For anyone who saw Superman: The Movie in theaters...

UCFKevin

Sadly, I wasn't alive at the time (not to make any of you feel old, of course), so I was wondering if the folks who saw Superman: The Movie, the best movie EVER (in my opinion) could post any kind of audience reactions to the film or just any memories in general about it? I'd really appreciate it, I love reading those sorts of things.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first saw Superman when I was eight years old. This was when there were real theatres with curtains that open as the movie starts. There was a line all the way around the building. I had to see it the second night because they sold out the first night with only three people in front of me. I was devistated. I cried all the way home. The one thing I do remember was the scene with Clark having to find another place to change (the phone booth). The audience laughed uncontrollably. I was in movie heaven and pretty much tuned everyone out. Besides Star Wars, it was the most influential and exciting movie experience I ever had. :mrgreen:

Wow...excellent. Excellent!

Jason, for the love of GOD, see this movie!!!!!

On DVD, if you can. With surround sound. On a bigass TV.

Wow! I've always wanted to know the reaction of the audience during that scene.... I know it would have been very funny since everyone remembere Clark changing to Superman in a phone booth :mrgreen:

For those of you who have seen Superman in theaters, I have this to say...

LUCKY DOGS!!!!!

Justin -Who has to watch Superman on a "non widescreen" 19" TV. :cry:

....but is none the less. :mrgreen:

I have to agree that the phone booth scene was great & the audience loved it. That was the moment when all the back story was done and it was finally time for action! The audience laughed and was very excited as he soared upward to save the helicopter. Very electric in the theater.

Backing up a bit . . .

I was 14 when SW came out and then saw Close Encounters in the theater a few months after, but when Superman came out that was a much bigger deal than Close Encounters.

However it was probably these three movies that REALLY hooked me on Williams and film scores.

I saw it when I was 4 years old? Or maybe on it's re-release? When was it re-released? Unsure myself... I can't remember. But I do remember certain scenes on the big screen more than others. The Helicopter scene and Train chase were most memorable when I was a kid.

SUPERMAN, THE MOVIE EXPERIENCE

I had just come home from my first semester at the University of Arkansas. It had actually snowed which in Ark. is very rare in December.

The movie was showing at the Cinema 150, the theatre with the 70 x 40 ft curved screen. My college roomate, my sister, my mom, and myself went to see it on Saturday Night.

Like the movie itself the grand curtain parted, to reveal the screen. Then on the screen itself came the warner brothers logo, and the dedication to Geoffery Unsworth. The there was a pair of black and white curtains. John's music is playing as those curtains open. You could the noise as they pulled back to reveal a smaller screen, then you can hear the clicking of the film as a comicbook appears and a small boy begins to read. At this point I was long past hooked. Then the b&w Daily planet building turns real and the camera pans towards the moon and past, and then the most amazing thing happens, these incredible movie credit start flying at you, and then the most awesome thing happened, this beautiful RED Superman emblam EXPLODES on the screen. The audience began to cheer. You could hear people in the theatre exclaiming their awe at what is even to the day the greatest set of opening credits ever in film. People knew they were seeing something special. They were experiencing something special. They were not just seeing another movie.

We were not the jaded audience that you find today. As a collective group we sat and enjoyed some truely exceptional cinematography, that soft focus, that you just don't see today. People marvelled as the Planet Krypton died, and the beautiful starship carried Kal-El to Earth. People laughed when you saw the naked little boy, they laughed as he lifted the truck. They were excited as he raced the train. You could feel the sadness as Johnathan Kent died.

The he flew, I saw it, so did everyone else. He flew right at the screen, and he looked right at us. I was sitting down thankfully because this was just too cool.

You should have heard the audience laugh when Clark looked at the small phone booth. It was a gem. And when he rescued Lois, Don't worry Miss, I've got you. You've got me, whose got you. The movie hit every note. Most of us are guys here, but that night there was about a 50/50 split, and the women, were enchanted by the romance of the story. When Lois sang, it was corny, it was sweet, and you could tell the ladies were eating it up. When Lois died, and Superman screamed there were people crying. And finally when Superman tells the warden Don't thank me, were all part of the same team, and he flew off, people cheered again. They laughed one last time as he mugged the camera as he flew off screen.

People stayed for the credits and they cheered when on the screen it said Superman II next year.

This film was blessed with perfect casting. Christopher Reeve is Superman, and Margot Kidder is Lois. Gene Hackman was a riot as Lex, and Brando was the perfect Jor-El. John Williams wrote the quintesential score. He captured perfection in his opening theme and his subsequent love theme. As I said earlier, the cinematography was beautiful. Not all the effects were good, some were bad, but that didn't matter because I believed a man could fly.

To this day it is still one of my three favorite films, E.T., and Jaws the other two. It was a great cinematic experience. The opening sequence alone separates it from any of the other comicbook films. It is a classic, flaws and all. Alot of love and care went into the making of this film. Shame on the producers for not seeing that Richard Donner was the visionary that made this EPIC film, the classic and landmark treasure it is today. Despite some of the changes made on the dvd, I cannot help but love this film even after 24 years.

I still believe a man can fly, do you?

I remember the day I saw it quite vividly: January 1, 1979. I thought it was great fun. I was still very much in my Star Wars phase at this point, and thought there probably wouldn't be any other movie theme that would top that. Then I heard the opening strains of the Superman march, and thought differently from that point on. :mrgreen: I was so caught up by the majesty and brilliance of the main title sequence (seeing it on a 70mm screen was quite a trip) to the music that I didn't even bother reading the credits. I felt like I was "riding" through the names.

I remember feeling the heartache when Clark realizes his must begin a hero's journey and leave his mother. I remember the thrill when Superman made his first appearance at the end of the Fortress of Solitude sequence to Williams' fanfare. The helicopter sequence was easily my favorite sequence and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days, going as far as pretending I was Superman and recreating that moment. I remember the shock I felt when Lois died, since that thing never happened in either the comic book or TV series.

I do also remember that I was hungry for popcorn and missed the entire sequence the Krypton starts to crumble and then is destroyed. By the time I got made way back into the theatre, the starship was already in flight towards Earth.

Alas, that was the only time I got to see it on the big screen: only once. I couldn't get my father to take me to see it a second time, since he had the firm belief of once is more than enough....

:mrgreen:

Yes, Morn. Those were back in the days when people payed MONEY to see a film in a THEATRE and didn't download UNPAID, ILLEGAL COPIES on their COMPUTER!

:evil:

:twisted:

:mrgreen:

My opinion on ths movie STILL STANDS .....

OVERATED!!!!

I am sorry but I feel this movie is not NEARLY as good as everyone makes it out to be. In terms of entertainment Spiderman was a superior film IMO.

What really kills this one for me is the GOD AWFUL ending where Superman reverses time by spinning the moon around the Earth in reverse. Oh yeah that makes friggin sense! CORNY IS NOT A WORD FOR THIS! Yeah I know what your saying "Come on! Its a movie about a guy from Planet Krypton". Yeah OK, but there are limits to this stuff people. I mean I can tolerate campy stuff like "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" (hell I love that line!), but I am sorry there is a poin where the movie just goes from campy to crappy and that ending was definately across the line. I still consider is a good film but not a great film. I'll fully admit Reeve was awesome as Superman and Terrence Stamp rocked as Zod, but Margot Kidder was a terrible Lois and brought down every scene she was in. Especially that bad looking flying scene (those effects were lousy even for the late 70's peeps) with her horrible monologue.

I actually thought Superman II was a MUCH better film.

-Rogue Leader who still feels Terrence Stamp was the friggin MAN as Zod and believes "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" is pure genius.

Those were also the days before people bought illigal SVCD copies from truckdriving friends of theirs.

Stefancos- who considers Chrusher to be this MB's biggest hypocrit

Correct yourself, Mister Cosman. I have never bought one copy from that friend, nor has he ever given me one. He showed me one before, and that's it!

However... I remember that YOU bought some off of him... or at least were gonna' before you realized that they didn't work on your player... heheheh... :twisted:

-Chris, Who considers Stefancos smart except for the fact that the poor lad can't get his facts straight and always gets proven wrong my his Phantom Zone Emperor... :mrgreen:

I did not buy them because i soon realised i could download them myself and save some money.

Also, i know you WILL be buying the supposed AOTC DVD boot when you get a chance.

You even want a 5.1 AOTC bootleg so you can ripp the music.

Stefancos- who thinks anyone who ripps unreleased music from DVD's should not judge other who are also breaking copyright laws.

I do remember seeing Superman in the cinemas but i was very very young. I must of been about 6. But i suppose its was my earliest exposure to Williams music if i look at it that way. I dont think i watched the first Star Wars film in the cinema for some reason (maybe it was on too late in my mums eyes?..hehehe) , but i definetely remember watching Empire and Return of the Jedi on the big screen. So i reckon Superman must of been the first movie where Williams music was very strongly in my memory. Of course, i had no idea until years later that it was Williams. It was just the cool thing to do at school for everybody to run around the playing field with their arms stretched out in front of them pretending to fly around while emulating the fanfair theme of Superman. I remember Superman 2 much more strongly. It was a massive cinema screen that one. Not one of those big T'V's we tend to get in multiplexes. It was one of those gigantic single screen cinemas in which you feel dwarfed by the screen (no matter what age you are ..hehehe) . I have'nt seen any Superman film for years, but i remember well that wide superman logo flashing across the screen with the famous music because the screen was massive. It was thrilling beyond belief as a kid. I'll have to find the video sometime. I have'nt seen them for years. :mrgreen:

My opinion on ths movie STILL STANDS .....

OVERATED!!!!

I am sorry but I feel this movie is not NEARLY as good as everyone makes it out to be. In terms of entertainment Spiderman was a superior film IMO.

Don't feel sorry for being wrong it happens. Spiderman is a good movie, but it isn't in Superman's league. It is an alsoran net to Superman.

What really kills this one for me is the GOD AWFUL ending where Superman reverses time by spinning the moon around the Earth in reverse. Oh yeah that makes friggin sense! CORNY IS NOT A WORD FOR THIS! Yeah I know what your saying "Come on! Its a movie about a guy from Planet Krypton". Yeah OK, but there are limits to this stuff people. I mean I can tolerate campy stuff like "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" (hell I love that line!), but I am sorry there is a poin where the movie just goes from campy to crappy and that ending was definately across the line.

It was a nice ending, it was about a man in love, who could not be in love. And he did what he had to do to save Lois. And the "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" was not from Superman but Superman 2, an inferior film in nearly every way.

I still consider is a good film but not a great film. I'll fully admit Reeve was awesome as Superman and Terrence Stamp rocked as Zod, but Margot Kidder was a terrible Lois and brought down every scene she was in. Especially that bad looking flying scene (those effects were lousy even for the late 70's peeps) with her horrible monologue.

Margot Kidder was the perfect Lois. The flying sequences are no worse than those phoney looking swinging sequences in Spiderman, in fact they are better because you could imagine that Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder were flying, all you could do in Spiderman is imagine someone input alot of commands to make that look like it did. And in the late 1970's people loved the flying sequences.

I actually thought Superman II was a MUCH better film.

it wasn't, but it could have been had Richard Donner been allowed to finish making it. The whole turning back time sequence would have made more sense if Superman and Superman 2 had been made by Donner. Over 70 percent of Superman 2 had been filmed by Donner but a large portion of it has never been seen by the public.

OH yeah the music is still perfect

Neil was only a baby when Superman came out. His memory of the film comes after its intial opening. But no matter because he understands the experience the myself and the others who saw it back then.

Joe, who is greatful for the experience.

While i do not have such strong feeling towards the films as Joe and Neil have i must say i think Superman is a bloody great film, certainly THE classic of the Superhero genre.

Reeve is perfect, utterly believable as the man of steel and clark Kent, Margot Kidder is a lovely and spunky Lois, and hell, i just love Gene Hackman and Ned Beatty together.

The effects, although a bit dated by today's standards still look breath taking to me, you can really see they were pushing the envellope here.

The music is great offcourse.

I cannot imagine a remake ever topping this film, certainly not one directed by McG, who is all style but no substance.

Stefancos- who thinks Richard Donner is an under rated director.

The fx are not good, you can see that they are in front of a blue screen or something when they are flying.

Superman must have been the first or second film I ever saw on the big screen when I was very young. My Dad took me and my brother to see it in a cinema that is now a McDonald's. :?

Does anyone remember those Superman cards with bubble gum that you could get at the time? Each card showed a scene from the film with a caption underneath. All I can remember is my brother and I, who had learned all the captions off by heart, calling them out during the film as the relevant scenes appeared! That must have pissed off the rest of the audience, but I don't remember us being ejected for it.

The only two captions I can remember now are "A world torn asunder" (presumably because I thought 'asunder' was a funny word) and also "Superman pays a call on Lois Lane". We all thought this one was hilarious. Why? Well to this day I cannot watch that scene in the penthouse without expecting Lois Lane to be soaked with urine at any moment.

Damien :music:

The fx are not good, you can see that they are in front of a blue screen or something when they are flying.

For it's age the efftecs are outstanding, besides even today they make me believe a man can fly.

Stefancos- thinking morn is to cynical for his own good.

You even want a 5.1 AOTC bootleg so you can ripp the music.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:music:

Not really. Look at the Takis breakdown and think about it. How much unreleased music even made AOTC? 5-10 minutes? The whole end battles are a big hunk of TPM music that we already have. It's quite shameful really.

Stefancos- who thinks anyone who ripps unreleased music from DVD's should not judge other who are also breaking copyright laws.

Umm... it is a long standing joke that I pick on Morn for this, Steef. And you know that I buy all of my items officially, although I sometimes trade for pressed stuff as well as CDRs. But far more legally aquired pressed CDs than traded CDRs in my collection. And only a handful of small mp3s.

And BTW... I thought you were the jokester who though WE were all hypersensitive. Sheesh... :roll:

All I can remember is my brother and I, who had learned all the captions off by heart, calling them out during the film as the relevant scenes appeared!  That must have pissed off the rest of the audience, but I don't remember us being ejected for it.

Oh, so THAT was you?! :evil:

Just kidding. I never got to see the movie in theaters. My first experience was kind of lousy, when it was aired on TV, commercials included and I taped it. I didn't like it much then, but I bought the pan-and-scan video and saw it and feel asleep. That was four years ago. I have still not seen it again, although I look forward to it. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

-ROSS, who loves Supes but not as much as Star Wars.

Morn, I thought you lib***ls don't care what people do privately in their own homes? So I make myself some CDs on my own time for my own listening enjoyment? I paid for the item, it's my property and you can do whatever you want as long as you keep it to yourself.

(And I don't know how those "non-profit promotional" CDs get out either... :music: )

And back to the original point. I think S2 is a more entertaining film than 1. But the 1st Superman and Batman movies are still the class of superhero films to date. (Then again, I haven't seen Spiderman yet... odd that I liked Spiderman better than Supes and Batty when I was a kid-to-teen and I still haven't found the time to see it. I'll probably wait for it to rent or buy).

I saw Superman - The Movie on September 15, 2001 when my theater got one of the new prints to show. Unfortunately, the weekend we planned to show the film was the week of the attack on the World Trade Center, so the attendance wasn't quite what I was hoping it to be.

I previewed the print the night before we showed it to the public, and it was amazing! We showed it in our biggest theater (40 foot wide curved screen) and in Dolby Digital! The print was new and was flawless. When the credits were playing, I was choked up beyond belief. It is my 3rd favorite film (only Raiders and Star Wars beat it) and to finally see it in a theater was really a dream come true.

Neil

Yeah I know the "Kneel before Zod!" thing is from Superman II I was just using it as an example. Simply because I GREATLY PREFER that Superman to the overly cheesy original (not that the sequel wasn't cheesy).

OH and Spiderman is STILL a better film than Supes. Sorry Joe.

You got to see it theatrically, Neil? You lucky SOB.

Great stories, folks, I really envy everyone who's seen it in a theater.

<sigh>

Some day.......

OH and Spiderman is STILL a better film than Supes. Sorry Joe.

I prefer Superman. It's a better made film. It actually convinces you that the hero on screen really is flying. Joe said it best when he described that first scene of Christopher Reeve flying past the camera in the Fortress of Solitude, and he was absolutely right. The film promised that "You'll believe a man can fly" and in that scene, they proved it. You saw Christopher Reeve actually flying.

Spider-Man never once tricked us into believing that was Tobey Maguire swinging through the city. It always looks artificial.

Now I'm not saying that special effects make Superman better, but that is a fundamental difference between the 2 films. The realism. But there is more to it. The acting in Superman is superior, even though Spider-Man is also well acted. But watch that scene in Lois' penthouse when Clark is standing there by himself, almost ready to tell Lois he's Superman. All Reeve does is take off his glasses, and change his posture and voice slightly and he became Superman right in front of us. It's a seriously over looked performance.

Superman also has the better script. Both films handle the characters origins well, but Spider-Man tends to lose steam after that. At least it did for me. I'm still trying to figure out the Green Goblins purpose in that film, beyond being a pain in the neck towards Spider-Man. Superman had a plot, and Luthor's scheme (destroying California by using hijacked nuclear missles) was very evident. It's one of the great capers in film.

In the end, Superman was an epic film, designed to be immensely entertaining. The filmmakers succeeded with that goal. Superman is as great today as it was 23 1/2 years ago. We'll have to see how Spider-Man holds up.

Neil

P.S. Superman - The Movie also has a better score than Spider-Man. :tongue2:

I prefer Superman. It's a better made film. It actually convinces you that the hero on screen really is flying. Joe said it best when he described that first scene of Christopher Reeve flying past the camera in the Fortress of Solitude, and he was absolutely right. The film promised that "You'll believe a man can fly" and in that scene, they proved it. You saw Christopher Reeve actually flying.

Nope, the flying scenes look too fake.

Luthor's scheme (destroying California by using hijacked nuclear missles) was very evident. It's one of the great capers in film.

The missile thing and blow up California is too over the top, cliched and cheesy.

Morn, it may be cheesy, but not cliched. You over use that word, and it does not apply to Superman, since it was the first big budget comicbook film. It broke ground so it cannot be cliched in that respect. Stolen nuclear arms may be cliched but not back in 1978. The film pays homage to several old genres, included film noir, cop capers, love stories, sci-fi, old style comedy. All are combined for an epic film. And Morn, when Superman first flys, it doesn't look fake at all. It looks as real as is can because it WAS real. No blue screen, no matting, no digital, just tried and true wires and great stuntwork live on the set, from the man who will always be Superman. Basically unless there is something large in the background, it is Reeve on a wire. I love it when he saves Air Force One. Looked very real then and still does now.

And Neil, you are so correct, Chris Reeve is so good on so many levels in this film. NO Oscar nomination was a crime. Its funny how as a movie ages it is easy to see how good a performance is and you wonder how it was missed back then. He was equally good in Superman II, though the movie was Super cheesy.

Joe, who wonders why Aotc pops up in this tread, it certainly doesn't belong here and it doesn't hold a candle to Superman the Movie.

Over the top, cliched and cheesy?!?

And you like Spiderman more than Superman?

Oh man......what the hell movie did you see?

Did you miss Green Goblin's ridiculous mask and laugh? Or that glider? Or those bombs that he managed to build in a few days somehow?

I haven't even seen Spiderman. And I'm not going to pay the price of a movie ticket for it, I will download it or rent the dvd. Comic book movies and Morn generally do not go together.

Morn, it may be cheesy, but not cliched. You over use that word, and it does not apply to Superman, since it was the first big budget comicbook film. It broke ground so it cannot be cliched in that respect. Stolen nuclear arms may be cliched but not back in 1978. The film pays homage to several old genres, included film noir, cop capers, love stories, sci-fi, old style comedy.

That too, but what is cliched is the whole give us money or we'll blow something up part :mrgreen:

I dunno if it cliched for those times though.

And Morn, when Superman first flys, it doesn't look fake at all. It looks as real as is can because it WAS real. No blue screen, no matting, no digital, just tried and true wires and great stuntwork live on the set, from the man who will always be Superman. Basically unless there is something large in the background, it is Reeve on a wire. I love it when he saves Air Force One. Looked very real then and still does now.

I read something about Superman's innovative fx in a movie book. Reeve looks fine, but whatever is behind him (wasn't isn't it some projection thing)... He doesn't fit into the background well.

what is cliched is the whole give us money or we'll blow something up part

Which thankfully never appears in Superman - The Movie. I suggest you watch it again.

Neil

What exactly was the plot? I've only seen it once quite a while ago. And there are so many movies I could see instead of seeing it again :mrgreen:

Luthor re-programmed a nuclear missile to hit California and start an earthquake big enough to sink the state. He then was going to develop the "new west coast" with cheap desert land that he had purchased. There was no ransom set, as Luthor in the movies seemed to be far more interested in real estate as opposed to blackmail.

Neil

The reason why Superman is superior to Spider-man is because of what everyone has been saying: putting Reeve and Kidder on cables against a blue screen is far superior to seeing a superhero created 100% from ones and zeroes.

The computer-generated version often looks hyper-realistic, which means you can see that it's trying to look better than reality (i.e. superhuman moves and angles).

With Superman it still looked real, and it required to do exactly what movies should make us do: suspend belief that Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder are flying around the Statue of Liberty.

Anyway, the only time I remember seeing Superman in the theater was about two years ago, when one of the local theaters played it as part of its midnight showings that they often have.

Boy was it fun and those opening titles were much more inspiring than any size TV screen. Seeing that big "S" was slightly equal to having the "Star Wars" logo blast onto the big screen.

Me and my bro used to re-enact scenes from Superman over and over again (Apparently there were two Supermans or something because nobody wanted to be Luthor, LOL !).

We wore out not one, but TWO of the 2 LP sets out listening to it over and over again. I recently tried to see what condition they were in and they were both pretty equally beat.

I was so young when I saw Superman for the first time, I can't even remember it. My parents say it was the first movie I ever watched.

As for Spiderman vs. Superman...Spiderman owes itself to Superman. Superman is better because it was first. In comics and on the screen. I mean...that part when Green Goblin bombs the parade and Peter rips his shirt open while running towards the camera? SUPERMAN! And the only thing the web-slinging did for me was make me wish they'd make a new Superman movie. Sure, Spiderman was good and he was always neat growing up, but he didn't have a movie. Superman DID have a movie and it was really good to a 1 year-old. It made that impression on me, making me think I'd be able to fly whenever I wore the Superman PJs (cape and all).

I liked Spiderman almost as much as I liked Superman, only because it was made 17 years too late. It was a lot better than Batman, that's for sure. I'm all for broad-daylight-and-sunny superhero action, myself.

Not only that, but Superman's better because it's scored by the best. 'Nuff said.

Superman was really given some nice treatment on DVD. They could've sent it to ILM for some help on the SFX, but they made the already-cool titles even cooler with the rumbles of Donner's name and the S-shield.