HP: Prisoner of Azkaban Complete Cue List & Analysis

Jay

Hey all, just thought I'd share a midi I just reconstructed of the "Rescuing Sirius" cue we've been so generously provided with. It took me just under an hour and a half in Sibelius, working entirely from ear. It's not quite a real orchestra, but hey, at least there's no remnants of dialogue. Something to tide me over, at least.

http://www.geocities.com/bogfrank/RescuingSirius.mid

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Until what?  :mrgreen:

We recieve full, chronological editions of HP:POA.

And Indiana Jones 2 & 3 as well.. And Hook. And an unmangled version of SW:TPM. And a re-release of Spacecamp and Witches of Eastwick.

(slightly delusional?)

Until what?  :devil:

We recieve full, chronological editions of HP:POA.

And Indiana Jones 2 & 3 as well.. And Hook. And an unmangled version of SW:TPM. And a re-release of Spacecamp and Witches of Eastwick.

(slightly delusional?)

Slightly. You might be waiting a while, but we'll all be right there with you.

You know,Buckbeak's Theme played on synths is similar to the heroic theme that was in the second trailer,I still wonder if it's something Williams wrote but later changed.

k.M.

Hey all, just thought I'd share a midi I just reconstructed of the "Rescuing Sirius" cue we've been so generously provided with. It took me just under an hour and a half in Sibelius, working entirely from ear. It's not quite a real orchestra, but hey, at least there's no remnants of dialogue. Something to tide me over, at least.

Hey, that's an excellent MIDI. :music:

It seems to me that the flutes in the beginning are playing an octave too low, though...

Funny how many of the unreleased tracks are the ones that have the Peter's Theme statements...a glaring omission from the CD.

JW decides what from the moive makes it to the CD and in what form right? It seems like one of those would have been included, or put together with another cue to at least make it to the CD. I wonder why Williams would leave it out, considering the big plot twist in POA is about Peter??

He left it out on purpose because the harpsichord motif at the beginning of Quiddich 3rd year is not Peter's theme and it should be...

K.M.

He left it out on purpose because the harpsichord motif at the beginning of Quiddich 3rd year is not Peter's theme and it should be...

What is that thing, anyway? I don't remember hearing it in the movie.

With the positive feedback of my little midi, I've been motivated to create a Sirius' Rescue 2.0, fixing some phrasing issues with the first, and adding another...little segment to round it off more satisfactorily (this part took me a little over an hour and a half!).

Some problems may arise in playback from my use of way too many midi channels (normal orchestra plus recorders, harpsichords, two harps, split first violins), but it should still come through fairly well.

http://www.geocities.com/bogfrank/Rescuing...iriusFinale.mid

What is that thing, anyway? I don't remember hearing it in the movie.

I don't know,a completely useless bit of intro music Williams put on the c.d.

K.M.

Yes, I also think it contains a variation of the Sirius motif.

Marian - who originally wrote the contrary, but then realized he'd mixed up the actual beginning of the Quidditch CD track with the Pettigrew motif as heard at the end of the film's credits. LOL

Just wanted to say that I haven't been able to check out falstaft's midis, as they won't play on my work computer for some reason (shrug). I'll definitely check them out when I get home tonight.

Also, King Mark, your mp3 came out good, do you want me to add it the briefcase?

It is Sirius's theme, but there is a an extra note- melodically, the last note. The second to last pitch is what Sirius's Theme would usually end on, but it fools the ears because he makes that pitch a "grace note" to the last one. (see below) The last pitch is a half step down (and it's also the starting pitch). I suppose this beginning quote is to foreshadow Harry seeing the Grim.

Sirius's Theme-(at 1:30 on that cue)- dah-dah-DAAH-DAAH--

at the beginning in the harpsichord- dah-dah-DAAH--dee-DAAH--

This cue just knocks me out. It's complex, involving, and high on difficulty.

It reminds me so much of Shostakovich's 5th- Finale(4th mvmt), especially when the strings take up the melody after the brassy intro (and heaviest at 0:44-0:54). The rhythm (8th-2 16ths three times, then 4 16ths), the intensity, the syncopation, the character of the whole cue. Such great counterpoint.

Which speaking of, it also brings to mind Shark Cage Fugue. This cue is one of my top JW cues now. Also love the "cycling" strings figure at 1:02, and the trumpet/horn call-answer at 2:03-2:13. Just super JW writing, amazing.

The next track (since it's playing now), that plucked strings section is fabulous. bowdown

I have to say that the music seems really chopped up in the movie. Pratically every cue on the CD is shortened, and there are several bits of music on the CD that can't be accounted for in the film. Lots of last-second editing?

OK gang, I've created a new briefcase (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/jwhp3_2) with the following new mp3s:

11 Apparition on the Train (film version with alternate ending)

18 Meeting Buckbeak

26 The Bridge

27 Remembering Lilly

28 The Portrait Gallery (film version, with the "secure the castle" ending)

35-6 Harry's Vow / Spring / Learning the Patronus 1

37 Learning the Patronus 2

38 Dementor Test

39 Learning the Patronus 3

44 Trelawney's Prediction

45 The Executioner

46 Hagrid Talks About Buckbeak

52-53 Harry and Sirius (unreleased) / The Werewolf Scene (alternate film version, with Peter's Theme)

56 Outside Hagrids

57 Saving Buckbeak (just the alternate, film version ending of the "bats" scene)

59 Dementor's Converge Again (film version, first 30 seconds are unreleased)

61-62 Sirius Takes Off / Returning to Ron (second half is unreleased)

Hogsmeade / Winter's Spell (in case anybody wants to try to figure out the lyrics)

There's still some small unreleased bits I didn't bother with because there's nothing too exciting in them.

Everyone who could get into the old briefcase (which is still up) can get into the new one as well. If you can't get into either, just PM me your yahoo id.

Now, some homework:

(1) Did anyone ever figure out the source music that's used in the Boggarts scene?

(2) Listen to these 4 segments:

07 The Knight Bus Part 2 (mp3 0:27-0:39)

12 Apparatition on the Train (CD Track 04 0:02-0:16)

42 Peter Pettigrew (mp3 0:16-0:20)

55 The Dementors Converge (CD Track 19 0:03-0:08)

Notice the same theme plays in all of those segments? Any guesses as to what the theme represents? At first I thought it was a dementor's theme, since I first only noticed it on the cd trackst. Then when I realized it was in those 2 unreleased cues as well, I realized it wasn't just for dementors. Could it be just a generic "danger theme"? Also, what instrument is that playing it?

(3) Can someone who is more musically inclined than me verify that the following are all the SAME theme (usually called Sirius's Theme):

07 The Knight But part 2 (mp3 0:24 or CD Track 03 2:11)

21 Sirius Black Sighting (mp3 0:05, 0:09, 0:17, 0:20, 0:22)

32 Quidditch, Third Year (CD Track 13 1:30, 1:35)

50 Finding Ron (mp3 0:45)

Also, what about the 4-note theme that plays over and over again in these segments:

09 Mr. Weasley's Warning (mp3 0:02-0:50)

33 Honeydukes / The Shrieking Shack (mp3 0:06-0:23, 0:48-0:54)

Is that theme the same as Sirius's Theme? Or is it just a thematic element used to go under Peter's theme in those two cues?

Also, what about this infamous segment:

unknown (CD Track 13 0:00-0:12)

Is that also Sirius's Theme?

Thanks for listening!

Jason, idk how you do this exactly, but here's my yahoo Id: bob_intl_manofmystery660 so yeah... if you could send me the file or whatever you do, thatd be great.

All set jamesie

I've just uploaded a new file to the second briefcase:

Rescuing Sirius (no dialogue)

Provided to me by King Mark

Jason thanks for all the files. Now I can't wait till the DVD comes out. It's over month I saw the movie and I had forgotten what the music what used for in some parts.

It is really a pity that the Pettigrew motif didn't make it into the CD. I hope someday a complete edition of this score comes out, but I can't see it happening. Unless it gets and Oscar nomination, I don't think they will even think about it. And although I prefer PoA, I think it will be The Terminal that gets nominated. A pity.

Has anyone tried to make a CD with the cues in order? I'm thinking of doing it. Is it really posible with the music from the album, or it gets weird when you cut the tracks?

Well, I'd like to ask you a favour Jason, or someone who got the source music from the Boggart scene when Jason uploaded it. Could someone upload it again? I was too late and I was not able to download it.

Thanks in advance.

Besides, you forgot to upload La Cumparsita

:roll:

I can address your second question, Jason. There is a "danger motif" that appears in all those cues, I noticed it last time I saw the movie a few weeks ago. I think I remember hearing it somewhere else too, but I'm not sure. But you're right, there is definately a recurring motif there.

Wow, Jason, there seems to be an endless supply of unreleased music.

Any chance of the missing end credits music finding its way into your briefcase?

Williams will be performing Double Trouble as on of the PoA pieces at the Hollywood bowl,that means it can't be the 2 minute chorus version on the album,it means a brand new 3-4 minute orchestral arrangement

arrrrgh!

K.M.

Hey Jason, I downloaded a couple of your newest files the other day with no problems, but I tried again tonight and it's going so slow that the countdown is over 15 minutes for a single file to download. For reference, I tried a couple from the first briefcase again and they transfer fine. Any ideas on what's going on with the new ones?

Ray Barnsbury

CD Track 13 0:00-0:12 Definitely Sirius's theme. See my above post on this page. In this section the second to last note is the typical Sirius Theme ending note. But JW mixes it up a little and has that as a grace note, if you will, for the last note in this snippet, which is just a half step down.

Any chance of the autumn-spring transition? It's the past theme at a counterpoint with Hedwig's Theme and it's really brilliant.

Well first of all, autumn doesn't transition into spring, theres something called winter in between there :P

Anyway, The winter->spring transition is in the second briefcase (tracks 35-36). However, the transition with the Past/Hedwig counterpoint was the fall->winter transition, which is in the first briefcase (track 32).

CD Track 13 0:00-0:12   Definitely Sirius's theme.  See my above post on this page. In this section the second to last note is the typical Sirius Theme ending note.  But JW mixes it up a little and has that as a grace note, if you will, for the last note in this snippet, which is just a half step down.

Got it, thanks. I still don't know what that music is supposed to underscore, if you listen to the "Draco's Note" mp3 you can see that that is the real beginning of the cue. I'm beginning to think that this is just something he recorded for the cd.

Sorry guys, I have no idea why the second briefcase wouldn't be working...

Also, I'll be uploading the missing end credits music later on tonight.

All set ridan.

Everyone: The missing end credits music has been added to the second briefcase. Thanks to King Mark for providing me with the file (as well as the Rescuing Sirius - No Dialogue file).

That last unreleased bit is really good. I decided to edit it into Mischief Managed!. First, I realized that the clip sounded too high, so I figured that it was because of PAL speed up. So I did the math and figured out the exact amount to slow it down. Sure enough, it worked like a charm. Then I just did some fading and added it in where it goes (around 30 seconds in). Unfortunately, the change in sound quality is pretty apparent. Oh well, the DVD will be here before too long. :devil:

Yea I also tried editing it into the album track, but with the volume, pitch and sound quality changes, it just didn't sound good at all and I gave up. Luckily, it will be a piece of cake to rip the entire end credits from the dvd :devil:

The clip is great...kind of ironic, though - the transition between Hedwig's Theme and Double Trouble is still jolting to me, because now Double Trouble comes in too quickly.

• 3 months later...

New discovery:

"Gryffindor Dormitory" is not a cue at all! Its simply the ending of "Dumbledore's Speech" again. Perhaps Williams did write an original cue for this scene, but all we get in the movie is tracked music.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

For the album, Williams created a suite that runs about 2 minutes (It comes after the "Monster Book of Monsters" cue in track #12, so it plays from [0:28-end] (1:57)). The suite contains 4 parts that are in a different order than the scenes in the film, is missing 14 seconds of music from the very beginning of the sequence, but includes some music that is replaced by source music in the film.  

The 4 cues in this sequence are:  

22. Neville's Boggart 0:41  

The first 14 seconds of this cue are not included in the suite on the album, but the rest play from [1:58-end] (0:27). Those 27 seconds are shortened to 0:20 in the film.  

23. Ron's Boggart 0:25  

This cue is in the suite from [0:42-1:07]. The last 9 seconds are replaced by source music in the film.  

24. Parvati's Boggart 0:14  

This cue is in the suite from [0:28-0:42].  

25. Harry's and Lupin's Boggarts 0:51  

This cue is in the suite from [1:07-1:58]. The first 14 and last 22 seconds are replaced by source music in the film.  

Actually, I think that Harry's Boggart cues runs till 1:45.

Then, the cue Neville's boggart starts I think, with the first 14 seconds being an alternate for Snape coming out. (The film version is unreleased.)

• 3 months later...
Bump.

Actually, I think that Harry's Boggart cues runs till 1:45.

Then, the cue Neville's boggart starts I think, with the first 14 seconds being an alternate for Snape coming out. (The film version is unreleased.)

Hey, I think you're right!