I digress.

Haha that's funny. Yea rollercoasters are fun, but not over and over and over again.

Man, I am just thinking now how much of a total and complete oddity it is that the Oscar Winning Best Original Score Of 2009 is NOT AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON CD!!!!!!!! UN-be-freaking-lievable!

I also told this man that I enjoy creating my own piano arrangements, including Space Mountain, and he told me I have too much time on my hands.

Everyone has their hobbies. I bet he's got something he does that other people think is a waste of time.

Giacchino was eventually saying, "Enough, enough..." Quite physically demanding. :)

Goldsmith wasn't such a sissy when he scored Soarin'. :)

Hahahahaha... :)

By the way, unrelated, but I also recently got to watch that attraction from behind/underneath the screen, with Goldsmith's score pumping out of a big JBL speaker right next to me. Pretty awesome.

Haha that's funny. Yea rollercoasters are fun, but not over and over and over again.

Man, I am just thinking now how much of a total and complete oddity it is that the Oscar Winning Best Original Score Of 2009 is NOT AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON CD!!!!!!!! UN-be-freaking-lievable!

Well Conti's Right Stuff got its first official release last year and it won an Oscar back in the 80's. But Up is more of an oddity in this day and age when big movies like Up usually have physical CD release.

Interesting. I haven't had time to compare the 3 different releases (OST, FYC Promo, C&C Promo) to each other and also to the film. Some day.

Anybody up to this? Luke, have you managed to compile a list combining the three releases perhaps?

Interesting. I haven't had time to compare the 3 different releases (OST, FYC Promo, C&C Promo) to each other and also to the film. Some day.

Anybody up to this? Luke, have you managed to compile a list combining the three releases perhaps?

Yes. :)

Use all of the C&C (and you can delete the official lossy album)

Alternates from the FYC... really, film versions since the FYC is the complete score as used in film (minus licensed music due to academy rules, so no wedding march, no habanera and no unused cue 'master and prisoner'):

-Movietown reel (only if you want a cut-edited version with old cinema filter added to it. I dont...)

-Carl goes up (film ending, the C&C has the album concert version with added coda)

-Up with End Credits

-The Spirit of adventure (song)

Tracks you may want from the FYC since each pair is mixed in the C&C, missing a few seconds:

-small mailman returns

-going back for kevin

-Geriatric dogfigh

-seizing the spirit of adventure

I think that's it.

• 1 month later...

No, it's the idea of a MI: IV.

Abrams & Giacchino couldn't rescue III so I'm not crossing my fingers for IV.

He has to venture out of that realm at some point. And I thought M:i:III was the best of the three, so color me excited.

Well Andrew Stanton is doing a live action film, John Carter Of Mars, with Giacchino providing the music. so I guess it's Bird's turn.