'The Terminal' FULL (2:27) Trailer now out!

Hlao-roo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Terminal" tells the story of Viktor Navorski (Tom Hanks), a visitor to New York from Eastern Europe, whose homeland erupts in a fiery coup while he is in the air en route to America. Stranded at Kennedy Airport with a passport from nowhere, he is unauthorized to actually enter the United States and must improvise his days and nights in the terminal?s international transit lounge until the war at home is over.

As the weeks and months stretch on, Viktor finds the compressed universe of the terminal to be a richly complex world of absurdity, generosity, ambition, amusement, status, serendipity and even romance with a beautiful flight attendant named Amelia (Catherine Zeta-Jones). But Viktor has long worn out his welcome with airport official Frank Dixon, who considers him a bureaucratic glitch, a problem he cannot control but wants desperately to erase.

Source: Rotten Tomatoes

It's without a doubt at least part romantic comedy. I think one of the reasons the romance is played up so much in the trailer is that they obviously want to sell Zeta-Jones as well as Hanks.

Zeta-Jones, by the way, can definitely credit Spielberg, I think, for her rise to stardom in the U.S. since 1998. Before she caught Spielberg's eye in that 1996 'Titanic' TV movie, she was stuck doing Hallmark's The Return of the Native and whatnot.

Zeta-Jones, by the way, can definitely credit Spielberg, I think, for her rise to stardom in the U.S. since 1998.  Before she caught Spielberg's eye in that 1996 'Titanic' TV movie, she was stuck doing Hallmark's The Return of the Native and whatnot.

I liked Zeta-Jones in The Phantom before anyone even knew who she was. Now she does nothing for me.

Neil

[President]Make no mistake about it![/President] It's a feel-good comedy.

Many people are afraid for another jazzy score but something tells me they shouldn't be.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Many people are afraid for another jazzy score but something tells me they shouldn't be.  

Alex Cremers

A jazzy score doesn't seem to fit this movie, so I think you're right.

I had a bad feeling about this movie a long time ago. Then I saw the trailer and it confirmed my fears. Spielberg seems to going through some kind of phase in his life since he hooks up with some of these strange projects. To me Terminal seems just another romantic comedy with an unusual plot. Musically this can't present challenges for Williams but I keep hoping for the best. And a jazzy score would be nice but seems unlikely. Bring on Indy 4 so Williams can get into his adventure mode of scoring.

All this time I'd never bothered to find out what the movie was about. I just assumed it was a random movie about planes and possibly bad things... I should really pay attention more.

What's wrong with planes? Heck, that guy gets to live in an airport, I could only dream of that! I'm definatly going to see it as an aviation fan.. and for Catherine Zeta-Jones too ofcourse ;)

What is that music playing for most of the trailer? I know I've heard it. I keep thinking it's from "Pollock."

Jeff -- who's going to see it for Stanley Tucci and the music

Alex Cremers

A jazzy score doesn't seem to fit this movie, so I think you're right.

Oh,a contemporary pop score would fit this film,so be very afraid.This guy is from a russian kind of country,so we'll get an eastern european flavoured theme for when he has flashbacks about his family life from whatever country he comes from,and a menacing Men in Black theme for the airport security guys plotting to make his life more miserable.

K.M.

It aint Thanksgiving but MAN I smell a turkey watching this.

That, my friends, is the pinnacle of wit.

It's as witty as two very witty things getting witted together to create some extraordinarly witty thing!

Justin

I'm just glad they clarified the subject matter by putting a little plane image on the film's logo: when I first heard the title (when it was just called Terminal) I thought it was going to be about someone dying of cancer or some such like. Seriously. I kid you not - especially since it was going to star Tom Cruise (Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, in which his characters died). Then when the title was changed by adding a "The" before "Terminal" it sounded like some weepy flick about a support group for terminal patients.

I was wondering if anyone thought that the music from 0:42 to 1:35 might be original music by il maestro? To me, it reminded me of a cross between "To Manhattan"/"The Mecha World" and "The Float". The piano parts sounds like his style, the low eighth-notes from the piano around 1:27 sound like him, and high sixteenths that are being played before the end of the piece remind me of the first movement of the cello concerto and "The Mecha World". So...when you hear those things the first time, you go back and listen to the other parts that you didn't expect to be Williams, and you think, "Wow...I could see JW writing something like this. This definitely feels like him." The flow and tone seems like him, too. So...if you guys are crazy enough to analyze it that much, do you agree it's probably Williams?

The only problem with it is it's not a very strong main theme if this is Williams. If there's anything thematic about the trailer music, it's the strings, which wouldn't be the strongest element to build a theme off of. Williams usually doesn't do that. The strings seem to be treated like they're playing the movie's theme, though. But maybe there were several themes in CMIYC--which is what this piece in the trailer reminds me of (too). So maybe this is like "The Float", there's a love theme, and maybe a theme for Viktor? Anyway...this is way too much analyzing. I just need to wait and see it for free when I get on at the theater this summer.

I kid you not - especially since it was going to star Tom Cruise (Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, in which his characters died).

He's not as good as Tom Hanks in Minority Report. :P

Neil

HUGE LAUGHTER!

Thanks Neil for spotting my gaff.

And do you want to know what else is funny? I re-read that post twice to check it before I submitted it and STILL didn't pick up the error, until I read your post.

Derrrr. Oh well, Cruise, Hanks, whatever, it was at least some successful Yankee actor called Tom anyway.