Alexcremers

Is the re-recorded Superman CD any good?

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but it's FUN. Here's another good 'alternative interpretation' CD that I like, and that is radical enough to catch my interest:

811H2pC+r-L._SL1500_.jpg

You'll get into any old crap won't you ;)

I couldn't stand this album. 

22 hours ago, Thor said:

811H2pC+r-L._SL1500_.jpg

I must try to listen to this. I can't for the life of me think what Morricone and Waters might have in common, but I'm prepared to find out.

On the subject of SUPERMAN; I've been listening to this, recently. I remember buying it, and almost creaming my jeans on hearing "clean" versions of THE HELICOPTER SEQUENCE and  PUSHING BOULDERS.

Then I got the Rhino.

Then I got The Blue Box.

Then I sprayed my living room.

I digress. This is a fine rerecording, played with vigour, and honesty. If the RSNO misses a beat and fluffs a line occasionally, then you can't blame them for trying; it's a complicated thing to play. The sound is "open" and upfront, the digital sound bringing-out the less obvious subtleties of the score, and Denney and co. always treat the material with respect.

If you can't afford The Blue Box, or you simply want a different "take" on a much-adored musical achievement, then look no further.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

The double LP probably had too much music anyway. "Lex Luthor's Lair" is pretty dispensable and there's nothing really in "Growing Up" you don't take from the rest of the album.

I agree that Lex Luthor's Lair is quite dispensable since the 14 track OST album already includes the concert version, March of the Villains. Growing Up is partially unique and quite good, and I would rather have that on the OST instead of Margot Kidder rapping Can You Read My Mind.

Another reason to own the complete score, besides the juicy alternates, are the great action cues not included on the OSTs.