The Coolest Homework Assignment Ever

pianoman1

Of Coarse going to Berklee College of Music and attending the "intro to film scoring" class is gonna be awesome but i was shocked with my first assignment for this class.

I had to watch a BBC documentry of John Williams from when he was recording Empire Strikes Back. It was the coolest thing i had ever seen about JW.

It particularly awesome because it showed him actually at the piano composing the cues and then it would go into the recording studio with him conducting the orchestral part. It also showed the spotting session and the whole process!

it was super awesome cool and i thought that i'd share

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an incredible documentary. To actually hear Williams composing familar underscore is fantastic. Something else that probably should have been put on the DVD.

Part of this doc wound up in a story about JW on 20/20 in 1984.

Neil

That does sound interesting! I hope college will be like that for me, even though I'm not doing film score, I'm just doing composition. So besides watching the documentary, what else did you have to do?

Is there any possibility of obtaining that documentary?

That is the same questions, I was getting ready to ask. Hopefully, it is avialable to the public for purchase.

Pianoman1--keep us uptodate on how the class is and if you get to see anymore cool JW stuff. Good luck with the class.

Woah, how many of us would kill to get our hands on that footage? Is it easily available? What music precisely is he playing on the piano, just curious.

While we're on the topic, I've got a pretty cool couple of assignments for my Film Scoring/Orchestration indep study, which has basically guided by whatever I want to do.

Besides transcribing Princess Leia's Theme by ear (which is a really cool process and makes you love the piece 100x more), I've proposed that I literally take an unscored scene from a well known movie and add appropriate underscore. This is a fairly common assignment, I would think, not unlike what the JW-composition contest is about. My choice of scene -- Nepal Bar, right after Marion wins drinking game, up until The Medallion cue.

I had to watch a BBC documentry of John Williams from when he was recording Empire Strikes Back. It was the coolest thing i had ever seen about JW.

I saw that in the same class, and it is awesome. The way Williams starts laughing maniacally while first conducting the escape from the asteroid creature is a special highlight. The whole orchestra then starts laughing, just from the fun of the piece.

PS - I asked Berklee if I could copy it and they said..."NO"

I've got a CD-R rip of the whiole thing, rather poor quality, but better than nothing. the only downside is you can't read any of the music when the camera shows a close up.

I'd happily trade it out for a few copies of scores, or simply include it in a trade with other stuff. My list is at the top of the trading board as the sticky "Jason's Trade List."

Jason

Berklee is the wicked strict about copying stuff in their library. If you even take out your computer where the CD's and DVD's are you will be asked to leave.

With Regards to the part of the score that Williams plays on the piano and then it segues into the full orchestra version is the cue when han solo and leia are outside the millenium falcon and start to shoot at the ground and it starts to move and they fly out of the "asteriod"

Other homework assignments that i havn't done yet but that i know are comin' include analyzing a specific scene, and the final project for the class is to go through a film with out music and make spotting notes for it - which should be really exciting!!

I'm very bitter. My assignment, due tomorrow, is to discuss the limitations of UNIX pipes as it relates to robust programming. And I believe Ray is currently having fun with vegetables.

The first time I saw JW play the piano was on the E.T. special edition DVD that came out a few years ago. I thought the feature was too short, but interesting none-the-less. Spielberg looked very into it. I guess the prospects of having a John Williams DVD (documentary) is in the not-so near future because it wouldn't be very marketable, but I find footage of him sitting at the piano fascinating and would love to have more readily available.

Tim

Indeed.  Did you know that the vast majority of corn grown in the United States is actually hybrid corn?

Ray Barnsbury

I did not know! Did you know that after a UNIX process is forked and the standard I/O assigned to a newly created pipe, those connections are immutable?

La la la la....

- Diskobolus, succeeding in bringing a thread off topic which causes him great bitterness

Did you know that after a UNIX process is forked and the standard I/O assigned to a newly created pipe, those connections are immutable?

I guess so.... seems to make sense at least, since you have to close the original stdio's before reconnecting them to pipes. 8O

Marian - undersigned #something.