Happy 10th Birthday, Voyager!

Justin

10 years ago on January 16th the U.S.S. Voyager launched from Deep Space Nine to eventually end up 70,000 light years and 7 seasons away.

crew.jpg

Voyager_2.jpg

Happy Birthday, Star Trek Voyager!

Justin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday Star Trek: Voyager Theme, composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith! ROTFLMAO

The only thing worth celebrating from that dreadful show.

Neil

I must disagree, I loved all the Borg episodes, Seven of Nine, the Doctor, Janeway, Paris, Torres, etc. This show got a bad rap.

Its fine wine compared to Star Trek, Enterprise.

Happy Birthday Star Trek: Voyager Theme, composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith! ROTFLMAO

The only thing worth celebrating from that dreadful show.

I must agree with Joe. You said you watched the first season and then gave up. I've only seen the first season and while it wasn't spectacular the potential is there. The Borg episodes look excellent. As I recall didn't you once not care for DS9? And now who has the complete collection of all 7 seasons....

Justin - Glad he didn't judge TNG by it's first season...

As I recall didn't you once not care for DS9? And now who has the complete collection of all 7 seasons....

I didn't buy them and I have not viewed them yet. Any other silly observations. ROTFLMAO

Neil

I never enjoyed Voyager. The charaters are extremely weak and uninteresting compared to the previous shows. I still watched it very casually and saw a few good eps, but overall it wasn't anything worth remembering.

How dare anyone crib about ST: VOYAGER!!!! I donated $100,000 tax free just to sleep with 7 of 9 in the episode THE VOID. Anyone who has a problem with Voyager and its related material can write to me c/o The original Fruit Cellar on the Paramount lot.

Hitch

I didn't buy them and I have not viewed them yet.  Any other silly observations.

Just that you seem to have a strange tendency to have things and not use them....

Justin - Who suspects Neil will not like DS9, just to win the argument.... :|

I kinda agree with Joe, most of Voyager was good.

It got of to a slow start, but season 4 is really great.

Things took a dive for me in season 6 though, when they started putting Borg kiddies on board and the best episodes were the ones with Barclay and Troi.

Janeway was cool, but made some TERRIBLE command descisions, Chakotay, Kim anf Tuvok were underused and mostly boring, never cared for Neelix.

Seven of Nine spiced up the show in much the same way DS9 was enhanced by putting worf on the station.

And the Doctor just RULES!

I agree about Neelix, I personally would have loved to find devious ways to torture and kill him off.

The Doctor is without a doubt the best character. Heroes and Demons is a great episode.

Justin - Who thinks Chakotay is one of the most boring characters in Star Trek...and he introduced animal guides to Star Trek... :mrgreen:

I quite liked Voyager, compared to Deep Space Nine (which i never really enjoyed apart from the devious Ferengi character). Voyager had a cosy feel to it (if that makes any sense). Deep space nine was a busy airport kind of situation. People coming and going. Quite impersonal at times. TNG was a gigantic ship, and apart from some familiar characters, again quite impersonal. Voyager was a family atmosphere, and that was nice. I watched one episode of that Enterprise and found it very irritating and rather dull. I've not seen any others after that. But Voyager i liked. Actually i enjoyed the early episodes. I never got round to seeing them all though. I never saw an episode with this Seven of nine women in. So the last episode i saw must have been very early on.

Btw. I actually liked that Animal guide episode, Justin. )

I watched every episode of Voyager, but I never really liked. I was constantly waiting for it to get good, but it never did. It did have several very good episodes, and I always liked the doctor who I think is one of the best characters created in Star Trek.

But....

This show had so much potential. It always bugged me that the ship was always in tip top shape. The writers tried to throw in the possibility that they were short on supplies, but there was no sense of urgency. You knew that they would get their supplies and clean up the ship and all was well.

One of the best episodes that should have been better were the Equinox shows. Basically the USS Equinox was in the same position as Voyager but were having some serious problems. Voyager should have been a mix of itself and the Equinox.

Deep space nine was a busy airport kind of situation. People coming and going. Quite impersonal at times.

I'll disagree with this because I don't think this is the case at all. I'm not sure how much you watched, but DS9 was most definetly not an airport. Quite cozy in an alien sort of way. I think it had the most heart of any ST series, and probably the closest to Roddenberry's vision, believe it or not.

I'm not sure how much you watched, but DS9 was most definetly not an airport.  Quite cozy in an alien sort of way.  I think it had the most heart of any ST series, and probably the closest to Roddenberry's vision, believe it or not.

I didn't see many really. In the case of Star Trek in the UK, we used to get seasons shown at all kind of times and in bizzare orders that i dont think i've ever watched any ST series right through properly from the start and in proper order. I think they all moved to sattelite TV later on too. I certainly haven't seen Star Trek for a few years now. So yes i didn't see many Deep Space Nine episodes.

Melange,

I've heard about how barbaric the UK is, but for the love of all that is good and decent, how can they do this?! That is unthinkable!

DS9 really has to be seen in order. Especially from season 2 on.

Btw. I actually liked that Animal guide episode, Justin. )

right.gif

Justin

Justin and Joe agree.

We must be trapped in a temporal flux creating this alternate timeline....

Justin - Who thought there were too many space anomalies in Season One....

the thing I loved about Voyager was it provided the Enterprise with her new phased torpedo's, her new armor, and her new stealth technology that she used to defeat the Schimitar in Nemesis. :angry::folder:

the thing I loved about Voyager was it provided the Enterprise with her new phased torpedo's, her new armor, and her new stealth technology that she used to defeat the Schimitar in Nemesis.   :)  ;)

Did I watch the same movie? The armor, that was a blatant rip off of Viper, did not show up on the Enterprise.

Funny, the timing....I'm currently watching the run of Voyager on DVD with my son, who's grown into quite the ST fan. I remember enjoying the show at first, then growing more and more disappointed with it as it progressed. Stewdog beat me to the punch; my biggest gripe was always the fact that the ship looked the same, no matter what. Seven years down that kinda road, and the ship should definitely have looked a lot more like the Millenium Falcon than the Enterprise D. I was actually hoping "The Year of Hell" look would initiate that particular change, but as usual, they pushed the reset button at the end.

Still....I'm finding a lot of good things in the show this time around. I'd have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more. Maybe it's because I haven't had the steady Trek diet I was accustomed to from the late 80's through the early 90's (and no, Enterprise doesn't count; that show's like the steady "diet" regimen of a chronic anorexic). It's definitely not NextGen, and could never measure up to DS9, but it has its positive points, enough to keep me watching and enjoying.

- Uni

Uni, hold old is your son?

Justin - Who's extended family lives in Denver and has been there many times... (Not for a few years as of recent...)

the thing I loved about Voyager was it provided the Enterprise with her new phased torpedo's, her new armor, and her new stealth technology that she used to defeat the Schimitar in Nemesis.   :)  :nod:

Did I watch the same movie? The armor, that was a blatant rip off of Viper, did not show up on the Enterprise.

I was being sarcastic Stew, Nemesis ignored to much canon.

There is no way that the Schimitar would have had that much advantage over the Enterprise.

Uni, hold old is your son?

Justin - Who's extended family lives in Denver and has been there many times... (Not for a few years as of recent...)

He's ten. In a way, I think Trek is perfect for that age and the years following; much better than the ridiculous, low-production value nonsense they'll find on Nickelodeon and the like. ST can at times be a little too preachy and dated for the older generation, but those "positive values" fans always tout can't hurt for a lot of these young'uns.

- Uni

• 1 year later...

Dredging up this old thread . . . . .

I just watched the worst Voyager episode - Threshold.

Tom Paris breaks the warp barrier.

Tom becomes Admiral Ackbar.

06a12.jpg

Tom evolves into an amphibian, mates with Janeway and ends up feeling good about himself.

If is the future of human evolution, then why did I become a father?

06a1.jpg

Funny that this thread comes up now, as I have only recently been introduced into the ST universe through this show.

I love it.

I'm up to the end of Season 3 (I'm about to watch Scorpion with my friend who introduced it to me; he insisted I watch this one with him) and I've greatly enjoyed all the characters. Sure, Neelix is annoying and Kes is a goody-goody, but Janeway rocks, the Doctor is hilarious and it has an awesome opening titles sequence.

Of course there have been some pretty weak episodes; the ones that revolve around Harry or Tom or both I generally dislike, but the ones about B'Elanna, the Doctor and the Captain are more often than not entertaining. Oh, and I tire of the Chakotay Indian-roots episodes. When that pan flute starts playing my eyes glaze over.

In short. I like Voyager. Maybe I will only like Voyager and not the other incarnations (though what I have seen of TNG has been good).

I'm up to the end of Season 3 (I'm about to watch Scorpion

Scorpion paets 1 and 2 are the episodes were Voyager suddely became very good.

Season 4 on a whole is damn good viewing, pity they were not able to sustain the momentum.

The best of Voyager was "The Thaw"

And post season 3 it started to dwindle, and by the end of the season 4 it was on its way down the tubes. Season 6 was the epitome of garbage.

False.

Season 4 was the most consistent season of the show, but it didn't produce the best stuff. The quality was pretty consistent though, which was shocking.

But season 4 also started the destruction of the characters.

They suddenly went the way of dull and flat.

They suddenly went the way of dull and flat.

Voyager always had dull and flat characters.

I mean both Harry Kim and Chakotay were boring as hell all the way through the series.

Janeway improved by a mile in season 4, we got Seven Of Nine to replace to boring Kes and Neelix got less screen time.

Season 4 did have it's problems though. they introduced 2 new evil Alien races (Species 8472 and the Hirogen), both were menacing and deadly in their first appearance and then the producers went on to make then all soft and vulnerable. (what was that episode were Species 8472 all look like humans and are actually afraid of us?).

Still Later seasons would become worse, to such an extent that the best episode of a season would be one that has Deanna Troi and Reg Barclay for 40 minutes of the episode and the regular cast for only like 3.

I abandoned ship midway through season 6 and haven't beamed back.

Well I personally thought that overall the show peaked near the end of season 3 and beginning of season 4 and went down from there.

Under the helm of Michael Piller, the characters started out with some interesting values, but once he left the show developed a notorious "forget the this episode next week" writing style, and as a result the characters didn't go anywhere. And Jeri Taylor tried to keep the show and characters interesting (Seven was quite interesting, not just from a sex symbol perspective), but it didn't work as well as it should have. When she left, it was the last nail in the coffin. It all just spiraled down.

The show is very linear to me. Not much change in quality over the 6 years that I have seen. Season 4 is good in parts, bad in parts. Just like Season 6.

Justin