Naxos International - Best of John Williams

fommes

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a few things in there,like the arrangement os The Accidental Tourist tracks,and the last track with a hopped up Raiders March(cheezy,but I kind of like it anyways)

K.M.

Mr. Hayman, the conductor on this recording (dating from the late 80's) was teh principal arranger for the Boston Pops during most of Arthur Fiedler years. I never really liked his arrangements, but is conducting is just too bad. There are a few pieces that he can hold more or less tochether, mostly when a smaller orchestra is used, like King Mark mentioned in The Accidental Tourist. The Mission theme is also more or less acceptable, thought not as close as any of the available recodings by Williams him self. The concert version of Accidental Tourist is the only available recording, and while is OK, remains inferior to a live recording of it with Williams condcuting the Boston Pops.

Most of the disc is just a waist of time, as is Hayman other disc with Williams music, featuring excerpts from Star Wars (includes Cantina Band transformed into a big band number) and one of the worst reditions of the Close Encounters theme.

This one is just for the John Williams geeks like myself that want it all... otehrwise, spend your ahrd earned money elsewhere.

I've had this for years. One of the worst CDs in my collection. Get it if you want to laugh about how poorly Williams' music can be performed. Otherwise, stay away from it.

Marian - who might give it a spin again. LOL

:P The Robe (Alfred Newman)

The concert version of Accidental Tourist is the only available recording, and while is OK, remains inferior to a live recording of .

Thanks for pointing this out.It is different arrangement than any of the cues on the OST.I never figured Williams bothered.

K.M.

Don't buy this!!! I bought mine about 10 years ago and I sold it about 9 years, 11 months and 3 weeks ago. The arrangements for the most part are pretty nasty with a lot of "dumbing down" and simplifying of the material. Where are the flutes in the ET opening? The Olympic Fanfare is really slow and muddy. The CD you should go for to get better versions of many of these pieces is By Request, John Williams and the Boston Pops. If you get By Request will never need this one.

I hired this out of the local libarary a few months back - was not impressed...

you hired it, what did you make it do ;)

Joe thinks you should have said: I rented this out of the local libarary a few months back  

I think.

no, if the library is free, then borrowed perhaps, but not hired, or rent, those two suppose an exchange of cash for services.

I was just joking too,

so do the libraries in England cost money?

This disc is a DISASTER! It is so bad that time stops when you listen to it... I fear that this recording may do more harm than good in the long run. I mean just imagine that someone who has never heard the maestros music before buy this CD out of curiosity... I promise he/she will NEVER want to hear the music of John Williams ever again. I´m not kidding. It´s that bad. I actually destroyed my copy a few years back.

/C

And Christer's reaction was relatively mild. Actually I'm almost regretting getting rid of this disk. I want to hear it again now! I remember the amazing sensation I got once when immediately after playing this disk I listened to the By Request recording of Olympic Fanfare. It was like drinking a smooth creamy Guinness after forcing down a crate of Coors Lite. Yup, that about sums it up.

So would you guys reccomend By Request, even if I have and am familiar with all of the pieces already?

Ray Barnsbury

Yes - abso-flamin'-lutely......

English libraries vary in cost depending on where you are....Books are always free (as are talking books), CD's, Tapes and DVD/Videos are £1 per week (well, they are here at least....)

well the last CD I hired/rented/borrowed from the library was The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith.

It was an utterly disappointing album. Sure the LSO performed the music, but some of the music was not meant to be played by a huge orchestra and it suffered greatly.