Catch Me If You Can: Complete and Chronological

Jay

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Complete Cue Sheet & CD Analysis by James Luckard

Something to know at the start, basically the whole film score could be called unreleased, because none of the tracks on the soundtrack is the original film version. The album is clearly a re-recording, with one entire track and parts of two other tracks matching up to what is heard in the film. The other tracks are often vastly different. See my notes at the bottom for specifics. There are also a few concert suites. It is possible to construct your own album that roughly approximates the film order, but there?s no hope of matching the film exactly ? it ain?t gonna happen.

COMPLETE CUE LIST

TitleLengthAvailabilityDVD Timing

1Catch Me If You Can2:39CD Track 0100:24 ? 03:04

2Father and Son2:35Unreleased15:59 ? 18:34

3Divorce2:17Unreleased26:43 ? 29:00

4Learning The Ropes Part 13:32Unreleased29:25 ? 32:57

5Learning The Ropes Part 23:35Unreleased35:01 ? 38:36

6Deadheading1:00CD Track 11a39:55 ? 40:55

7The Prettiest Clerk0:31Unreleased41:20 ? 41:51

8The ?Float?0:50Unreleased42:08 ? 42:58

9Room 2011:13Unreleased51:36 ? 52:49

10Wallet Full of Labels0:48Unreleased55:02 ? 55:50

11No One Else To Call0:44Unreleased1:05:45 ? 1:06:27

12The Flash Comics Clue0:49Unreleased1:06:58 ? 1:07:47

13The Yearbook Photo0:35Unreleased1:09:21 ? 1:09:56

15Frank Conners, M.D.1:55CD Track 14b1:13:17 ? 1:15:22

16Atlanta, Georgia0:49Unreleased1:19:19 ? 1:20:08

17Engaged To A Lawyer/Empty Apartment1:06Unreleased1:21:13 ? 1:22:19

18Raiding Frank?s Office0:28Unreleased1:25:01 ? 1:25:29

19Assistant Prosecutor1:43Unreleased1:28:48 ? 1:30:31

20?Ask Me To Stop!?0:26Unreleased1:35:35 ? 1:36:01

21Leaving Brenda/The Airport Scene3:42Unreleased1:42:02 ? 1:45:44

22Covering Miami Airport0:19Unreleased 1:46:22 ? 1:46:41

23?You Let Him Get Away?1:43Unreleased1:50:30 ? 1:52:13

24?Your Father Is Dead?0:55Unreleased1:59:01 ? 1:59:56

25Frank Spots A Fake0:17Unreleased2:05:14 ? 2:05:31

26?Welcome to the F.B.I.?2:04Unreleased2:07:05 ? 2:09:09

27Captured0:34Unreleased2:10:11 ? 2:10:45

28Monday Morning1:24Unreleased2:12:22 ? 2:13:46

29End Credits6:12Unreleased2:14:22 ? 2:20:34

ALTERNATE VERSIONS

Catch Me If You Can2:42CD Track 01

The Airport Scene0:50CD Track 05 (0:45 ? 1:35)

Learning The Ropes Part 13:21CD Track 07 (0:00 ? 3:21)

Learning The Ropes Part 23:13CD Track 07 (5:31 ? end)

Father and Son2:05CD Track 08 (0:00 ? 2:05)

The Flash Comics Clue0:48CD Track 10 (0:00 ? 0:48)

Leaving Brenda1:23CD Track 11 (1:02 ? end)

?Welcome To The F.B.I.?1:50CD Track 13 (0:00 ? 1:50)

Assistant Prosecutor1:02CD Track 14 (0:00 ? 1:02)

End Titles5:14CD Track 16

CONCERT ARRANGEMENTS

The ?Float?4:56CD Track 02

Recollections (The Father?s Theme)5:16CD Track 04

NOT IN FILM

The Airport Scene (extended intro)0:45CD Track 05 (0:00 ? 0:45)

The Airport Scene (extended end)0:48CD Track 05 (1:35 ? end)

Learning The Ropes (unused bit)2:10CD Track 07 (3:21 ? 5:31)

Father and Son (extended end)1:10CD Track 08 (2:05 ? end)

Unknown1:23CD Track 10 (0:48 ? end)

?Welcome To The F.B.I.? (extended end)2:36CD Track 13 (1:50 ? end)

ALBUM IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

It?s possible to make an album that represents the film score quite well. I left unknown music where it was and put the concert suites where they could represent similar pieces of score that aren?t on the album. I also added a couple of additional pop songs where they appear in the film. They are in italics. Obviously some Williams fans may wish to do the opposite and leave the pop songs off entirely. Your choice.

01. Catch Me If You Can2:42CD Track 01

02. Judy Garland/Embraceable You2:50CD Track 09

03. Father and Son3:15CD Track 08

04. Learning The Ropes8:44CD Track 07

05. Deadheading1:04CD Track 11 (0:00-1:04)

06. The ?Float?4:56CD Track 02

07. Getz & Gilberto/The Girl From Ipanema5:15CD Track 06

08. John Barry Orchestra/The James Bond Theme1:46Dr. No Soundtrack Track 01

09. Dusty Springfield/The Look of Love3:31CD Track 15

10. Bing Crosby/Mele Kalikimaka2:52

11. The Chiffons/He?s So Fine1:57

12. The Flash Comics Clue1:47CD Track 10

13. The Kinks/You Really Got Me2:15

14. Doctor, Lawyer, Lutheran *3:12CD Track 14

15. Leaving Brenda1:21CD Track 11 (1:04-end)

16. The Airport Scene2:27CD Track 05

17. Frank Sinatra/Come Fly With Me3:19CD Track 03

18. Recollections (The Father?s Theme)5:16CD Track 04

19. Nat King Cole/The Christmas Song3:11CD Track 12

20. ?Welcome To The F.B.I.?4:26CD Track 13

21. End Credits5:14CD Track 16

*This track could be split at the 1:02 mark into Frank Conners, M.D. (second half) and Assistant Prosecutor (first half), if you really want your CD in total film order, but it doesn?t sound nearly as good that way.

Recommended CD listening order: 1, 9, 8, 7, 11, 2, 6, 15, 10, 14, 5, 3, 4, 12, 13, 16

Notes on Album Tracks

Track 1 ? Catch Me If You Can (2:42)

In the film a few extra finger snaps are added into the otherwise identical main title between 2:14 and 2:24

Track 2 ? The ?Float? (4:56)

A concert arrangement of the ?crime? theme

Track 4 ? Recollections (The Father?s Theme) (5:16)

A concert arrangement of the theme used for failure, connected to Frank?s dad at the beginning of the film, and Frank himself near the film?s end.

Track 5 ? The Airport Scene (2:23)

(0:00 ? 0:45) Not in film ? extended intro

(0:45 ? 1:35) Film cue ? reworked alternate version

(1:35 ? end) Alternate end to film cue, still matches the timing of the film.

Track 7 ? Learning The Ropes (8:44)

(0:00 ? 3:21) Learning The Ropes Part 1 ? alternate version. There is more exuberant music for the moment when Frank first sees the airline pilot and stewardesses getting out of a cab.

(3:21 ? 5:31) Unused portion of this cue, meant for the middle of the Learning The Ropes sequence, where Frank poses as a high school newspaper reporter to interview a Pan Am spokesman, then gets fitted for a pilot?s uniform. These scenes were left unscored in the final film.

(5:31 ? end) Learning The Ropes Part 2 ? alternate version. Leaves off the last thirty seconds of the film version.

Track 8 ? Father and Son (3:15)

(0:00 ? 2:05) Film cue - alternate version

(2:05 ? end) Not in film ? extended end

Track 10 ? The Flash Comics Clue (1:47)

(0:00 ? 0:48) Film cue - alternate version

(0:48 ? end) Not in film - unknown

Track 11 ? Deadheading (2:25)

(0:00 ? 1:02) Deadheading ? film version

(1:02 ? end) Leaving Brenda ? alternate version

Track 13 ? A Broken Home (4:26)

A totally misleading title. This music is not from the scene the title would suggest, where Frank?s parents get divorced and he must pick with whom he wants to live.

(0:00 ? 1:50) ?Welcome To The F.B.I.? ? alternate version

(1:50 ? end) Not in film ? extended end

Track 14 ? Doctor, Lawyer, Lutheran (3:12)

(0:00 ? 1:02) Assistant Prosecutor ? alternate version

(1:02 ? end) Frank Conners, M.D. ? film version

Track 16 ? Catch Me If You Can (Reprise and End Credits) (5:14)

End credits ? alternate, shorter version

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't do this analysis, it was done by James Luckard (username: jamesluckard)

I merely converted his original word document into HTML for the MB

See his original thread here

Lets all thank James for his hard work!

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who disagrees with a good deal of this list?

First of all, how is it known that all the music on the album was re-recorded? I was also under the impression that this wasn't done anymore.

Also, there are several times when "Father And Son" is tracked in the film, and isn't another cue - Father and Son, No One Else To Call and Divorce. Divorce is also tracked with part of "Recollections" at the end of it. "Ask Me To Stop" is also tracked from "Recollections".

"Captured" and "You Let Him Get Away" also seem to be the same track, both unreleased, but the same cue. The End Credits are tracked as well I believe.

"Learning the Ropes" is confusing, as it is only that brief portion at 3:21 that sounds different from the film.

"A Broken Home" is tracked in two of the above cues - Your Father is Dead and the first half of Welcome to the F.B.I.

Just my takes.

Okay, I should have made this clearer. The reason I say that the whole album is a re-recording is that, although the tracks that match up to the film cues are approximate, the timing is subtly different. I played the DVD, while listening to the soundtrack album on my Discman. Although most of the pieces of music are nearly identical, there are always differences. Specific instruments come in a second or two later or earlier, and instrumentation varies slightly from the film versions.

The only two cues that are represented absolutely identically on the album are Deadheading and Frank Connors, M.D.

As for re-recording for albums not being common anymore, when I saw John Williams at the Kennedy Center last year, someone asked him about this at the Q&A session, and he said that he likes to re-record his scores for the albums still. He wants to reimagine the listening experience, since there's no sound f/x or dialogue to compete with. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist of it. I think you'll find that portions of the A.I. and Minority Report albums are re-recordings as well.

You're welcome to disagree with me, but I think if you do what I did and listen to the film score and the album versions simultaneously, you'll find that they simply don't match at all.

(I should point out that I am watching the DVD on a Region 1 NTSC system, so there is not the 4% speed-up that afflicts PAL movie viewing. The film is running at just about exactly the speed it did in theaters.)

When you say that only the middle of Learning The Ropes is different, I think you must have missed my descriptions of the differences between the film versions and the album track. The pacing of this track is also, like almost all the others, a bit different.

Sorry if any of this sounds unpleasant. I'm sure you want only to help in pointing things out, it's just that I spent a great deal of time listening to this music, over and over, and the differences were very clear to me.

As for the other questions you brought up, I'll take a look at those tiomorrow. I never considered "Reflections" when I was looking for film cues on the album, because Spielberg specifically calls it a concert piece in the liner notes, but it's entirely possible I missed some things there.

One of the reasons the "timing" could be different is that you were playing the cd on a discman. Every cd player in the world plays cds at subtley different speeds (especially battery-operated ones). The only way to play a cd at its accurate speed (and therefore potentially line it up with the movie) is to rip it to your hard drive and play the WAV files that way.

I'm not saying that the album isn't a re-recording, just that perhaps some of the differences in timing were caused by that.

Well, if people just don't want to agree, that's fine, free country and all.

However, as I said, the differences were not tiny, they were often a full second or two. Literally. Sometimes even more. And the mismatches would be early and then late on the same piece sometimes. I can't believe any CD player would be able to play at such off speeds. And the differences were not just in the timing, but in instrumentation and the very playing of the instruments as well. These were noticable differences.

I wouldn't consider anything but word from people who worked on the recordings themselves to be definitive, but these facts, coupled with the very clear answer given by John Williams at the concert I went to, are enough for me at least.

Great work on the list, James. I just listened to the score again in order and it sounded great.

I was surprised when you said the album was mostly rerecordings, but I believe you. I know that once you do a list like this, you get to know the music better than anybody else, and perhaps better than anyone might ever desire to. :)

• 12 years later...

Sorry, I just waked up on this news. Maybe other people missed the info too...

For the need of my discography, is it really a "re-recording" or is it like the case of E.T., where the album is "Mainly featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music, but this is not a re-recording."

Experts, please state on this. All the re-recordings and the special case of E.T. are documented in my discography (search for the keyword "re-recording" in the albums page).

If Catch Me if You Can is a special case, I want to know, thanks!

I just want others advice.

Start by removing the eroneous information from your website and your forum, if you want to help.

This topic starts with "The album is clearly a re-recording".

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

Sorry, I just waked up on this news. Maybe other people missed the info too...

For the need of my discography, is it really a "re-recording" or is it like the case of E.T., where the album is "Mainly featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music, but this is not a re-recording."

Wouldn't it be more likely that this was the case, @Jay? Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything, I wouldn't have a clue where as to the true nature of the album....

It would be like Williams releasing the HP1 album, but it's only the Children's Suite. Not entirely a re-recording, but arrangements recorded at the same time as the sessions?

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Wouldn't it be more likely that this was the case, @Jay? Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything, I wouldn't have a clue where as to the true nature of the album....

It would be like Williams releasing the HP1 album, but it's only the Children's Suite. Not entirely a re-recording, but arrangements recorded at the same time as the sessions?

The most curious thing is that the HP1 album is a hybrid between the two, Children's Suite material edited into the film cues and presented independently but not the whole suite.

Yes, it's strange but it was 2001, only a year before Catch Me If You Can. Williams possibly thought the suites were more important than the underscore as he usually does, but the excision of Entry to the Great Hall, The Dark Forest and just about everything else is unforgiveable!!

The albums of John Williams often have been a wise mix between score cues and suites.

But in the Case if catch me if you can, if we only speak about the use of different takes, there's nothing more to say.

The subject poped out in another thread and the info found on the first post of this one may leads to false assumptions.

If one day Mike Matessino revisit the score, I guess he will privilegiate the movie takes and add the album ones in bonus, only if they are very different, no?

57 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, it's strange but it was 2001, only a year before Catch Me If You Can. Williams possibly thought the suites were more important than the underscore as he usually does, but the excision of Entry to the Great Hall, The Dark Forest and just about everything else is unforgiveable!!

Williams has always been very conscious of his album programming, perhaps even more than your average film composer, which is shown by the countless concert arrangements found on his OSTs. They often work as a sort of  thematic "road map" to the score and also provide additional strength to the listening experience of the score as pure music.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Indeed, although it's a crying shame to have such brilliant music omitted, making people wait decades for a proper release!

Very true.

• 1 year later...

Legend has it that refreshing the thread the number of times of the year the score was released has a higher chance of an expansion being released. I haven't made it to 2002 yet...

A JWFan is never without a meaningful hobby.

I've got to get back to watching reruns of Family Guy until I cry myself to sleep.

• 4 years later...