Favorite Harry Potter Theme

Henry B

Favorite Harry Potter Theme  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• Quidditch Fanfare
    • Nimbus 2000/Flying Theme/Mischief Theme
    • Harry's Theme/Friends Theme (Part A of "Harry's Wondrous World")
    • Family Theme (Part B of "Harry's Wondrous World")
    • Hogwarts Forever!/Gryffindor Theme
    • Entry into the Great Hall/Hogwarts Theme
    • Sorceror's Stone Motif/Evil Motif
    • Voldemort's Theme
    • You-Know-Who's Theme
    • Fawkes the Phoenix
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • Gilderoy Lockhart
    • The Spiders
    • Moaning Myrtle
    • Dobby the House Elf
    • Double Trouble
    • Buckbeak's Theme
    • A Window to the Past
    • Peter Pettigrew's Motif
    • Sirius Black's Motif
    • Hogwarts Fanfare from Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Danger Motif from Prisoner of Azkaban (?)
    • Hedwig's Theme

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of the Flying Theme in Quiddich is 'cause they're flying, Marian.  :P

I don't insist on calling it a Slytherin theme, but I yet have to counter your argument: It's also used in the zoo sequence, and noone is flying there. ;)

I was referring to your comment about the Flying theme maybe being related to the Gryffindor theme because of its appearance in Quiddich scenes. Whereas its obvious its used in Quiddich scenes 'cause they're flying. That's all. 8O

And I think few JW themes have been used so diversely as the Flying theme. He really took advatage of its adaptability. Its comic statements in Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle and Polyjuice Poition are two of my favorite uses of it.

And I'm with most everyone here, I was disappointed in the lack of Harry's Theme and Volemort's Themes in PoA. But Voldemort has no role, so that makes sense. And since the story is so concerned with Harry's past and parents, the replacement of Harry's Theme with the Past Theme makes sense. I was hoping for a reappearance of Harry's Theme in GoF, and the return of Voldemort's Themes was inevitable given the story. Until a few days ago, anyway... :(

It's also the one that features prominently when Harry stands in the center of the Quidditch field after having caught the Snitch.  

Yes, and the one right before Hedwig changes the season, and played triumphantly when Gryffindor wins the House Cup, and used much more in CoS.

And regarding the use of Hedwig's Theme in PoA, in addition to being used in the opening sequence, it also appears as the students sleep in the Great Hall, when Hedwig changes the season again, very subtly as Sirius and Harry talk before Lupin's transformation, and of course the huge statement that opens the end credits. It's also on the CD when the lone leaf falls from the Whomping Willow, but this was taken out of the film. Still, it's obviously used a lot les than previously.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't insist on calling it a Slytherin theme, but I yet have to counter your argument: It's also used in the zoo sequence, and noone is flying there.

That's why it's also the Mischief Theme. :)

The first thing played in "Harry's Wondrous World" is the B section of Hedwig's Theme.....

Yeah, but that's just an introduction. By "first" I meant the concert arrangement of the theme played after this intro.

I still don't think Voldemort's and You Know who's theme are different themes, just different sections of the same theme (even though each section has its own connotation).

My vote wento for this time. I love the rendition in the Dark Forest...kinda makes you wonder how the theme would sound like at the end of GOF.

I still don't think Voldemort's and You Know who's theme are different themes, just different sections of the same theme (even though each section has its own connotation).

Me too.

K.M.

Nimbus 2000,Flying Theme, same thing. I was just using the name most people use for it.

Yea. I think people started calling it that because Williams wrote a concert arrangement around the theme that he titled "Nimbus 2000". Its always been the Flying Theme to me.

Actually the "Flying Theme" was meant to refer to the second theme of the Nimbus 2000 theme. It appears in Mr. Longbottom flies and in Hedwig's Theme. For example in Hedwig's Theme:

- Nimbus 2000 theme from 1:35-2:46

- Flying Theme from 2:47-3:12 and 3:25-3:46

Yea.  I think people started calling it that because Williams wrote a concert arrangement around the theme that he titled "Nimbus 2000".  Its always been the Flying Theme to me.

Actually the "Flying Theme" was meant to refer to the second theme of the Nimbus 2000 theme. It appears in Mr. Longbottom flies and in Hedwig's Theme. For example in Hedwig's Theme:

- Nimbus 2000 theme from 1:35-2:46

- Flying Theme from 2:47-3:12 and 3:25-3:46

Those are A and B sections of the same theme, at least I've always thought so.

And on the subject of Voldemort's Themes, they definately do have similarities. Much moreso than the main and secondary themes for Capt. Hook, for example, as they have the same purpose. They are different enough to me to call them two seperate, but related, themes.