Who's going to Tanglewood???

Foxfan

I think we should all go for the morning of July 31st:

Open Rehearsal of John Williams with the BSO performing "Soundings", "Horn Concerto", and "American Journey".

Open rehearsals are only $16 and there's no reserved seating. If you show up early you can be sitting almost next to Williams. Plus we might get to hear them perform stuff more than once.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd bring this thread back since the Tanglewood concerts are approaching.

My boss has agreed to give me the day off on the 31st so I'll be able to go down for the rehearsal. pheew.

I want to know if any of the members that came to Boston (or any other members) are planning to attend as well.

This might be the only chance we'll ever have to see Williams rehearse with an orchestra in person.

I just thought I'd bring this thread back since the Tanglewood concerts are approaching.

My boss has agreed to give me the day off on the 31st so I'll be able to go down for the rehearsal. pheew.

I want to know if any of the members that came to Boston (or any other members) are planning to attend as well.

This might be the only chance we'll ever have to see Williams rehearse with an orchestra in person.

I'm thinking about going now. What are the arrangements one might make to maximize the probability of getting an autograph signing?

To answer Diskolobus' question, I would say:

Arrive there early to get a seat next to Williams and if he decides to take a break, get up and request it.

I'm thinking of leaving near 3:00am to arrive there near 7:00. The concert is at 10:30am but there is a pre-hearsal talk I think at 9:30. I just hope this will be early enough...

To answer Diskolobus' question, I would say:

Arrive there early to get a seat next to Williams and if he decides to take a break, get up and request it.

You're not kidding?

I was at an open rehearsal in 2002, but it was in the Shed, not the Hall, so I don't know how helpful this description will be. I imagine that all his rehearsals are similar in structure, though. Williams ran the rehearsal like a regular rehearsal - stopping and starting (but not much). They all took a break in the middle, but Williams waved and disappeared backstage as soon as the break began. He changed clothes at the break, ran the 2nd half of the rehearsal, and then disappeared backstage as soon as the rehearsal was over. There were a few people standing around the backstage entrance to the Shed with Signature Edition scores and things, looking hopeful that he might appear, for much of the afternoon (it was a morning rehearsal before an evening concert), but I saw a lot of them give up so I don't think that way will work either. However, I don't know what the procedure is at Ozawa Hall.

I don't know if it'll work to sit up front and try to snag him for an autograph as he disappears. Do get there early so you can sit up close and hear what he's saying, though! You might have better luck finding out how to get backstage, especially after the concert (if you're going to the concert) - maybe just call the office and ask? Or camp out near where his car will pull away - he's got to get in the car. :devil:

The open rehearsal I saw (and the concert too, of course) was a joy - something I'll tell my grandchildren about someday! We are really fortunate to live in the era where we can see Williams do this. I'm jealous of all of you that are going!

:music:"Anakin's Theme" - Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

There were millions of people taking pictures (myself included) during the rehearsal when I was there, both with and without flash. So that should be fine. I don't know what the rules are for Ozawa Hall, but I can't imagine anyone making a fuss about flash-less pictures during any rehearsal, anywhere. During the concert, if you're going to take pictures, make sure you keep your flash off. There'll be more than enough light for your picture to turn out. People tend to be more fussy about photos during concerts in Halls than in Sheds or Tents or other partially-open enclosures. There were many people taking pictures - with flashes, regrettably - during the K. Shed concert I attended. I took a few (flash off!) and they came out great.

I have seen Williams conduct at Tanglewood twice, and he has not signed autographs after either concert. If the concert and rehearsal is in the shed, the backstage is best accessible to the right of the shed. The artist entrance is there and that has been where the autograph line has been.

Tanglewood is a beautiful place. Enjoy it!

I can't be there :cry:

Can someone make somekind of a documentary?

I know, but dreams are allowed.....

Nemesis - who would love to be there :mrgreen:

:mrgreen::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I had thought about going just to hear the Horn Concerto again, but couldn't fit it into my schedule.

I hope everyone attending the concert has a great time, that you get to meet JW, and that you will share your thoughts about the experience with us. :)

Kathy, very happy now!