Should Williams end his collaboration with Spielberg?

King Mark

Should Williams dump spielberg  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

So Spielberg is into his light comedy/chick flick phase,and next come another historical drama,right when Episode 3 or Goblet of Fire is going to be released.Williams serious,artsy scores have one thing in common for me,they are dust gatherers,do we need another one?

Are Williams twilight years beeing wasted on such collaborations

K.M.Who wasn't too impressed by The Terminal(the movie,that is)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

They both tend to bring out the best in each other. I wish JW would work with some other directors, but he shouldn't leave Spielberg.

Kendal_Ozzel, who was impressed with the Terminal.

I have no problem with Speilberg.

The world doesn't consist of only Indiana Jones, Jaws, Star Wars or Harry Potter.

NO. Definitely NOT. Their collaboration is the best nowadays (yeah, even better than Shyamalan/JNH, Burton/Elfman, Zemeckis/Silvestri, Scott/Zimmer, Kitano/Hisaishi, etc.). Haven't listened to The Terminal yet, but you must consider that A FILM or SCORE DOESN'T NEED TO BE IMPRESSIVE TO BE GOOD.

In fact, he still innovates in this "small" projects. They are not a barrier for his progressive career.

well I consider Terminal a very weak film, not as bad as Hook, Always, or AI, but definitely in Steven's lower eschelon of films, but

in response to KM's poll, not no but HELL NO.

Steven Spielberg and John Williams are a unit. Terminal isn't my favorite score but it works well with the film.

I cannot imagine a world without the two together.

Overall I say no. But he should be willing to reconsider when a Cos/CMIYC like conflict ever arises again. He did both the CoS filmmakers and his fans a great disservice by giving priority to a film that really did not need him over an HP film, even if it was Spielberg. But before the flaming begins, let me say (as I have before) that I do understand his decision. I just don't agree with it.

Ahem, you call The Terminal arty, Mark? Well, I'll be damned! Just when I thought I heard them all!

---------------

Alex Cremers

What the?

NO. Definitely NOT. Their collaboration is the best nowadays

Of course not! It's not only nowadays the best collaboration by the way, in my opinion. I'm very glad that he gave priority to Spielberg for Catch Me if You Can, and I hope he continues to do so in the future. His Spielberg scores are generally the best and most refreshing of his scores.

Williams shouldn't be restricted to those larger-than-life scores, you know...

Ahem, you call The Terminal arty, Mark? Well, I'll be damned! Just when I thought I heard them all!

---------------

Alex Cremers

King Mark needs to watch more european films!!!

As for your questions, this "Arty" films and scores are the ones that will never grow dust on them!

Spielberg is all washed up man.

Been that man ever since he did that black and white film were all those people were shot.

And that wasn't even cool because it was black and white.

Williams should work with people like Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay instead of that has-been Spielberg.

I hear Media Ventures is looking for new people, maybe he can work with Hans Zimmer?

I hear Media Ventures is looking for new people, maybe he can work with Hans Zimmer?

Definetly. Wasting his time in Catch Me if you Can or The Terminal when he could have done Pirates of the Caribbean...

King Mark, you don't like this avatar? I know it's not mine, I choose from this site...on my hard disk I don't have a less than 8kb pic.

If you have some Indy pic or some JW pic similar to this avatar, send me by e-mail!!

reggianimirko@libero.it

This is the dumbest poll yet. C'mon folks, this duo has been responsible for some of the greatest (and most popular) cinematic works of our time.

After reading some of these comments in this post, I weep for the future. Williams should have done Pirates of thew Caribbean over The Terminal? How old are people on this board anyhow? Do they suffer from ADD or some deficiency like that? I hope Williams STOPS composing so many bloody scores for mindless popular drivel. The Terminal obviously appeals to people who are past puberty and that's about it.

Having written underscore for dramatic and comedic films, I'll tell you it's a helluva lot harder than writing bombast in those summer blockbusters. And Williams does this so well, along with Tom Newman, amoung others.

Look at what happened to Goldsmith after scoring so many shitty films in the '70's, '80's, and '90's. The poor guys gets a gem like LA Confidential or The Edge once in a blue moon and is reconciled to scoring shit like Leviathan, or Looney Tunes or whatever. Too bad Frank Shaffner died because he was one of the few collaborators that Goldsmith really produced excellent score with.

I've always thought Spielberg's work seems to have more layers than a lot of directors. The stories are interesting and accessible the first time you see them, but on second and third viewings, there's a deeper craftmenship that becomes obvious.

And it is obvious from his complimentary liner notes on JW scores that he holds him in and his music in high regard. For a film composer that's got to mean a lot right there.

(IMO, somebody should tattoo that last principle on to Lucas's freaky little forehead.)

"Should Williams end his collaboration with Spielberg?"

Three words: Are you insane? I dread the inevitable end of their collaboration that's beyond their choice (Williams passing). Until then, we should continue to cherish and celebrate one of the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

"Should Williams end his collaboration with Spielberg?"

Three words: Are you insane? I dread the inevitable end of their collaboration that's beyond their choice (Williams passing). Until then, we should continue to cherish and celebrate one of the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

This isn't one of the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

This IS the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

dread the inevitable end of their collaboration that's beyond their choice (Williams passing).  

Steven, you assume it will be John who goes first, but you never know, it could be Spielberg who goes first.

btw, I wonder who the 3 dumbasses are who voted yes.

This isn't one of the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

This IS the most incredible partnerships in film ever.

You're preaching to the choir on that, but I left it open out of respect to those who might not agree (Hitchcock and Herrmann's collaboration certainly has its fans...). IMHO, it just doesn't get better than Spielberg/Williams, and to ask a question like this poll is pure blasphemy :)

Steven, you assume it will be John who goes first, but you never know, it could be Spielberg who goes first.

I thought of that, Joe, but the odds are obviously against it, all things sadly considered (people like Spielberg, Williams and Walt Disney (to name a few) should be eternals so they can continue to give their unique gifts to the world, as long as they want to?death be damned!)

btw, I wonder who the 3 dumbasses are who voted yes.

I was wondering the same thing. If I were the kind of guy to promote mob violence, I'd suggest we take the vile trio out back and kick the [blank] outta 'em! :)

Williams and Spielberg should stick together til the end. If you're talking about Williams' twilight years going to waste, he should stop doing film music, unless it's a Steven Spielberg film.

You're singing to the choir on that, but I left . . .

Actually, I think it's "preaching to the choir"

Singing to the choir . . . of all the crazy . . .

After reading some of these comments in this post, I weep for the future.  Williams should have done Pirates of thew Caribbean over The Terminal?  How old are people on this board anyhow?  Do they suffer from ADD or some deficiency like that?

No, but apparently there are some here who can't grasp sarcasm.

Neil

It's gonna be weird (to put it very mildly) to see Spielberg's first movie after John has died. What if he finished the score to that movie before he died? I don't think I'll be holding it together if I went to see it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think Spielberg has always brought out some of Williams' best work *key word some, not all*. Hook, in which I was like... 2 yrs old when it came out, is a movie I've grown up with, therefore, I liked and still love it.... In my opinion, John's best work was in that movie... Then there's ET, JAWS, Close Encounters... Those are amazing scores, and while John W. hasn't come out with any outstanding Spielberg scores within the last few years, they need to stick together for future collaborations that would result in some of great style of music Williams showed in earlier years. I have perfect confidence they will stick together for a loooong time to come.

You're singing to the choir on that, but I left . . .

Actually, I think it's "preaching to the choir"

Singing to the choir . . . of all the crazy . . .

Whoops. Noted and corrected. I honestly know the phrase, my mind must have just slipped up. It's a pain trying to write with screaming kids over your shoulder! :)

So,we have about 3 threads in which we discussed The Terminal score,and only a few people have commented on it in detail.Where's the detailed reviews,where's the Favourite Track poll,where's the Track by Track Analysis,where's the Thematic Analysis ,where's the Movie Cue/Unreleased Music Rundown...anyways,for all of you who seem to like this type of score better than yet another new Harry Potter or Adventure score,I fail to see the excitement this has created compared to the week PoA came out.On the other hand if Williams had scored Spiderman 2,we'd have about 20 threads about it.

K.M.

Let the collaboration continue until one or both decides to hang it up for good.

I'm more concerned if Spielberg continues to direct in his post-Williams phase. Spielberg seems to have a liking for Hans Zimmer (a composer I have very little respect for -- he dissed Spartacus for one thing!). And I think Horner said something like he felt like a princess in waiting on the prospects of working with Spielberg in the future. After all, he did write scores for Spielberg-related projects in the past.

I don't know if Spielberg is an admirer of Zimmer (haven't read anything to the effect) so much as that Zimmer is in charge of DreamWorks' film music division. Certainly Spielberg had a big say in Zimmer's hiring for that post, but that doesn't imply he'd use the composer for his films.

My answer is no, but sadly Williams' scores for Spielberg in recent years are not anywhere near the top of my list. Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, The Terminal, and A.I. are all very good scores, with varying levels and moments of "listenability," but they're just not my favorites. On the other hand, many of my favorite Williams scores, Far and Away, Home Alone, the Harry Potter scores, ESB, etc are not Spielberg. So for me, a score being a "Spielberg score" doesn't automatically make it better than the rest. And given another CoS/CMIYC situation, I'd MUCH rather JW's attention be focused on GoF, if a choice had to be made. However, War of the Worlds does seem to have great potential.

Ray Barnsbury

In no way, shape, or form. All the scores are perfect, I don't know what more could ask from a composer/ director collaboration.

When the collaboration does eventually end, for whatever reason, we will all be sad.

Appreciate the Spielberg/Williams relationship today, because the two will not be working together forever.

Jeff

Appreciate the Spielberg/Williams relationship today, for it is surely the greatest director/composer collaboration in the history of film.

Appreciate the Spielberg/Williams relationship today, for it is surely the greatest director/composer collaboration in the history of film.

Let me shake your hand!

Let's not forget that their collaboration produced Williams' best work: Jaws, CE3K, E.T., Empire of the Sun.

----------------

Alex Cremers

(!!!Fans of Hans Zimmer's music are strongly advised against reading the following post!!!)

I hope Spielberg won't decide to collaborate with Zimmer in the future. I have also never heard or read of any hints that would suggest that Spielberg has a "hidden" liking for Zimmer's scores.

I mean, even to the untrained ear, Zimmer's scores do all sound practically the same, hardly innovative or evocative beyond the service for the particular scene in a film. He writes the loudest synthesized stuff I have heard and even if he occasionally lets the "living" orchestra perform it, it still sounds synthetic (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down,...). I presume Zimmer would have made a better living writing pop or techno music as he can write catchy themes, perhaps they could be a good team with Moby, of whom Zimmer's music reminds me the most.

I can see he's very popular with young moviegoers and I would understand it, but in my humble opinion Zimmer isn't THE Composer to replace anyone currently working in film industry. And because it all comes down to tastes, I'll rather stick with saying that he doesn't represent the composing techniques I like to here in movies.

The stuff he wrote that sounds quite good is a copycat off classical pieces and his "own" unique sound is like an overture to a techno party frenzy.

I can't understand what would it be Spielberg would have liked about Hans Zimmer's music. Williams' is his exact opposite in any thinkable angle so I think Steven was just joking suppose he'd ever mentioned Zimmer as is future collaborator.

Even the composers who write music I don't listen to usually spice up the world with something of some kind of interesting, but not so much is this the case with Zimmer, though.

Should they end the collaboration? No! Why fix something that's not broken?

SeekUYoda, who saw The Terminal this weekend and really liked it!

I hope Spielberg won't decide to collaborate with Zimmer in the future. I have also never heard or read of any hints that would suggest that Spielberg has a "hidden" liking for Zimmer's scores.

It's a pretty wellknown fact that Spielberg was/is a great fan of Zimmer, I think he loved the score for Crimson Tide.

Also Zimmer is the head of the music dept. at Dreamworks which is co-owned and founded by Spielberg.

And Zimmer scored the first Dreamworks film, The Peacemaker.

This is ludicrous. If Williams stoped working with Spielberg, what else would there be for him to do?

The answer: the kind of "arty" films King Mark presumably refers to. Williams has the sense to know that something like "King Arthur" might not be up his alley, nor would "I, Robot." But then again, what do I know? He might have been offered those films and turned them down because he was busy with "Harry Potter" and "Terminal."

Jeff