SW Highlights, Performed by Cornell University Wind Symphony

Saxman717

Hey everyone! I am a saxophone player in the Cornell University Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony, and this past Fall we performed Donald Hundsberger's wind ensemble transcription of the Star Wars Trilogy Concert Suite. I'll be converting the songs to mp3s later today and will send them to anyone who is interested. The piece is ordered as:

Movement 1: Imperial March

Movement 2: Leia's Theme

Movement 3: Battle in the Forest

Movement 4: Yoda's Theme

Movement 5: Star Wars Main Theme and Encore of Imperial March

If anyone is interested in any of the above movements, let me know!

-Steve

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhoh, looks like my cornell mail server won't even let me send attachments greater than 2MB........any of you have AIM? If not, I can try sending them from my yahoo account.

Wow, um, amazingly enough, angelfire.com shut down the site with the mp3s about 30 minuets after i put them up.....and they are TOTALLY not copyrighted....I played in the ensemble, its my material to distribute, geez! :-/ Anyway, anyone have ideas on where I can post the mp3s or how I can send them to people? They are too large for email......if you have AIM, IM me at saxman717. For now, sleep......GO USA!

OK everyone, I'm uploading the songs to a myplay.com locker, so what you can do is......

1) go to www.myplay.com

2) login as: email: saxman777@yahoo.com password: jwfan

3) go to My Locker

4) check the songs you'd like to download, then download!

Let me know if you have any problems!

-Steve

I've selected Leai's theme first....Download took a loooooong time....

But WOW, 8O thats a beautiful performance of it. Wonderful.

Well done Steve, and pass on my congratulations to the orchestra....

Brings tears to my eyes that piece of music. I'll download the others to listen too.

"Applause....applause".... :o

Thanks, I will pass the message on next Fall....glad you like it! It was soooo awesome to play in last November, definitely the highlight concert of my career. We also played the Planets too (Mars, Venus, Uranus, and Jupiter), and I can upload those too if anyone's interested.

Oh i certainly would be interested about the Planets.

Especially Neptune....one of my favourites on that compostition.

By the way, i'm having a little trouble downloading the Yoda/Title suite.

It downloaded but seems to have downloaded as a document..not an MP3.

But maybe i did something wrong....i'll try again. I wanna hear that one.

hmmmmm, that's weird, yeah it looks like it's on there as a document.....I'll re-upload it now. And did someone delete the Imperial March or was it never up there? I'll reload that one too :-)

"The Imperial March" played after the "Main Title" cues applause. I really liked the performances. I just re-named track "V" to a ".mp3" file and it played fine. Thank you for sharing!

Neil

Thanks! I reuploaded movement IV, so it should be there in mp3 format......I also uploaded the first playing of the Imperial March (not Encore), movement I, so enjoy! and thanks for the feedback!

oooookay, I'm having so much trouble with this, argh :-P Now that site seems to not be working well, so I'm uploading them to a different, *hopefully* more stable site. They all should be up within 15 minues and I'll give you all the instructions.....foolish online storage :o :roll:

ok.......let's see if this does it......

1) go to www.globaldesk.com and login as user: saxman717 password: jwfan

2) once you're at the inbox, you should see all the files there, right click and save them, and you should be good to go!

Get them while they're hot, tho, 'cause this stingy account expires in 4 days :roll:

Hope it works now, sorry about all the technical trouble....never posted any files before :-P

Thanks fort he heads up.....ok, I need some help here. I really want to share these files with people, but can't seem to find any good upload sites. I can send the files to anyone who has AIM....my screenname is Saxman717 , but is there any possible way I can put them online for peopel to download? Any help here would be great. And in the meantime, IM me and I will send you the files directly!

-Steve

OK, I think my mp3s have FINALLY found a respectable home, thanks to ecurbh and his fantastic FTP site. So, here should be the final list of links to the mp3s.....I also uploaded our performance of The Planets from the same concert! (That concert was the highlight of my career...all my favorite pieces!) Here they are:

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_imperial_march.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_leia_theme.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_battle_in_the_forest.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_yoda_theme_main_title_encore.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_mars.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_venus.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_jupiter.mp3

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/cu_wind_symphony_uranus.mp3

Enjoy! Let me know what you think! :)

Listened to one track so far (The Forest Battle). Takes me back to my college band days. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

I just listened to that Forest Battle MP3..I dont have the Return of the Jedi CD.

But is that really your orchestra?...or you having me on? (compliment)

Its absoloutely FABULOUS. Sounds very professional.

That is most definitely us! It's not even an orchestra, no strings....it's a wind ensemble! Comprised of 2 music majors :-) I'm glad you appreciate it so much!

Oh, one neat point of interest, too, our conductor for that concert and this whole past year was Mark Davis Scatterday.....he has been the Cornell Music Dept. chair for the past like 10 or so years......and this coming Fall, he is leaving us to become the new Eastman Wind Ensemble director, replacing Donald Hundsburger! It was a big priviledge playing under such an amazing conductor, and I'm sure the quality of music of these recordings were largely due to his conducting skills :-)

...this coming Fall, he is leaving us to become the new Eastman Wind Ensemble director, replacing Donald Hundsburger!

Wow, that is impressive!

Have you ever played anything by David Maslanka? He is my absolute favorite band composer. While I was at UofArizona, we did the world premiere of his Mass for band, chorus, boys choir and soloists. Unfortunately, I was not in that band at the time. :)

My pleasure! Oh, ecurbh, I'm uploading MorningStar for you in case you'd like to have a listen. I didn't play in that piece last year 'cause i was only soprano sax for that concert, and the tempo seemed a little slow to me at the time, but I like it for the most part!

www.ecurbh.com/~saxman/CU_David_Maslanka_Morning_Star.mp3

Also, now that I have a reliable FTP site, I can post any other requests that people have of works that we've performed at my school. We've done Copland, Husa, Hindemith, Ticheli, and many many others. I'll provide a short list of some of our highlights if anyone's interested :)

Yeah, that's a nice piece, and the performance sounds great.

I am moving cross-country this weekend, but when I get settled, I'll upload some of our performances for you. It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get back online regularly (how will I ever survive that long?).

OK, excellent! I look forward to hearing those....does anyone else have personal recordings that they can share? I know I for one would be interested:-)