Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photography of the first two was what I thought made them look boring, uninspired, and generally not very magical. I was relieved whe Columbus left the series and it was allowed to grow up a little bit. This is of course just my opinion, but I consider Columbus one of the least visually/creatively imaginative directors working today.

At least he wasn't afraid of color.

That's a rather feeble argument. He was afraid to make something that stands on it's own, and something that enhances the book. He took a book and filmed it. I find it insulting when a director assumes that a book is so far above film in class, that anything less than literal and unimaginative adaptation would be fitting. Cuaron showed so much more respect for the characters and the world. His film had some real magic in it. Columbus tried to say 'look at the color! Pretty magical, eh?' and proceeded to yell out 'MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!' at every stage. Cuaron showed us real characters, and the relatability of it made the magic infintesmaly more magical. Columbus filmed a book. Cuaron made a film. Columbus cared about Rowling and WB. Cuaron cared about these characters. I find most of the criticisms of the third film mind-boggling, partiuclarly when compared to it's predecessors.

That doesn't change Newell and Yates' films looking awful.

I wasn't really making an argument Morlock, and I'm not wading into the whole Columbus vs. Cuaron thing, the Potter movies honestly don't interest me enough to care anymore. I was just continuing my tirade againt rampant grading, and at least Columbus wasn't afraid to mostly use natural color. Nor was Cuaron, for that matter. The sickly green look of every HBP trailer is just that- sickly.

Columbus set the look for the Potter films and his two are colorful and well shot.

Columbus set the look for the Potter films

... A sucky look.

you're full of it, its a great look, the school looks spectacular.

Columbus set the look for the Potter films

... A sucky look.

you're full of it, its a great look, the school looks spectacular.

It's pleasant and inoffensive.

The photography of the first two was what I thought made them look boring, uninspired, and generally not very magical. I was relieved whe Columbus left the series and it was allowed to grow up a little bit. This is of course just my opinion, but I consider Columbus one of the least visually/creatively imaginative directors working today.

At least he wasn't afraid of color.

That's a rather feeble argument. He was afraid to make something that stands on it's own, and something that enhances the book. He took a book and filmed it. I find it insulting when a director assumes that a book is so far above film in class, that anything less than literal and unimaginative adaptation would be fitting. Cuaron showed so much more respect for the characters and the world. His film had some real magic in it. Columbus tried to say 'look at the color! Pretty magical, eh?' and proceeded to yell out 'MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!' at every stage. Cuaron showed us real characters, and the relatability of it made the magic infintesmaly more magical. Columbus filmed a book. Cuaron made a film. Columbus cared about Rowling and WB. Cuaron cared about these characters. I find most of the criticisms of the third film mind-boggling, partiuclarly when compared to it's predecessors.

Only the wardrobes of the characters make POA one of the ugliest Potter films in the series.

I don't get the appeal of these at all. The books were an ok read, but I barely made it through twenty minutes of POA, which I thought was the best of the books I had read.

I stopped after POA, because I felt the books wouldn't get any better. I also think it's the best and will remain the best of the films. I'm probably done seeing the Potter films in theaters.

Did I understand correctly some work is being done on making better rear-channel HP 1 rips?

I'm still wanting to make a low-SFX extended version of that.

At the moment I am in no position to give it a listen (Internet is too slow),

but I'll be very interested in about a month when I get back home again.

Umm, no.

Hamlet is a masterpiece of literature. The Inferno is a masterpiece of literature. Harry Potter doesn't even come close, I'd say it's about 50 million miles away.

speaking like you always do again, how typical, there are many types of masterpieces,

I'm not being ignorant. Yes there are many types of masterpieces, but he said masterpiece of literature. Harry Potter is not a masterpiece of literature.

Literature is a pretty damn broad category. If he said literary masterpiece of the 21st century, that would be more understandable.

its doesn't matter what century, though just to correct you its the 20th century.

I wouldn't call the books a masterwork by any stretch of the imagination. However I do think that what it did for reading is excellent - it brought people to books that may never have gotten into reading. It's pretty much the largest cultural phenomenon since Star Wars.

She's up there with such great thinkers as Dan Brown, Mitch Albom and Stephenie Meyer.

only a f'ing moron would put her books along side the works of those authors.

and only a f'ing moron would say JKR is the equal of Shakespear.

but even those authors bring out readers so why is that a bad thing.

What is literarture anyway?

The books I had to read for school that they claimed were "literature" were pooE!

However, books like the Hornblower series really are literature as far as I'm concerned.

And Harry Potter is very close to that; I need to read the books again.

Literature is essentially any king of written work. Drama, poetry, fiction, it's all literature. There is so much of it, that it's conceivable to put Harry Potter at the top.

It's more than conceivable.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't see this one going to 200 unless John decides to score the Deathly Hallows

It's not new, but I really like it.

The music is awesome, except for that rendition of Hedwig's Theme at the end.

I also think the music is exceptionally exciting and appropriate for a trailer. Who wrote it??

[Yet] Shakespeare is still read and performed hundreds of years after his death. We don't know how it will be for Rowling.

I have a feeling if she has anything to say about it, nobody will be allowed to read and perform her works in a hundred years unless her estate can somehow profit from it.

[Yet] Shakespeare is still read and performed hundreds of years after his death. We don't know how it will be for Rowling.

I have a feeling if she has anything to say about it, nobody will be allowed to read and perform her works in a hundred years unless her estate can somehow profit from it.

honestly,I think Potter was just a passing thing.