Rosewood and Home Alone. Worth it?

stewdog1

I was at a used CD store today and picked up Harry Potter and FOTR for only US 8.99 each.

They also had Rosewood and Home Alone at 2.99 and 4.99 respectively. I decided not to pick them up yet, because I wanted to see what you all thought about these two scores. The price is cheap, so it won't hurt me too bad if I don't like it.

I also saw the scores to The Arrival and A Few Good Men. I really enjoyed both of these movies when I first saw them and remember The Arrival being decent. Does anyone know anything about these scores and if they are any good.

Thanks,

stewdog1 - :devil: Vangelis: Heaven and Hell

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness, at that price, get them, run, hurry, go get them.

I cannot speak for Rosewood, since I have never bought it, but Home Alone is my absolute favorite Christmas cd. It everything a Christmas cd should be and more, plus it features Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas sung beautifully by the late Mel Torme.

Definatly get Home Alone, one of my favorite soundtracks.

It's a great Christmas soundtrack- and I'm Jewish.

Definatly get Home Alone, one of my favorite soundtracks.  

It's a great Christmas soundtrack- and I'm Jewish.

"Home Alone" is superb! "Somewhere In My Memory" song is alone worth the full price of the CD. And those wonderful French-horn parts! Or, if you like Nutcracker, you will like Home Alone no less. I love this score extremely!

"Rosewood" is one of those more spiritual, yet seriously attempted works. It stands right next to my most favorite ones by Johnny's entire oeuvre, right next to Schindler's List, Angela's Ashes, Saving pvt. Ryan and Seven Years in Tibet.

Buy both if you haven't yet! Moreover, Home Alone seems to be getting out of print where I live (Epic Records print), so it could be a collectible item "tomorrow".

You've already heard from everyone else, but you would be out of your mind not to pick these up. A Few Good Men is a terrible score, by the way (IMHO). Cheers!

Thanks all. I knew Home Alone was going to get rave reviews. Anyone else with an opinion of Rosewood?

I'm going to try my best and pick them up tonight after work. I knew I should have picked at least Home Alone up yesterday. It should still be there, though.

What if either of them is sold by the hour you get there? I can tell from my own experience that items having long been collecting dust in the shelves have usually disappeared from there the minute before I decided to pick them up. :?

Good luck! In the evening, listen first to Rosewood. It can put you in a great mood... it's quite an untypical achievement by Williams, very welcomed though.

Rosewood is Williams' most underrated piece of work. A fantastic score to an equally fantastic film. I think if the film had been well-received, the score would have been nominated for an Oscar.

The gospel songs are all written by Williams, sung a capella. The orchestrations are some of the best I have heard from him, and the music has never been touched on since.

Oh yeah, Home Alone is awesome. But you already knew that. :sarcasm:

Rosewood is Williams' most underrated piece of work.

Oh yes! An absolute masterpiece. Not exactly Williams best score, but still his best one in a way. He's never really done anything else like it. The music is great, the performances (guitar!) are great, and the sound (HDCD) is plain fantastic.

Marian - who also loves Home Alone and also likes the sequel score even better.

Home Alone is right now rare and a collectible item.

Get it if you can !

Really? I see it everytime I go to my local cd store. Anyway, I love Home Alone, and I listen to it year round.

-Jason

I think I'll be unique and say how good Home Alone is. :)

It's a great soundtrack, and the actual "songs" are wonderful too, they add to the overall Christmas experience of it. Somewhere in my Memory and Star of Bethlehem are fantastic themes.

Ray Barnsbury

I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't live in the United States because you all have hard times coming up with John Williams music. I'm glad it is readily (well, somewhat) available here.

~Harry

Home Alone is OOP and quite rare. Around Christmastime, goes for a small fortune on ebay. It's a damn good score. Especially a fun listen during the holidays. Get it. And if Home Alone 2 is there, get it too. That one may be even better.

Rosewood is good too. Get 'em both, ESPECIALLY at that price!!! :)

Oh yeah, they also had Home Alone 3. I don't think I want that one.

Didn't get a chance to pick it up after work today. But I will definetly have time at lunch tomorrow. I really hope it is still there. I'll let you all know for sure.

Thanks for all the input. I knew Home Alone was good, but not sure of Rosewood. I had seen a few reviews of Rosewood, and none were too good. But I trust your opinions more when it comes to JW. That's why I brought it up to all of you.

later,

stewdog

p.s. wish me luck that it is still there.

For a while, Rosewood and Seven Years in Tibet were widely considered Williams's two finest achievements of 1997. Since then, there's been a revival of sorts, it seems, of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Amistad, and increasingly, people seem to embrace the two Spielberg scores as the superior of the four.

I think this just goes to show the greatness of 1997 in Williams's career. In my book, unless Catch Me If You Can somehow ends up being the most brilliant masterwork of Williams's career, 2002 won't come close to matching what Williams accomplished in 1997. Every score in '97 was fresh and had its own character; sadly, the same can't be said of 2002.

For a while, Rosewood and Seven Years in Tibet were widely considered Williams's two finest achievements of 1997.  Since then, there's been a revival of sorts, it seems, of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Amistad, and increasingly, people seem to embrace the two Spielberg scores as the superior of the four.

I think this just goes to show the greatness of 1997 in Williams's career.  In my book, unless Catch Me If You Can somehow ends up being the most brilliant masterwork of Williams's career, 2002 won't come close to matching what Williams accomplished in 1997.  Every score in '97 was fresh and had its own character; sadly, the same can't be said of 2002.

In your opinion, of course. I'd say that so far, 2002 matches... no... eclipses 1997.

Of those scores, The Lost World is the only one I ever listen to on a regular basis because it's one of my all-time favorites. In the mid-to-late nineties after Schindler's List, I thought that John Williams was slipping until he gave us The Lost World and The Phantom Menace. Follow that up with A.I., Potter, Attack Of The Clones, and now Minority Report (which I'm starting to like more and more as it sinks in), I'd dare say he's just as good as he's ever been.

Well... I'm glad that somebody liked that streak of scores between Schindler's List and The Phantom Menace (besides The Lost World, of course), because I was extremely disappointed.