Spielberg updates on Lincoln:

Of the Presidential biopic, this is what Spielberg had to say: "We start shooting in October. Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team Of Rivals is much too big a book to be a movie, so the Lincoln story only takes place in the last few months of his Presidency and life. I was interested in how he ended the war through all the efforts of his generals...but more importantly how he passed the 13th Amendment into constitutional law. The Emancipation Proclamation was a war powers act and could have been struck down by any court after the war ended...But what permanently ended slavery was the very close vote in the House of Representatives over the 13th Amendment - that story I'm excited to tell."

But how will he tell it? Is this Amistad 2? "Amistad is much more visual than Lincoln is going to be. It feels very much like a procedural. It shows Lincoln at work, not just Lincoln standing around posing for the history books...arguably the greatest working President in American history doing some of the greatest work for the world."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32102

I'm sure it will be an interesting film at the very least.

As for the score, I can see myself enjoying the concert arrangements greatly, but the actual underscore not being something I listen to often. As always, I await being pleasantly surprised :)

LINCOLN should be right up Williams' alley and what he does best -- soaring Americana! Although hopefully not too much. I would prefer a more sober account, and it seems like that is what Spielberg is giving us.

Williams has always said one of the great figures he admires the most is Lincoln, so I imagine this can only bring great things into the table. I wonder if he has had any musical ideas regarding Lincoln (the figure) over the years...

Procedural drama means very little underscore, I guess. I see Spielberg giving Williams some key pivotal sequences, but leaving most of the film without music.

On another side, it will be hard for JW to avoid any kind of Copland-esque inspiration--heck, ol' Aaron even wrote one of his most famous and beautiful concert piece on Abe ("

"). But I'm sure Williams will find a way to work his own voice into the tapestry, as he usually does.

• 2 months later...

DDL nailed the look for Lincoln. I mean, nailed it.

I went to that event I mentioned earlier -- no Lincoln crew members (or Spielberg) present. But Doris Goodwin definitely gave a riveting account of Lincoln when during her address, almost like a novel. She also signed some books after the event, including my copy of "A Game of Rivals".

I knew chances of seeing the producers or Spielberg there at the event was very slim, since a LOT of people showed up. Oh well, but the event was still worth it.

Cool picture! Daniel Day Lewis is a master of disguise, he tends to "disappear" behind the role he's performing.

I was wondering however about the musical approach Williams and Spielberg will choose for this film. The director said the film will be a prodecural, hence it's likely it will be sparsely spotted, with the music saved only for key sequences. About the musical style, I wonder how much Williams will stay close or away to the inevitable Americana/Copland-esque stylings which are almost a given in this case. I sincerely hope Williams will search for some kind of musical autenticity, maybe quoting/using hymns, tunes and songs from that historical period, following more of a Virgil Thomson approach than Copland. Oh, and I'm sure he'll give his take on classic American Civil War music stylings, using fifes-and-drums and bugle calls and also quoting traditionals like "Battle Cry for Freedom" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic".

I think Liam Neeson would have been closer in terms of looks, but DDL is a better actor, so this will be good!

Cool picture! Daniel Day Lewis is a master of disguise, he tends to "disappear" behind the role he's performing.

I was wondering however about the musical approach Williams and Spielberg will choose for this film. The director said the film will be a prodecural, hence it's likely it will be sparsely spotted, with the music saved only for key sequences. About the musical style, I wonder how much Williams will stay close or away to the inevitable Americana/Copland-esque stylings which are almost a given in this case. I sincerely hope Williams will search for some kind of musical autenticity, maybe quoting/using hymns, tunes and songs from that historical period, following more of a Virgil Thomson approach than Copland. Oh, and I'm sure he'll give his take on classic American Civil War music stylings, using fifes-and-drums and bugle calls and also quoting traditionals like "Battle Cry for Freedom" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic".

I'm expecting more music a la that John Adams procedural speech in AMISTAD, but I hope it won't be quite as on-the-nose as that.

I'm expecting more music a la that John Adams procedural speech in AMISTAD, but I hope it won't be quite as on-the-nose as that.

Inspirational americana...ach, that hidden pearl of filmmusic. :sigh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this movie has been in development for so long, that perhaps Spielberg knew exactly what he wanted. And the movie should be mostly dialogue driven, which I reckon is much simpler and faster to shoot than a action sequence

It's his style. He's one director that can shoot fast and still have great results. Also, he can shoot fast because he has a giant team behind him.

I always wondered how Kubrick could take so much time in filming a movie and still keep a low budget. Take for example Eyes Wide Shut: It took about 3 years to film and it costed only 60 million! That's impressive.

Spielberg I think became afraid of going over time and over budget so much after Jaws, CEO3K and most definitely after 1941 that he made himself a promise not to go over time with his film shoots ever again. He usually shoots very fast, has a clear picture of what he wants but on the other hand is ready to improvise and change things if input from the actors etc. might prove to be useful to the scene. But he keeps a brisk pace always, having many many set ups a day. He has even finished shooting some of his films like Catch Me If You Can ahead of schedule, if I remember correctly. It seems to have become a point of honor to him.

Someone actually got their picture taken with Spielberg in Richmond:

stevenspielbergand@zack2016.jpg

I'm very jealous. This is the first time I've ever seen Spielberg posing for pictures with bystanders, most of the time he's very discreet and private.

Steven Spielberg: Master of Disguise....Come on Steve! The cap gives you away...

I mean if i saw spielberg without a cap i would think i had just seen on the street a bearded middle aged man that resembpled SS.

That's great - the Chicago Symphony is supposed to have one of the best brass sections in the world. Maybe this will motivate JW to finally write a trombone concerto. ;)

That is actually quite interesting. Maybe it means that the score will sound more acoustic instead of the "Hollywood studio orchestra" we've had with the latest releases...

And I still wonder if Williams will go for his usual Americana style or try something a little more different. Lincoln's Theme will obviously be Americana, but what about the rest? Maybe it will sound like an Oliver Stone film... Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's very exciting, though :)

That's great - the Chicago Symphony is supposed to have one of the best brass sections in the world. Maybe this will motivate JW to finally write a trombone concerto. ;)

JW did write his Horn Concerto for Dale Clevenger, the principal hornist of the CSO. Makes me wonder if we'll be hearing a lot of French Horn solos in this score.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a ton of new information here, but Katie Couric does reveal at the end that the reason Lincoln isn't coming out until December 2012 is that Spielberg doesn't want it to affect the US presidential election.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Mr. Richardson, JW's personal assistant, "John has just commenced composing a major new film score, which will keep him fully occupied for the next 6 months."

I sure hope Lincoln won't become "Amistad 2". I'm not a fan of John William's pastoral Americana but I'm guessing it won't be robust Americana like The Patriot. And I really hope it's not soft and understated Americana like Saving Private Ryan.