The Chronological Film Score Thread

fommes

Tommy: In my own experience, two things that don't always translate well -- both on the internet, and across language/culture-barriers -- are good-natured humor and friendly advice. In graduate school, I wound up accidentally offending my Greek friends all the time. You appear to have taken Neil's initial post personally, which I'm sure it was not meant to be. Now everyone is acting a little snarky. My advice: shrug and move on.

As to your question, a quick visit to www.soundtrackcollector.com reveals that your Tracklist #2 is identical to the original LP sequencing. Based on the fact that LPs (OSTs in general, but especially LPs, which have two sides and therefore two beginnings/ends to arrange) are frequently out-of-order, along with my hazy memory of the film, and I would bet that Tracklist #1 is the film-accurate one.

The music for Jaws 3 (aka Jaws 3-D) is surprisingly not-bad, it's just not in the same league as Williams' originals. I do have a copy, and I pull it out from time to time.

Ok ok...no problem...I don't care of the tracklist anymore! :)  

I just put the two scores into 1 CD, choosing the fist tracklist and whatever, it's just fine that way.  :P  

Thanks anyway for the big help.  :P

JoeinAr, these scores are everything but banal. And I don't need your comments about that, ok? Thanks!  :thumbup:

sorry TommyJ, but you'll get them anyways, ok, Thanks.

Tommy: In my own experience, two things that don't always translate well -- both on the internet, and across language/culture-barriers -- are good-natured humor and friendly advice. In graduate school, I wound up accidentally offending my Greek friends all the time. You appear to have taken Neil's initial post personally, which I'm sure it was not meant to be. Now everyone is acting a little snarky. My advice: shrug and move on.

Yeah, with my last reply I moved on... :P

As to your question, a quick visit to www.soundtrackcollector.com reveals that your Tracklist #2 is identical to the original LP sequencing. Based on the fact that LPs (OSTs in general, but especially LPs, which have two sides and therefore two beginnings/ends to arrange) are frequently out-of-order, along with my hazy memory of the film, and I would bet that Tracklist #1 is the film-accurate one.

Thanks! So I think I've burned the CD in the correct order then! :thumbup:

Mirko

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for the chronological order of The Polar Express. I know the order of the promo (See the Alan-Silvestri forum), but I'd like to know how to integrate the songs from the soundtrack album in between the promo score.

Thanks!

I see the link only directs you to the forum. The list is in the thread "The Polar Express - Promotional Release", page 4:

Good news and bad news on the Polar Express promo...

First the good news: I have spent some time with this outstanding disc, and have been able to identify the untitled tracks as follows:

track 1: BELIEVE / DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS? / APPROACHING FLAT TOP TUNNEL (5:02)

-The first minute or so of this track is a slow and majestic rendition of the "Believe" theme, while the remainder of the track is from the sequence in which the boy first encounters the hobo on top of the train

track 2: RUNAWAY TRAIN / ON THE ICE / TICKET PUNCH / SAVED BY AN ANGEL? (4:49)

-The first part of this track is from th sequence in which the hero boy and girl drive the train, and manage to apply the brakes just before hitting the Caribou. The rest of this track plays during the ice sequence and its immediate aftermath

track 3: BOARDING THE TRAIN / THE RIDE HOME (8:45)

-This comes from the end of the film, as the children return home from the North Pole. Unfortunately, the track ends just before the instrumental rendition of "Spirit of the Season" that plays during the Christmas morning sequence

track 4: RETURNING THE LOST TICKET (2:11)

-From early in the film, this is heard as the boy attempts to return the girl's lost ticket, and climbs on top of the train

track 5: MEETING SANTA CLAUS (6:14)

-The children meet Santa Claus, who selects the hero boy to receive a special gift

Now the BAD news:

There is A LOT of music not released on either the commercial cd or the promo. If you chop off the first 1:30 of SEEING IS BELIEVING from the commercial cd, which is taken from track 1 of the promo, you are left with SANTA LIFTS OFF. The SUITE FROM THE POLAR EXPRESS is heard during the end credits.

So here is the correct sequence of the score tracks from the promo and commercial release:

1 RETURNING THE LOST TICKET

2 BELIEVE/DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS?/APPROACHING FLAT TOP TUNNEL

3 RUNAWAY TRAIN/ON THE ICE/TICKET PUNCH/SAVED BY AN ANGEL?

4 MEETING SANTA CLAUS

5 SANTA LIFTS OFF

6 BOARDING THE TRAIN/THE RIDE HOME

7 SUITE FROM THE POLAR EXPRESS

Of course, you can place the songs where they occur in the film, if you want. Keep in mind that the album version of the "Polar Express" song is used in the end titles and not in the film itself.

There is so much more music in the film that remains unreleased... for now.

Enjoy!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few I was wondering about if anyone has any idea, please let me know. :P

I recently found a site that had the chrono order of U-571 and The Village listed. Here it is:

U-571

Opening/U-571 Attacks

Pier Intro

Material Office

S-33 Leaves Port

Enigma Photo/Swastika

Lock and Load

Taking the U-571

Searching Below

S-33 Sinks

Sub Battle

Picking Up Survivors

Restarting the U-571

Destroyer Battle

Tyler's Torpedo Plan

Going to 200 Meters

Big Leaks

Tyler Picks Trigger

U-571 Rises/Trigger Struggles

U-571 Surfaces

Chase

Finale and Dedication

End Credits #1

Quiet Theme (End Credits #2)

The Village

Rituals

Race to Resting Rock

The Bad Color

The Forbidden Line

Those We Don't Speak Of

Noah Visits

I Cannot See His Color

What Are You Asking Me?

The Shed Not to Be Used

It is Not Real

The Gravel Road

Will You Help Me?

The Vote

Heres a link that has several posts on chronological order of tracks. If more people contribute, we could get alot of these scores knocked out!

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/forum/d...hp?topicid=3230

Here are a few soundtrack I have been curious about as far as track listing. Does anyone have any ideas?? I think we should get a post going on whihc soundtracks are in the incorrect order on there CDs and see if anyone knows them.

I know I for one enjoy listening to soundtracks in the order of the film they were in, not in the order the company believes they should be in. In my mind, that ruins the listening expereince to have them out of order.

Seabiscuit

The English Patient

Training Day (42 track complete Score Academy Promo)

The Aviator

Empire of the Sun

The Green Mile

Shawshank Redemption

The Last Samurai

The Mask of Zorro

The Passion of the Christ

Road to Perdition

The Mask of Zorro:

1) The Plaza of Execution

2) Elena and Esperanza

3) The Fencing Lesson, Part 1

4) Tornado In the Barracks

5) The Confession

6) The Mine (Montero's Vision)

7) Stealing the Map

8) The Fencing Lesson, Part 2

9) The Ride

10) Elena's Truth

11) "Leave No Witnesses..."

12) Diego's Goodbye (I think a different version is used in the film)

13) I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You

14) Zorro's Theme

How about The Passion of the Christ? I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, but I read that the tracks were not in chrono. order

I was wondering about Gettysburg as well, and haven't a clue what order the tracks go in. :?  

Does anyone have any idea on any of the others I mentioned above? ;)

movieman,

This is something I did a while ago and I don't expect it to be accurate but I still would like to get it confirmed by someone else. I am also planning on making a more accurate mix of "Picketts charge" as it is a mix of several over tracks. I have already made a new cue for General Lee when he is mobbed by his men before the charge by editing the last track to Disc 1.

If you know where the three tracks at the bottom go let me know. I think March to Mortality is not used in the final cut in favour of a mix of various tracks though.

GETTYSBURG Chronological Order

1. Main Title

2. Pickett?s Complaint* (Pickett's complaint??? What complaint?? More like "Federal Cavalry")

3. Dawn

4. Men of Honour

5. Gettysburg Revisited*

6. Buford?s Decisive Determination*

7. The First Battle

8. Old Friends*

9. Fife and Gun

10. Killer Angel

11. Battle Of Devil?s Den

12. We Are The Flank

13. Charging up the Hill

14. They?re Coming Again*

15. Refuse the Line*

16. Soldier?s Irony and Close Call*

17. Battle for Little Round Top

18. Kathleen Mavourneen

19. We will Prevail*

20. Kilrain?s Ride*?

21. From History To Legend

22. Fremantle and Armistead*

23. Message from Alexander*

24. Over the Fence

25. Hancock and Kemper are Hit*

26. Armistead is Hit*

27. General Lee at Twilight

28. General Lee?s Solitude

29. Reunion and Finale

30. The Gettysburg Address*

* Disc 2 track

Where the heck to these tracks go??????

To The Queen

Dixie

March To Mortality

Is the Silvestri's Forrest Gump score OST in chronological order? I'm sure that at least the first 3 and the last 3 tracks are in the correct order. I'm just confused in some middle part.

Mirko - who had already asked this in this thread in the Alan Silvestri board, but without a helpfull answer.

Shawshank Redemption (Source songs not included):

Shawshank Prison

New Fish

Rock Hammer

An Inch of his Life

Sisters

May

Suds on the Roof

Workfield

Brooks Was Here

Lovely Raquel

Elmo Blatch

Zihuatanejo

And That Right Soon

Shawshank Redemption

His Judgement Cometh

Compass and Guns

So Was Red

End Title

I'm still looking for a few of the following scores' chronological order:

Seabiscuit

The English Patient

Training Day (42 track complete Score Academy Promo)

The Aviator

Empire of the Sun

The Green Mile

The Last Samurai

The Mask of Zorro

The Passion of the Christ

Road to Perdition

can I ask you guys why you must listen to the albums in an order that matches the movie?

personally I listen to the cd's in the order presented. I'm there for the music, not to recreated the musical experience within the movie. Just wondering.

Because it preserves the structure of the score as much as possible with the limited material there is.

You leave me wondering, though, do you listen to the Jaws CE in the order it's presented?

Because it preserves the structure of the score as much as possible with the limited material there is.

You leave me wondering, though, do you listen to the Jaws CE in the order it's presented?

I don't listen to that CD much at all, I prefer the original soundtrack, and I have put together a CDR with the original soundtrack plus a few of those tracks that I do like,

can I ask you guys why you must listen to the albums in an order that matches the movie?

personally I listen to the cd's in the order presented.  I'm there for the music, not to recreated the musical experience within the movie.  Just wondering.

From the first page of this thread:

- HPFAN_2: What's the point of having it in chronological order?

- John Crichton: Because I like everything in chronological order.

- Indysolo: The music can make much more sense when presented in the order as heard in the film.

- Lotman: Or, preferably, in the order as intended by the composer.

- Marian Schedenig: The order as intended by the composer is the order as heard in the film, unless they butchered the score in the final mix.

Hope this helps. As said by Neil, I prefer listen to the music in the same sequence as I heard it in the film.

Mirko - copying and pasting.

Ah. I see.

I personally don't have the OST, but I'd like to hear it one day. I hear it's pretty different (I liked the extended Montage version you could hear in the Making-off on the DVD). I never ever listen to the CE in normal order. I always program it to play in film order.

- Marc

Hope this helps. As said by Neil, I prefer listen to the music in the same sequence as I heard it in the film.  

I see,

I guess I don't. I'm so used to the albums presentation, that I see it mutually exclusive from the film. Plus alot of John's music doesn't exactly match the film. The Jaws, ET, Raiders, Star Wars, CE3K, are all better listening experiences in their original soundtracks than their re-releases.

I have the Jaws OST, the CE and the Varese re-recording.

Yeah, the OST and the CE sounds pretty different. The sound of the CE is more brilliant, since the music was remastered, and I like the main titles track, that is longer than the old OST version.

I listen to it in the order as it's presented, because I'm too lazy to program the CD-player everytime, and I don't want to burn a CD-R just for having to basically similar albums.

And what about the Varese re-recording? Is it in the correct chronological order?

Mirko - who like Jaws.

Ah. I see.

I personally don't have the OST, but I'd like to hear it one day. I hear it's pretty different (I liked the extended Montage version you could hear in the Making-off on the DVD). I never ever listen to the CE in normal order. I always program it to play in film order.

- Marc

In the case of the original Jaws album, it's a completely different recording with sections edited or embellished by Williams. It works wonderfully, and the order works very well because it was intended to be a separate listening experience. The 25th Anniversary album was re-sequenced by Williams and dramatically doesn't work for me, since that score builds and builds and bulds for me. Hearing it jumbled up ruins the structure for me.

Neil

no, thats John making concert versions of his music.

Joe, who thinks Jaws is truly awesome

:) Star Wars, Rescue of the Princess

Ah. I see.

- Marc

In the case of the original Jaws album, it's a completely different recording with sections edited or embellished by Williams. It works wonderfully, and the order works very well because it was intended to be a separate listening experience. The 25th Anniversary album was re-sequenced by Williams and dramatically doesn't work for me, since that score builds and builds and bulds for me. Hearing it jumbled up ruins the structure for me.

Neil

Yeah, I understood that it's all different music. That's why I'd still like to hear it.

And I agree the CE misses the build-up in the way it's presented on the album. And it's not like it's a 2-hour score that takes a long time to get to the climactic final cues. I enjoy it very much, but only in film order.

I found these sites here that offer quite a bit of threads and posts on differing topics of track sequences and chronological order. Maybe a few are there that some people have been looking for.....

http://www.moviemusic.com/cgi-bin/mb/Ultim...passCookie=true

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/home.asp

:)

Gettysburg 2 disc Commemorative Edition

Here's an update.

Chronological Order

1. Main Title

2. Pickett?s Complaint*

3. Dawn

4. Men of Honour

5. Gettysburg Revisited*

6. Buford?s Decisive Determination*

7. The First Battle

8. Old Friends*

9. Fife and Gun

10. Killer Angel

11. Battle Of Devil?s Den

12. We Are The Flank

13. Charging up the Hill

14. They?re Coming Again*

15. Refuse the Line*

16. Soldier?s Irony and Close Call*

17. Battle for Little Round Top

18. Kathleen Mavourneen (source music)

19. We will Prevail*

20. Kilrain?s Ride*

21. Reunion and Finale (end part)

22. From History To Legend

23. Fremantle and Armistead*

24. Message from Alexander*

25. Over the Fence

26. Hancock and Kemper are Hit*

27. Armistead is Hit*

28. General Lee at Twilight ? unsure

29. General Lee?s Solitude ? unsure

30. Reunion and Finale

31. The Gettysburg Address*

* Disc 2 track

UNKNOWN

To The Queen

Dixie

NOT USED IN FILM

Track 17 Disc 1 March to Mortality

This track may have been replaced by an edited/looped version of Track 3, Disc 1, Battle For Little Round Top when Gen. Armistead marches past the Confederate cannons.

Track 15, Disc 2, The Gettysburg Address

Not used but a nice little addition by Jeff Daniels

END TITLES

Track 18, Disc 1, Reunion and Finale.

This track is actually 2 seperate cues and does not match the film version. The disc version is correct up with the film until the end of the music for the coda. The second part of this track actually appears earlier in the film when Gen. Lee is mobbed by his men when riding his horse. The film version of the Reunion and Finale then matches the disc version up the the end of the coda which is then looped up to where the Gen. Lee track would start on the disc version. From here the cue then segues to Kathleen Mavourneen which plays out then plays into Track 1, Disc 1, Main Title commencing several seconds into the track.

Is the Silvestri's Forrest Gump score OST in chronological order? I'm sure that at least the first 3 and the last 3 tracks are in the correct order. I'm just confused in some middle part.

Mirko - who had already asked this in this thread in the Alan Silvestri board, but without a helpfull answer.

;)

Mirko - still waiting... :(

;)

Mirko - still waiting... :(

Maybe nobody knows. Maybe you should do it on your own.

Neil

Order for James Newton Howard's Waterworld?

My reason, movie came on TV so this is the first time I've seen it since I got the soundtrack...the mess of a movie is so long, it seems like the names of some cues are things that happen two or three different times in the movie LOL.

I was interested to see what scenes the soundtrack cues underscored, and well, he was writing for an infinitely better film...the visuals/plot just leave you flat compared to the excitement of the score.

Greta