Minority Report

Luke Skywalker

in the cover says: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

that can mean it is complete?

why in Harry potter it said MUSIC FROM AND INSPIRED BY THE MOTION PICTURE?

is there any difference between ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK and MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically everything concerning the music score from movies as offered on the CDs we regularly buy is INSPIRED by the motion picture (composer, except for Star Wars, sees sketches from almost-complete movie and it is supposed to inspire him to tinge it with his music), hence the heading in the albums... :-)

No, seriously, I have only seen HP twice and moreover it was dubbed into Czech to disburden our little kids so I can't tell which cues presented on the soundtrack really made their way onto screen and which cues are "album arrangements" since much of the music was lost in the fog of dubbing.

Anything that appears in the movie that was altered or tailored for its album release may be labeled as "inspired by..." and conversely.

What confuses me more is the difference --if there's any-- between ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK and ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE.

Yoda L.-)

Here's what I've always thought:

A "score" is the music composed to accompany a movie.

A "soundtrack" can include songs that are used in the movie, but were not written for the movie.

"Music Inspired By" means that the music was written for the movie, but might not have been used in the movie. (I'm the least sure about this one.)

A score does not have to be something composed for a movie. Have you ever heard of a condensed score? That is the music a band director lookes at as he directs. A score is sheet music with all the instruments parts in a row. A soundtrack is music from a movie, but I am not sure about it including "songs that are used in a movie but not written for it."

Let's take a look at the last few dozen or so John Williams movie albums (pseudo-chronological order)...

Born on the Fourth of July and Always: MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

Stanley and Iris through Far and Away: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: ORIGINAL SCORE

Jurassic Park through Amistad: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

...and then it gets screwy...

Saving Private Ryan: MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Stepmom: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Angela's Ashes: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE

The Patriot: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Minority Report: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

So I've no idea what makes Minority Report so much like The Patriot...

It probably has to do with:

1. The Record Company and their standards

2. Whoever is designing the covers and what their preference is.

There is no universal standard out there. Try not to waste time thinking about it.

To confuse matters more, they sometimes CHANGE those titles WITHOUT changing the content.

The original dual LP of The Empire Strikes Back came with several different variations of these titles. Here are some examples of the front covers:

(My RSO dual LPs)-Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Composed And Conducted By John Williams, Performed By The London Symphony Orchestra (My Polydor cassette, exact same content and artwork the dual LP)
    -Original Soundtrack (My original RSO/Polydor CDs, which is the same content as the single album version of the above, missing half of the previous release's music)
      So, that is just a meaningless title. As Alex said... Pay little mind to it. And I agree completely with NeejaHalycon's descriptions. I've thought the same about them, although some companies can mess them up.
      However, "Anniversary", "Complete"(THAT'S rare), and especially "Expanded" ALWAYS means something good. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure about this, but in France, what we call a "Bande Originale de Film" (aka "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack") is considered as the soundtrack that was written by someone, SPECIFICALY for this motion picture. That's why it's "Original". A "soundtrack", in itself, is containing music, but not necessarily "original" music.

However, there is a bad habits these days from music studios to call every soundtrack an "Original Soundtrack". So composers went crazy because some stuff which weren't composed specificaly for the movie were sold as if they were - in a way, it was a good plan to cheat on the customer back.

So, right now, there is a HUGE difference between "Music from and inspired by", which usually means a compilation CD from various artists, with some tracks eventually used in the movie, and "Original Soundtrack".

For example, SpiderMan has two CDs : the "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack", from Danny Elfman, and the "Music from and inspired by", containing various songs that you can hear during the movie.

Other examples like Spider-Man are numerous : Forrest Gump, Mission : Impossible, Small Soldiers, Men In Black, Maverick...

However, there is a difference between "Soundtrack" and "Score", because the word Soundtrack applies to every music in the movie, where Score refers to something wrote by a specific composer specificaly for this movie. So when you say "I've got the Spider-Man score" you have the score specificaly written by Elfman, but if you say "I've got the Spider-Man soundtrack" it could be anything.

That's why you have to say "I've got the Spider-Man Original Soundtrack" if you wanna say you've got the Elfman's score.

Hmmm... rather complex, isn't it ? :(

Hellgi

So I've no idea what makes Minority Report so much like The Patriot...

Both are great but not brilliant Williams :(

On my "West Side Story" LP and "Independence Day" CD it reads "Original Soundtrack Recording"...

On my "Far and Away" it reads "Music taken from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (Can't they make it any longer) ...

"Armageddon" is quite Basic: "Armageddon - The Score"

I think there's no defined standard as how to label which kind of soundtrack album, only some loose guidelines... You have to look at the track listings each time to be sure you get that what you want.

-Chris