Yet another legend has died

christer

The legendary Swedish conductor (and Julliard professor) maestro Sixten Ehrling has passed away at 86. He will be missed! I wonder if He ever met JW!?

He got a lot of attention some 45 years ago when he conducted "Le sacre printems" without a score. Now that, if nothing else, is something to be remembered by. I can hardly even LISTEN to it without the score in front of me. LOL

May he rest in musical piece!

/CC

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's funny... I was sorting out his contracts with the Swedish Radio just a few weeks ago.... (yeah, I work there a little now and then).

I've never seen him in concert due to him more or less laying off the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra about 10 years ago... oh well, sad to see him go... but still 86 is a good run.

He will be missed, a wonderfull conductor, I had the honor to play under his batton once.

(Sixten Ehrling was also pricipal conductor for Detriot symphony orchestra 1963-1973

and professor ar Juliard 1973-1988)

8O

Subtlety is a virtue. So are manners.

don't get mad at Mark for not knowing who this guy was, lets face it, he's not a legend, or household name to most.

Still, show some respect for those who did regard the man highly. I know we'd be upset when Williams dies and someone comes along and says "I don't give a shit". Granted, Williams is much more famous, but some people may idolize/respect Mr Ehrling as much as we do for Williams.

He was a major figure in Scandinavian music. I can understand why Christer would want to share news of Ehrling's passing with his fellow music-lovers. Unfortunately, it's very easy to overestimate the scope of some people's interests around here.

Be that as it may, it's customary in polite society to be respectful when someone sees fit to salute the dead -- a good time to observe the maxim, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Remember, K.M. was equally dismissive when Dudley Moore died.

Figo, fond of Maestro Ehrling's Berwald symphonies.