The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I was so focused on actually watching the prologue I was not studying the music one bit. If I had been able to see it a second time I'm sure I would have paid more attention to the music. It was briefly discussed in the Star Trek 12 thread

I have to admit I have a problem with the first two MOH scores. Enjoyable, sure. But they don't serve their games well, I think. Instead of doing justice to the subject, Giacchino went oll "yupiee, let's kill some Germans, swashbuckling cartoon style". i know might be part of the concept, but they sound more like a Soviet propaganda film music (as written at the time by the likes of Shostakovich) and that makes it all feel a bit silly. He corrected that in the other two, where there is more weight to everything and thus it makes for a much more powerful and dramatic experience.

Karol

I worked out at the gym last week listening to one of the MOH scores (Airborne if I recall) and I felt like I was participating in a workout montage to any pro-American war movie. Glorious.

Speaking of which, what is Giacchino's score to the IMAX prologue like? Anyone?

Karol

I really enjoyed the music. It felt more like Super 8 and John Carter in "tone" than ST09. Which I think is a good thing. The former two sound mature, ST09 sounded very childish at times. I saw the prologue three times, so I can remember the music fairly well since I dedicated the second two to picking it out.

Do you want a walk through?

The opening was a bit striking because it sounded like a plucked guitar (or some seriously processed harp?). But guitars...in a Goldsmithian way, for a futuristic texture. The closest approximation I can think of for the structure of this segment of the opening is "George of the Concrete Jungle" from Lost's Season 6 music (with more of the dramatic flair of "None the Nurse" on that same disc). Right down to the repeating note on the harp (in the prologue's sake the guitary instrument.) Albeit it's a little more sad here, mixed with some seriously menacing/angry and slightly tragic brass crescendo's at some key points. Really loved it. Again this entire section reminds of Goldsmith's musical language, especially when the menacing brass undercurrents to the slightly sad music above it.

Then it gets dissonant as we are introduced to Cumberbatch's character. And BOOM cut to distant echoey screams but mostly silence on another planet.

And the music flares up into action music, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but the action music over this chase (and flying) sequence is a serious, grown up, darker version of "A Real Gourmet Kitchen" from Ratatouille. Basically imagine that track from Ratatouille merged with the latter half of Goldsmith's The Dogfight from ST: Insurrection (can't be found on the OST ;)). Right down to brass firing off and sustaining some high and tense notes over the pounding rhythm.

Finally, we find the Enteprrise, and we get the ST09 theme. It starts out very much like the opening of "Enterprising Young Men" but darker, less twinkly, but now on top of that heavy strings play basically the same thing the heavy brass in 1:56-2:05 ish of Enterprising Young Men. I liked it a lot more than any bit of Enterprising Young Men. It had a sense of respectability lacking in Enterprising Young Men. It felt a lot more fleshed out.

Then I can't remember anything because the sound effects got incredibly loud. But that basically the last 2 minutes of the preview, so not much missed.

If the ST 2009 Theme wasn't so shit, this score could have promise. But when a main theme is such a failure there would need to be a hell of a rest of a score to make up for it... Still, the action track during the prologue sounded nice.

I'm sure Giacchino will do much better for Starwars VII if he scores it.

I really enjoyed the music. It felt more like Super 8 and John Carter in "tone" than ST09. Which I think is a good thing. The former two sound mature, ST09 sounded very childish at times. I saw the prologue three times, so I can remember the music fairly well since I dedicated the second two to picking it out.

Does that mean Giacchino is still stuck in "Lost" mode? Most of his recent themes seem to be stuck in those same Lost/Super 8-esque harmonies.

Speaking of which, what is Giacchino's score to the IMAX prologue like? Anyone?

Karol

Do you want a walk through?

The opening was a bit striking because it sounded like a plucked guitar (or some seriously processed harp?). But guitars...in a Goldsmithian way, for a futuristic texture. The closest approximation I can think of for the structure of this segment of the opening is "George of the Concrete Jungle" from Lost's Season 6 music (with more of the dramatic flair of "None the Nurse" on that same disc). Right down to the repeating note on the harp (in the prologue's sake the guitary instrument.) Albeit it's a little more sad here, mixed with some seriously menacing/angry and slightly tragic brass crescendo's at some key points. Really loved it. Again this entire section reminds of Goldsmith's musical language, especially when the menacing brass undercurrents to the slightly sad music above it.

Then it gets dissonant as we are introduced to Cumberbatch's character. And BOOM cut to distant echoey screams but mostly silence on another planet.

And the music flares up into action music, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but the action music over this chase (and flying) sequence is a serious, grown up, darker version of "A Real Gourmet Kitchen" from Ratatouille. Basically imagine that track from Ratatouille merged with the latter half of Goldsmith's The Dogfight from ST: Insurrection (can't be found on the OST ;)). Right down to brass firing off and sustaining some high and tense notes over the pounding rhythm.

Finally, we find the Enteprrise, and we get the ST09 theme. It starts out very much like the opening of "Enterprising Young Men" but darker, less twinkly, but now on top of that heavy strings play basically the same thing the heavy brass in 1:56-2:05 ish of Enterprising Young Men. I liked it a lot more than any bit of Enterprising Young Men. It had a sense of respectability lacking in Enterprising Young Men. It felt a lot more fleshed out.

Then I can't remember anything because the sound effects got incredibly loud. But that basically the last 2 minutes of the preview, so not much missed.

Cheers! Sounds intriguing.

Karol

I think John Carter was very relevant in the development of his style and we'll hear a very interesting evolution between the first and the second Star Trek.

That would be awesome. It is his single best film work, I reckon.

Karol

I still like Super 8 the best, with Star Trek JC right behind

I'm always surprised I don't like his Pixar scores more than i do (I DO like them, just like his live action scores more)

I think Ratatouille is the best in his animated resume. It has certain warmth. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for the film.

Super 8 is very good too. And so is Mission: Impossible 4, which is listened to this morning, actually.

I also think his score to Let Me In is very good. Probably one of the toughest jobs he ever tackled. Quite a tricky film to score, really. And he did a good job. It's not like I listen to it a lot, but the mood he creates is pitch perfect - chilling and heart-warming at the same time. How cool is that?

Karol

John Carter by far and away is my favorite. It's on another plane. It stands shoulder to shoulder to some of best works of previous generations of composers in sci-fi.

Super 8 gets there sporadically, but it's not quite as expansive.

Star Trek 2009 is decent.

The Wallin effect on that CD seems worse than any other Giacchino score though, and that might be why I haven't listened to it as much as a lot of Giacchino's others.

John Carter? I agree.

It is the most tragic CD I own. It features brilliant music, obliterated by Sir Dan Wallin.

I wonder if we all made Twitter accounts and spammed Giacchino to get rid of Wallin if he'd get the message? ;)

We just need somebody to re-record the score with a different orchestra and a different recording engineer. There are re-recordings of Jaws, Superman, Psycho, Vertigo and Conan, why not Star Trek and John Carter?

Not if they are already recorded terribly.

One thing I do not like about Giacchino's 2009-2011 scores is the muffled sound.

Guess I'm still the only one that finds John Carter subpar. Giacchino peaked for me a couple years ago. He has yet to return to those glory days of consistent brilliance, and I think it's because he's really limited himself to working only with his friends.

Yea, John Carter features everything Giacchino has been doing best all rolled into one. Great action music, strong themes, suspense, romance, fun passages, the works!

Guess I'm still the only one that finds John Carter subpar. Giacchino peaked for me a couple years ago. He has yet to return to those glory days of consistent brilliance, and I think it's because he's really limited himself to working only with his friends.

Not the only one. John Carter was a fun adventure score, but hardly brilliant.

Giacchino's glory days were back when he scored video games. He has yet to top what he did for Medal of Honor.

For some reason, I've just been not that into Giacchino lately, even things like LOST, which I used to absolutely love. The only composition of his that still really holds my attention is his work on Disneyland's Space Mountain.

Giacchino's glory days were back when he scored video games. He has yet to top what he did for Medal of Honor.

I have to pretty much agree with you.

Still I have to say I rate Super 8 and John Carter very high in his discography although the latter wasn't a real revelation to me as it seems to have been to many. I have yet to get to know his Pixar collaborations better. I keep hearing good things about Ratatouille and Incredibles.

I still feel his music for the Medal of Honor games is some of his best in terms of themes, development and memorability and the music of Lost is still one of his more brilliant and unique creations.

One of the greatest works from Giacchino might be La Luna. I remember being absolutely enchanted while watching this short on big screen and much of it has to do with the music. This is the kind of stuff he excels at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwugJuMYzvQ

Just listened to Super 8, after a very long time. It is a bit dry here and there, the main thematic material might be a bit simplistic, and the album might be tad too long for its own good...

But it is a very good score nontheless. Has one of the strongest narrative arcs in recent memory. And the last four tracks, including the 1-minute suspensful Creature Comforts, are superb.

And no, I don't think Medal of Honor music is his best. Not at all.

Karol

Ratatouille is my favourite film score of his, then John Carter.

And this is just awesomeness:

We've had enough Lost! More of that!

I genuinely had no idea that Ratatouille was that good! I'll definitely be giving it a listen.

I think Ratatouille is the best of his Pixar scores, I like more than Up.

I remember liking the action material better in Up, but I have not heard the score in a while.

I remember liking the action material better in Up, but I have not heard the score in a while.

I don't know, maybe I should listen to Up again.

Still I have to say I rate Super 8 and John Carter very high in his discography although the latter wasn't a real revelation to me as it seems to have been to many. I have yet to get to know his Pixar collaborations better. I keep hearing good things about Ratatouille and Incredibles.

I still feel his music for the Medal of Honor games is some of his best in terms of themes, development and memorability and the music of Lost is still one of his more brilliant and unique creations.

Ratatouille and The Incredibles are fine scores, both better and more enjoyable than Super 8 (at least in my book). Super 8 has its moments, especially the nice children's theme and the lovely finale, but it's themes, overly simplistic structures and suspense music aren't much to marvel at. John Carter is one of his better scores. Like I said before, I think it's a fun score, but he's done better. And as you said, Giacchino hasn't re-harnassed the kind of handling of themes, orchestrations and development that he portrayed in the first three Medal of Honor games. I can have a lot of fun with those scores and his early Pixar stuff; they have great replay value. It's easier to get bored with John Carter after a time. There's a certain energy in scores like Medal of Honor, Ratatouille and The Incredibles that simply isn't present in John Carter.

Good god, why don't you just SHUT UP?!!

Careful, KayKay...

mzIXy38lqcUMpJMzQHfSBeA.jpg

I don't get scared easily. Especially not by a French clown named Pierre.