Favorite Harry Potter Theme

Ray Barnsbury

Favorite Harry Potter Theme  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Hedwig's Theme
    • Nimbus 2000 (2nd half of Prologue, Mr. Longbottom Flies)
    • Harry's Theme (Harry's Wondrous World)
    • Family Theme (Leaving Hogwarts)
    • Quidditch Fanfare
    • Hogwarts Forever!
    • Sorcerer's Stone Motif
    • Voldemort's Theme/You-Know-Who Theme
    • Fawkes the Phoenix
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • Gilderoy Lockhart
    • Dobby the House Elf
    • Other

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is Nimbus 2000.

Is this an answer to my question or do you mean Nimbus 2000 is your fav theme?

I assume he was answering your question, since the theme you're talking about is indeed Numbus 2000.

Ray Barnbsury

I think there's some confusion about Nimbus 2000. MSM, I think, is talking about the motif that accompanies Harry first taking off on his broom. The melody is never really used again in the main part of the first movie. The poll seems to indicate that Nimbus 2000 is the jaunty, mischievious theme that is used in the prologue and many times in the film.

I'm not sure if the former counts as a theme but it would perhaps be my favorite. It has a wizadry, adventurous feel that I really like. Fawkes and the Family theme are up there also.

- Adam

To be honest I've been obsessed with the HP scores ever since they came out and even after reading Frank Lehman's spot-on analyses, I only have a vague idea of what the differences are between Hedwig's Theme, Nimbus 2000, Quidditch Fanfare, and Hogwarts Forever! What makes this terribly difficult is that all of these themes are used in The Quidditch Match.

It doesn't help that JW sometimes gives his themes names that are misleading. Hedwig and Nimbus 2000 don't really explain anything. If I didn't see the movies myself I would have thought Hedwig was the center of the story with a strong supporting role from a broom.

- Adam

The poll seems to indicate that Nimbus 2000 is the jaunty, mischievious theme that is used in the prologue and many times in the film.  

Yes, to clear up any confusion: the theme known as 'Nimbus 2000' does not have much to do with the broom; it's as poorly named as Hedwig's Theme. Nimbus 2000 is the theme heard in the following places (all in the first soundtrack):

Prologue 1:24

Visit to the Zoo and Letters from Hogwarts 0:25

Mr. Longbottom Flies 0:02

The Quidditch Match 2:07

Hedwig's Theme 1:35

Hope this helps.

Ray Barnsbury

The poll seems to indicate that Nimbus 2000 is the jaunty, mischievious theme that is used in the prologue and many times in the film.  

Yes, to clear up any confusion: the theme known as 'Nimbus 2000' does not have much to do with the broom; it's as poorly named as Hedwig's Theme. Nimbus 2000 is the theme heard in the following places (all in the first soundtrack):

Hope this helps.

Ray Barnsbury

Hey, can you do the same for the other themes? One or two examples would help clear up my embarassing confusion.

I went for family theme. Am I right in thinking that's the theme we hear when Harry gives Hedwig a Yuletide flight in the first movie? I hope so because that's the theme I like the best. Beautiful! I saw Johnny conduct this at the Blossom festival a few years ago.

Yes, that's the family theme. Diskobolus, what theme did you have a question about? Hogwarts Forever (gryfendor theme) is a track on the album so that can answer that question. Hedwig's theme is the oft-repeated main theme (two similarly flavored motifs really) with its own track name. The quidditch fanfare only appears in the quidditch cue and Harry's Wondrous World - I'm too lazy to find the track time but it sounds like an athletic fanfare (real helpful I'm sure).

- Adam

I think there's some confusion about Nimbus 2000. MSM, I think, is talking about the motif that accompanies Harry first taking off on his broom. The melody is never really used again in the main part of the first movie. The poll seems to indicate that Nimbus 2000 is the jaunty, mischievious theme that is used in the prologue and many times in the film.

I'm not sure if the former counts as a theme but it would perhaps be my favorite. It has a wizadry, adventurous feel that I really like. Fawkes and the Family theme are up there also.

- Adam

Yes that's the theme I mean. It's indeed a theme since it's too extensive to be a motive IMO.

It can be heard in:

- Mr Longbottom Flies from 2:04

- Hedwig's Theme from 2:47 and 3:27

It is pretty underused in the movie (and the score) while it's such an exciting adventurous theme. Let's call it the Flying Theme.

I wouldn't call it the flying theme, I think it's another vague theme. It could be the Popularity Theme eveyone's cheering Harry!

I wouldn't call it the flying theme, I think it's another vague theme. It could be the Popularity Theme eveyone's cheering Harry!

Another vague theme!? :P It's one of the most full blown themes in the score!

Isn't it also used when the letter from Hogwarts arrives in the first film? You know, when Uncle Vernon first sees it?

- Marc, who calls it a Flying Theme anyway.

Isn't it also used when the letter from Hogwarts arrives in the first film? You know, when Uncle Vernon first sees it?

Can't remember...have to watch the scene again.

- Marc, who calls it a Flying Theme anyway.

:P

Good descriptions Adam . . . if you need more clarification on certain themes, just ask and I can post track times.  

Ray Barnsbury

Please do!

The theme is used only once, Marc, when Harry first flies. And that's why its hard to call it a theme. It has a worked out melody but "theme" implies a reoccuring idea in a movie. Its used in the end credits again, and towards the beginning of COS (non-flying context). Anyway, it is what it is - people can call it whatever they want. I voted for "other", so I guess I'm willing to call it a theme.

- Adam

"Theme" doesn't have to refer to a leitmotif. And in musical terms, it's definitely a theme. However, I think it has too tragic undertones to be considered a flying theme (aside from the fact that there's plenty of flying in the movies without that theme).

Marian - wondering if it'll reappear in POA.

:P Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox - CD #6

The theme is used only once, Marc, when Harry first flies. And that's why its hard to call it a theme. It has a worked out melody but "theme" implies a reoccuring idea in a movie. Its used in the end credits again, and towards the beginning of COS (non-flying context). Anyway, it is what it is - people can call it whatever they want. I voted for "other", so I guess I'm willing to call it a theme.

Oh, that thing. I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the quirky tune you can also hear in the CoS DVD menu.

- Marc

"Theme" doesn't have to refer to a leitmotif. And in musical terms, it's definitely a theme. However, I think it has too tragic undertones to be considered a flying theme (aside from the fact that there's plenty of flying in the movies without that theme).

Marian - wondering if it'll reappear in POA.

:P Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox - CD #6

Not a crucial issue and, as I say, I'm willing to call it a theme. But it seems to be a specific musical representation of a specific moment and I still think that theme is suggestive of an idea which is represented in more than one place in a film - composers create "themes" to connect aspects of a story to one another and unify an idea that can be represented through music. But people can define it in different ways, there's no absolute meaning.

The melody captures a sense of flight, adventure and magic, partly. The dark undertones of the melody reinforces the danger and seriousness with which everything unfolds, IMO. Can't really give that a name if we're going to call it a theme.

- Adam

You already got yours? how is it?

Some great stuff on there, lots of stuff I already have (I knew that of course), and some stuff I don't care too much about after the first listen. Still, bits like Von Ryan's Express make it worthwile, although I keep disliking the concept of compilations, unless they're for "newbies" or new recordings...but since these aren't available separately, I'm happy to have it.

Mind you, I've only listened to each disc once yet. :)

Marian - now listening to his other new VC CD:

:music: The Robe (Alfred Newman)

Regarding the theme in question, the "Flying Theme" as some call it, I just consider it a part of Nimbus 2000. It's only ever used in the midst of the Nimbus theme, kind of like the two parts of Hedwig's theme.

Ray Barnsbury

Well, that's because it's used only once, isn't it? (Plus in the COS prologue, but that's mostly a rehash of most themes from PS without special connection to the on-screen action).

It's used once in the first film (Harry returning with the Remembrall), the end credits of the first film (Hedwig's Theme), and the beginning of the second film, which you mentioned. Each time, it's played in the middle of the Nimbus theme. Not that it couldn't be in the future, but I see no reason to believe it's at all separate from the Nimbus Theme; I see it as a sort of "B section."

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, but as I said, in the second film, it's just a recapture of music from the first film...it probably appears there combined with Nimbus because it was taken that way from the first movie.

And in the end credits, it also appears exactly like in the actual movie, it's a direct copy of the same tracks. That's what I meant. :) The Nimbus theme however appears many more times, always without this one, and never related to a Nimbus either. ;)

:music: Bad Girls excerpts (Jerry Goldsmith)

Yes, I see what you're saying and you're absolutely right. I just think it's going too far to call it a Flying Theme or even a separate theme of its own. IMHO, of course. :music:

Ray Barnsbury

But then you should regard Hedwig's theme (the celesta theme) and Harry's theme as an A and B variation (and not as separate thems) as well, since those two are definitely related. E.g. in Letters from Hogwarts they are mixed, like the Nimbus theme and the Flying theme are in Hedwig's Theme (the track) and Mr. Longbottom Flies.

MSM - glad to see everyone is already talking in terms of "The Flying Theme" :music:

MSM, please read Frank Lehman's Harry Potter Thematic Analysis to clear some things up for yourself. Harry's Theme as used in this poll is what Frank calls Harry Potter's Primary Theme. It is not found in Letters from Hogwarts.

Ray Barnsbury-who thinks reading that wonderful analysis should have been required before contributing to this topic

For diskobolus and others who may be interested: here are some tracks and times where you can find the themes in the poll. For more info, follow the link in the post above for a great analysis by Frank Lehman.

Hedwig's Theme

Prologue, 0:02. Hedwig's Theme is made up of two parts, the second of which begins at 0:20 in the same track. For all practical purposes, the two of them together comprise Hedwig's Theme.

Nimbus 2000

Harry's Theme

Harry's Wondrous World 0:12, and numerous more times throughout the track

The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season 1:37

Family Theme

Harry's Wondrous World 2:04

The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season 1:56

The Invisibility Cloak and The Library Scene 2:07

Leaving Hogwarts 0:18

Quidditch Fanfare

Harry's Wondrous World 2:59

The Quidditch Match 0:45

Hogwarts Forever

Entry into the Great Hall and the The Banquet 2:08

Hogwarts Forever! and The Moving Stairs 0:00

Sorcerer's Stone Motif

Diagon Alley and The Gringotts Vault 2:53

The Face of Voldemort 0:15

Voldemort's Theme

The Quidditch Match 5:13

The Face of Voldemort 1:56

You-Know-Who Theme

The Face of Voldemort 1:25, 4:48 (briefy)

The themes from CoS have tracks named for them, so if you don't know what they are, you're beyond what I can do for you. :music:

Ray Barnsbury

MSM, please read Frank Lehman's Harry Potter Thematic Analysis to clear some things up for yourself.  Harry's Theme as used in this poll is what Frank calls Harry Potter's Primary Theme.  It is not found in Letters from Hogwarts.  

Ray Barnsbury-who thinks reading that wonderful analysis should have been required before contributing to this topic

Ok I was referring to Harry's theme as what Lehman calls the second guise of Hedwig's Theme. So we agree on that they're related.

So my statement is: Nimbus 2000 and the Flying Theme differ to much to be just A and B versions as the two versions of Hedwig's Theme. Besides they reflect different emotions.

Hedwig's Theme

Prologue, 0:02. Hedwig's Theme is made up of two parts, the second of which begins at 0:20 in the same track. For all practical purposes, the two of them together comprise Hedwig's Theme.  

Nimbus 2000

Harry's Theme

Harry's Wondrous World 0:12, and numerous more times throughout the track  

The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season 1:37  

Family Theme

Harry's Wondrous World 2:04  

The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season 1:56  

The Invisibility Cloak and The Library Scene 2:07  

Leaving Hogwarts 0:18  

Quidditch Fanfare

Harry's Wondrous World 2:59  

The Quidditch Match 0:45  

Hogwarts Forever

Entry into the Great Hall and the The Banquet 2:08  

Hogwarts Forever! and The Moving Stairs 0:00  

Sorcerer's Stone Motif

Diagon Alley and The Gringotts Vault 2:53  

The Face of Voldemort 0:15  

Voldemort's Theme

The Quidditch Match 5:13  

The Face of Voldemort 1:56  

You-Know-Who Theme

The Face of Voldemort 1:25, 4:48 (briefy)

I would add:

Flying Theme

Mr Longbottom Flies from 2:04

Hedwig's Theme from 2:47 and 3:27

Diagon Alley Theme

Diagon Alley and the Gringott's Vault from 0:00

Wizard Fanfare

The final theme in The Journey to Hogwarts from about 2:10 I think

Entry into the Great Hall from 0:00 (film version)

Diagon Alley from 0:00 (film version)

Wizard Fanfare

The final theme in The Journey to Hogwarts from about 2:10 I think

Entry into the Great Hall from 0:00 (film version)

Diagon Alley from 0:00 (film version)

I still think that's the real Hogwarts theme, and Hogwarts Forever is actually a Gryffindor theme. :mrgreen: (Watch the Quidditch match to see why I believe that)

Marian - who thinks the You-Know-Who theme is underrepresented on the album.

Yes but I didn't call it Hogwarts' Theme because it works very well in the Diagon Alley scene as well. So I thought: it kinda refers to the wizards' world.

I voted for Fawkes. But I'm hoping that'll change in a month and a half with the soundtrack for the Prisoner of Azkaban is released. The way I see it, The Chamber of Secrets wasn't a full fledged effort from JW since it was lodged between so many other scores in 2002, hence William Ross coming on board. Nevertheless, we still got some really good new themes. John had a huge break before scoring The Prisoner of Azkaban, so I really think this score is gonna be a knockout. I'm hoping for a couple of new incredible themes too.

Ted