Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite HP poster is the Hogwarts Castle one from HPSS.

I have 7 movie posters framed my living room:

-HPSS: Hogwarts Castle with the boats going towards it

-Star Wars:classic original one sheet

-Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indy with his whip with the main characters in the background)

-LotR Fellowship of the Ring: the one with the boats in the river with the giant statues

-Batman Begins: Batman with a sunset and bats in the background (not a huge fan of the film but the poster is really cool looking)

-LotR Return of the King: Frodo and Sam in front of Mount Doom

-Kick-Ass: regular theatrical poster

The resolution isn't bad on Struzan's own site, but there are some slight differences from poster to poster. I guess he repainted a few things.

yeah, but i need it with the UK title stamped...

Iwant to use the one without fluffly and smiling ron for the complete score, to be different than the OST cover...

The Deathly Hallows Part I score is completed, acording to Conrad Pope:

Back in L.A. after working on HP7 for Alexandre Desplat. The score adds a new dimension to Potter. Wish I could be more specific and share all my thoughts and news but I've promised the producers my silence until the picture is released. So, everyone with questions: please know they'll be all answered soon enough. For me, it's on to the next panic.... I mean project! (Actually HP was a delight, as these things go).

Sounds nice! :P

The movie poster used to be one of the neat things a director could exert control over who does it, if it's approved etc.

Now days it's another power transferred over to the marketing execs with in-house artists with limited input from the director of the film.

It's floating heads against a mostly nondescript background?

It's much more than floating heads. The lack of light is important for three reasons, I think. 1) It's when the series started to get darker 2) it signifies the influence of the dementors 3) being surronded and almost engulfed darkness makes the three characters seem utterly alone - I think that's what a lot of Harry Potter is about, starting with Prisoner of Azkaban, in a lot of ways. The snow's great, it works very well for the icy dementors. There's something about that lighting with the snow that just perfectly captures the mood of the film. And the tagline - Something Wicked This Way Comes - is just fantastic. I know Macbeth was written well after the Medieval Ages, but that style of phrasing reminds me (and I think many others) of the Medieval Spirit that PoA encompasses to greatly. Content-wise it fits the story like a glove. Throughout the story you become paranoid that the Grim, Sirius Black, Voldemort, the Dementors, etc. are coming for Harry. Even just on a plainly emotional level, we can't help but feel scared when we see Peter Pettigrew approaching Harry on the Map, even though he's supposed to be a good guy. And to top it off, it's even logically relevant to the film, as it's the last line of "Double Trouble." This poster is a triumph in pretty much every way, I think.

It looks especially great when compared to this awful poster that made the DVD cover: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://vampiritza86.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/prisoner-of-azkaban-poster.jpg%3Fw%3D500&imgrefurl=http://movieaddicts4you.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-azkaban/&usg=__x03C4T7T6K0W6fpp3_hymAgFSF0=&h=640&w=433&sz=90&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=YmKAuMMxnlK-uM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprisoner%2Bof%2Bazkaban%2Bposter%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DL27%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1599%26bih%3D774%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C227&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1312&vpy=245&dur=65&hovh=137&hovw=93&tx=108&ty=23&ei=-GmyTKC9CIj0tgPyyM3yAw&oei=-GmyTKC9CIj0tgPyyM3yAw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=51&ved=1t:429,r:37,s:0&biw=1599&bih=774

I notice that the WB has finally altered the trailer on the official HP7 site, after receiving its PG-13 rating and scrapping the 3D release. It now has the official MPAA rating at the beginning, and the "Experience it in IMAX 3D, RealD 3D and 2D theaters" tag has been changed to "Experience it in IMAX".

The trailer that was attached with "Legends of the Guardians" was slightly different than the online release. There were a few new scenes in it, and the pacing is a bit different. That had the byline "In 3D -- 2D in select theaters" -- that'll be gone by next weekend.

He is supposed to look snake-like. His character is often associated with a snake in the book and in the films. If you watched Goblet of Fire or any of the HP films since, you will notice that his nose is replaced by the slits shown above. You may not have noticed it because the CGI face blends seamlessly with his real face. It has a pretty creepy effect.

Well, Dreamworks has moved Spielberg's War Horse from August 10 to December 28, 2011 since Stacy Snider feels it's a more holiday-themed film. That's odd, pitting Adventures of Tintin against War Horse within a week of each other.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/dreamworks-moves-steven-spielbergs-war-horse/

So, guess Williams might be available for DH2 after all...

Very interesting that they've moved War Horse! And it seems that they've already got some footage, maybe Williams has begun to write some main ideas? It curious me how much post-production time they're gonna have if filming's already going well and forth. I hope this doesn't mean a CGI horse, but we'll see...

And now if Williams doesn't do DH2, it's because he doesn't want to. After this, I'm sure we'll have an official announcment soon. This will prove Jacob was right after all! :(

And besides, DH2 won't take that much of his time anyway as he already has plenty of themes to work with and only has to come up with few new ones. It will be a sort of ROTS situation, but better! :lol:

Edit: Does this mean Johnny will be nominated for three scores in 2012?? :P

And besides, DH2 won't take that much of his time anyway as he already has plenty of themes to work with and only has to come up with few new ones. It will be a sort of ROTS situation, but better! :lol:

That's not really how film scoring works...