Sony To Re-Release "Star Wars" Trilogy Soundtracks

Henry B

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the people at Sony know how to count?

Star Wars track list]

1 - 20th Century Fox Fanfare

2 - Main Title/Rebel Blockade Runner

2 - Main Title

2 - Rebel Blockade Runner

3 - Imperial Attack

4 - The Dune Sea of Tatooine/Jawa Sandcrawler

4 - The Dune Sea of Tatooine

4 - Jawa Sandcrawler

5 - The Moisture Farm

6 - The Hologram/Binary Sunset

6 - The Hologram

6 - Binary Sunset

7 - Landspeeder Search/Attack of the Sand People

7 - Landspeeder Search

7 - Attack of the Sand People

8 - Tales of a Jedi Knight/Learn About the Force

8 - Tales of a Jedi Knight

8 - Learn About the Force

9 - Burning Homestead

10 - Mos Eisley Spaceport

11 - Cantina Band

12 - Cantina Band #2

13 - Binary Sunset (Alternate)

13 - Binary Sunset (Alternate)

Neil

This usually happens with tracklistings that have assembled tracks in them. The tracklisting has been around like that for a while. Same thing happened with Debney's Passion. It'll be correct on the CDs.

So stop bitching already.

Hah, listen to "The Battle of Endor III," they still flub that trumpet note.

What a surprise it is that these soundtracks are the same as RCA Victor's!

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. Of course the content is going to be the same, most of us expected that, but those clips, although compressed, seemed to have a deeper sound to them to me, most notably the brass. I listened to Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor (one cue that I CLEANRLY and COMPLETELY favor the Anthology version ove the SE version) and a handful of others. I also listened to The Battle Of Endor III because you mentioned it, and I disagree... I think the brass sounds better. The bass seems deeper as well, something that I always felt was lacking on the SE set (seemed like all mid-ranges, nothing really vibrant, zero highs, and hissy in all but the bonus tracks, which sounded fine)... very odd to me.

Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I don't know... I was always disgusted by that Jedi set's sound... it seems to sound better. But we simply can't tell until we get our hands on the actual CDs.

Those clips are so overly compressed and filled with artifacts that the only thing you can judge with them is that you are indeed listening to ROTJ music.....and that's about it.

Neil

Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I don't know...

Would be interesting to get a real comparison by someone who has both CD releases. Your description fits the sound improvements on the DSD-remastered Rolling Stones CDs very well.

Marian - still wondering & hoping.

;) The Road Warrior (Brian May)

Neil is right. For the most part, they sound terrible... they are compressed, loud, and poppy at times (n my player). And I may just be imagining it, but I really think that the bass and brass sound better, because that's what always infuriated me about the Jedi SE set. Unless these clips are severely doctored, I really think the brass sounds better. That' goes to show you how much I think of the sound quality on the Jedi SE though... I hated it. The only way to tell for sure is for someone to try both uncompressed, actual CDs out.

The main test will be with Jedi. If those tracks sound exactly the same, then I won't buy these sets, unless I find them cheap and/or used somewhere.

The main test will be with Jedi. If those tracks sound exactly the same, then I won't buy these sets, unless I find them cheap and/or used somewhere.

Actually, I really don't care whether they sound different or not. If they've put a louder release out then it's different....in volume. Just notch up the volume of your SE release and you'll have the same.

No, I only care when they've improved the sound.

And I don't mean 3-Dizing (making the sound a bit more 3D I guess) the sound either. That is not an improvement as well. Sounds different, but same 'quality'.

I mean superior quality. I don't care about louder or minor tinkering that any idiot can do with an EQ.

Question for all... Is there any chance that they actually had better recordings and someone accidentally slapped crappy ones on the RCA/Victors? If that's what happened, it's the furthest from professional. We bash Sony alot here, but the sound quality on Jedi is pretty damn bad for a professional release. The content itself, however, is great (minus Jedi Rocks... rrrr!).

No, I mean when the SE was assembled. Maybe they simply slapped on the wrong master, and they had a better one available. It would be an utter shame if Sony re-releases that one. The other two, wouldn't be.