@WilliamsStarShip2282

Right! It's "A Dream Discarded" from the "Geisha".

This evening, I will give it a last chance on youtube.

Thanks for the help!

Augie

It's a wonderful deconstruction and meditation on Chiyo's Theme. You should really give it a chance.

@WilliamsStarShip2282

Right! It's "A Dream Discarded" from the "Geisha".

This evening, I will give it a last chance on youtube.

Thanks for the help!

Augie

im sure you already know about it, but JW and yo yo ma did this great mini album. i think you can only get it on itunes but its john playing piano and yo of course on cello. they do "Sayuris Theme" and "Going to School" along with a fresh recording of " A Dream Discarded"

The main theme from "Victory Celebration" is derived from Luke and Leia's theme. The first five notes are the same.

The Flying Theme from E.T. is derived from the Star Wars Main Theme. The first five notes are the same ;)

im not sure what you mean by et and starwars......only the first two notes are the same and not really, just move by the same interval. et for example, starts on C goes up a fifth to G and then to F,E,D,E,C and then down a fourth to G. Star Wars ( if it starts on see) goes up by a fifth to G and then goes up a fourth to C. just a technicality i guess....

On the C scale, the first five notes of both themes are "C, G, F, E, D". Different rhythms, but same intervals.

The main theme from "Victory Celebration" is derived from Luke and Leia's theme. The first five notes are the same.

The Flying Theme from E.T. is derived from the Star Wars Main Theme. The first five notes are the same ;)

im not sure what you mean by et and starwars......only the first two notes are the same and not really, just move by the same interval. et for example, starts on C goes up a fifth to G and then to F,E,D,E,C and then down a fourth to G. Star Wars ( if it starts on see) goes up by a fifth to G and then goes up a fourth to C. just a technicality i guess....

On the C scale, the first five notes of both themes are "C, G, F, E, D". Different rhythms, but same intervals.

sorry i was incorrect before, writing late at night doesnt always work well, especially when i wrote "see" instead of "C" -_-........ anyways with the exception of the first note in the StarWars theme, the first four notes are the same. I wouldnt say Et was "derived" from StarWars in any way, its just his style to use alot of fifth and octaves

• 1 month later...

Browsing through IMDB forums, I've found these quotes of some of the cast members about DDL's performance and the script:

David Oyelowo (who plays a black calvaryman)

How was working on Steven Spielberg’s ‘Lincoln’?

David Oyelowo: That was just incredible. Daniel Day Lewis is my favorite actor of all-time. To get to share words, to share a scene, and for the person who calls “Cut” behind the monitor to be Spielberg was one of those where I can die happy. These two guys were at the absolute top of their game. I play a union cavalryman and we’re not allowed to talk too much about it because Steven likes to keep things under wrap. It’s a very powerful role and there’s a great interaction between myself and President Lincoln and it sets up the movie really.

Kathleen Kennedy...

Day-Lewis 'sublime' as Lincoln

(UKPA) – 9 hours ago

Daniel Day-Lewis is "absolutely sublime" as Abraham Lincoln, producer Kathleen Kennedy has revealed.

The actor portrays the former US President in Steven Spielberg's upcoming biographical drama, Lincoln, alongside Sally Field as his screen wife Mary Todd.

"He is beyond description. He is just absolutely sublime. You will not be disappointed," Kathleen promised.

The producer, Spielberg's long-time collaborator, added that they have finished filming it, and are in the process of post-production.

However, the War Horse filmmaker refused to let too much slip about the film, adding: "I can't say anything about Lincoln yet because I am still in the process with the movie. I never speak about them until the time is right."

Goodwin--author of Team of Rivals-- (yesterday)

"Team of Rivals" is being made into a movie by Steven Spielberg, and Goodwin said she got to sit in on the set in Virginia as a consultant. "Daniel Day Lewis is wonderful as Lincoln, and Sally Fields is playing Mary and Tommy Lee Jones is in it," she said.

Co-star Walter Goggins (who plays democratic senator Wells Hutchins)

On a lot of people’s lists, Daniel is probably the best actor of his generation, and two subsequent generations. He’s that specific. What it does for me is it reminds me of how important this is. It’s nice to have that daily, almost minute-by-minute, reminder. This isn’t just a story about Lincoln. We’re not just doing another story about Lincoln. This is Steven Spielberg doing a story about one of the most flawed men, who is also one of the greatest men, and certainly one of the greatest presidents we’ve ever had, and feeling the weight that he was under and what was going on in this country. It was the schism that forever changed this country. So, when you have an actor that approaches the work that way, you show up to work every day with your *beep* A-game.

Joseph Gordon Levitt on working with DDL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was really unique. I had absolutely no problem fully believing that I was standing across from and speaking to Abraham Lincoln. It was uncanny. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it, to be honest. It just seemed like him — this guy, this icon that’s been in my head since I was born. We all have this image of this historical figure, and it totally felt like that was my dad. He didn’t seem like, he didn’t look Daniel Day-Lewis the actor at all.

John Hawkes

I only worked one day with Mr. Lewis and was just really blown away by his work. I felt like I had gotten to spend 13 hours with Abraham Lincoln. I really did. It was an indescrible experience and was strangely moving to see another actor at the top of his game and doing such amazing work and embodying his character..."

He also says great things about Spielberg, richmond, and the'phenominal script" which he calls "one of the best studio scripts" he's read in a really long time. He talks about how Kushner has "a really unique way... of telling an epic story in a really human way."

David Strathairn

With a script by Tony Kushner, "Lincoln," Strathairn says, was an extraordinary experience.

"There was a kind of sanctity to the whole production," he says. "There is definitely a reason why Lincoln is held in such awe and reverence. And Tony's script is so insightful and loving. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance as Lincoln is going to knock people's socks off."

And on this video you can hear from Spielberg himself:

http://a.oscar.go.com/video/PL55103820/_m_VD55175280

Thanks for the info! It's cool to hear Spielberg praise the score to War Horse, and acknowledge the whole "vote splitting" effect. Sometimes I think it's just an excuse that we JWFans come up with to avoid killing ourselves over JW's frequent losses. :P

Anyways, Lincoln sounds great, can't wait!

• 2 months later...

Williams should record his score to Spielberg's Lincoln this month in Chicago with the CSO. Anyone got more info about it? IMDb's page lists Alejandro de la Llosa as "music supervisor" and LA session guitarist George Doering as one of the featured musicians.

Williams should record his score to Spielberg's Lincoln this month in Chicago with the CSO. Anyone got more info about it? IMDb's page lists Alejandro de la Llosa as "music supervisor" and LA session guitarist George Doering as one of the featured musicians.

Ah, finally some news on Lincoln. Thanks. ;) Sound interesting and unexpected.

Interesting. JW doesn't use solo guitars very often. I can't wait!

Yeah doesn't seem like something he would do in a presidential score. Curious.

Karol

Doering is listed only as musician in IMDB so I don't think we can jump to conclusions that he will be a soloist and not just part of the orchestra. It will be interesting and quite surprising if there is solo guitar involved, not exactly the first instrument to spring to mind when thinking of US presidents as you say but it could be used to great effect in more intimate moments. I am looking forward to this score a lot. :)

And I certainly would welcome a fresh approach. I know the historical backdrop might warrant the usual burnished brass and stately strings but soloists and allusions to period sounds and instrumentation might be an interesting change.

Any word on a ukelele?

You reckon there will be a quick detour to events on Hawaii in the film?

That is were he gets shot in the Hollywood version.

Johnny could always recycle his score for Diamond Head then. Clever.

I hear that thanks to modern medicine and reduced gun powder Daniel Day Lewis is expected to make a full recovery from being shot in the back of the head.

I just don't get these method actors and their do anything attitude for their craft.

I have a feeling this score will end up being like Burwell's True Grit. Maybe it will not sound similar at all, but I'm refering to the approach of a more authentically period-based score.

Basically what Icanus said :P

However, I'm very curious about this! Could be a chance for Johnny to write something different than usual....

• 3 weeks later...

Great catch Maurizio! :) Looks like people are either going to be thrilled like I am when Williams mentioned the style and tone of the score as being "hymnal" or they are going to just expect the worst. And hopefully there will be soloist writing since he also mentions great instrumental performances.

I found this a great picture of Williams (from the BMI Awards picture gallery http://www.zimbio.com/photos/John+Williams/60th+Annual+BMI+Film+Television+Awards+Show/wSvmzZqRZfF) which seems to shout:

JOHN WILLIAMS WANTS YOU TO DO YOUR BIT FOR MUSIC!

John+Williams+60th+Annual+BMI+Film+Television+DxzBg_sqC30l.jpg

Also this one seems to say "What do I do with these statuettes? I have enough of them already. I guess they're kind of nice and I could use them as book ends or something" :lol:

John+Williams+60th+Annual+BMI+Film+Television+-URN19p2yTdl.jpg

Nice photos! I like using photos of the man as iPod album covers for his live concerts. I don't really care if the concerts are years older than the photos. And when I mean album covers, I usually just use the photo as-is, without any titles.

I'm glad to see that Williams is using the vocabulary of the 19th century for this score. I wouldn't want him to use any notes that were invented in the 20th century or later...

Nice photos! I like using photos of the man as iPod album covers for his live concerts. I don't really care if the concerts are years older than the photos. And when I mean album covers, I usually just use the photo as-is, without any titles.

I do this too, for his concert works...

I would conjecture that "hymnal" equals an American version of Warhorse, in terms of the pastoral music of the latter. For instance, Simple Gifts but pure Williams. Though I think Spielberg mentioned there would be a war scene or two in the picture, so maybe some war stuff as well. Either way, it sounds perfect for the film and great prospects for standalone music.

Sounds very promising indeed! I'm really looking forward to this!

And I loved that interview. He seems so full of life! I wonder if writing music for Tintin and War Horse has made him feel younger...

Either way, can't wait to hear what Johnny's preparing for us :)

the big secret in this film is who plays John wilkes Booth?

He said it would be hymn-like. I wonder if he's going to use a chorus. That would be pretty great.

I don't expect use of choir. I guess Williams intends hymn-like music in the sense of use of particular harmonies and modes which can be traced back to 19th century American music.

the big secret in this film is who plays John wilkes Booth?

How do you kill a sixty foot tall Abraham Lincoln?

with a sixty foot tall John Wilkes Booth?

• 1 month later...