Spielberg article in Time magazine

Harry Potter

I wasn't sure if anyone else read this or new about this or even posted it, so I'm posting a like to an article from this week's Time magazine.

Here's the link!

I thought this quote was interesting:

And, by golly, someday he is going to direct a musical. "I'm gonna do that even if people laugh it off the face of the earth," he vows.

~Harry

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watch the beginning of Temple of Doom to see just how good he can direct a musical.

TERRIFIC

Well perhaps he will do one. I didn't even think about the beginning of Temple. Like you both said, that show he clearly knows what he's doing.

~Harry

Don't forget the Swing, Swing, Swing scene from 1941. As fun as the beginning of Temple is, the camerawork in the 1941 scene is miles above the TOD bit, as is (most importantly) the coreography. When Spielberg talks about the fact that he was going to make 1941 a musical, it makes me have such wonderful "what if" dreams...Imagine, 1941 with a full swing score and big band type of songs throughout. Wonderful!

And alas, never to be... :cry:

You can bet it'll be about WWII, in some way. There are few Spielberg movies that aren't. I mean...the references aren't as prevalent as Johnny's scores, but you can't deny the man has a fixation with the event. Just look at the Navy fighters in CE3K. Obviously 1941. The setting of the Indy quadrilogy. Amazing Stories--"The Mission". Empire of the Sun's setting. Always (the planes are from WWII). Schindler's List. Saving Private Ryan. That's about 40% of his movies. Pretty likely it'll be a WWII musical.

Don't forget that the original intention for Hook was to make a musical about Peter Pan. That is the reason why Hook has so many themes and songs, since Williams already composed everything. I'm still wandering if there are more songs like we don't wanna grow up or when you're alone...

A couple of years ago the lyrics of this song Childhood were found and somebody made a nice recording of it.

Do you still have that song Ricard?

Shadows, mem'ries, lingering laughter.

Reach out, touch me, half my life after.

Glimpses, moments, smiling inside me.

Spirits that guide me back to the days of childhood... childhood...

Echoes, whispers, I can still hear them.

Something makes me long to be near them.

Places, faces, dreams I'd forgotten.

Dreams that had gotten lost in the days of childhood... childhood...

Many mem'ries come and go.

Where they come from, who can know?

Try rememb'ring in your heart;

you will start to see the picture...

Picture childhood... summer and sunshine.

Take your mem'ries, make every one shine.

Cherish childhood as ev'ry child should.

Gather the golden moments the way a care free child would.

And when the world's asleep,

childhood's the dream you'll dream, and keep!

You can bet it'll be about WWII, in some way.  There are few Spielberg movies that aren't.  I mean...the references aren't as prevalent as Johnny's scores, but you can't deny the man has a fixation with the event.  Just look at the Navy fighters in CE3K.  Obviously 1941.  The setting of the Indy quadrilogy.  Amazing Stories--"The Mission".  Empire of the Sun's setting.  Always (the planes are from WWII).  Schindler's List.  Saving Private Ryan.  That's about 40% of his movies.  Pretty likely it'll be a WWII musical.

Sorry, in Indy IV, i HOPE the WWII has ended, you know Indy will be about 50-60, soo.... that makes it 1950-60 at least

And don't forget the Indianapolis speech in Jaws (another WWII reference). Spielberg has said many, many times how important the war was to him from his father telling stories about his service during it.

I'd love a WWII musical from him. Something from the past at least.

Something about the scene from "Empire of the Sun" during the "Jim's New Life" track is reminiscent of a musical or something. Maybe it just reminds me of Orff's Burana.