Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

And he says he's not a troll.

I bought all of those when the deal was offered in the final weeks of 2012.

So I didn't notice the date on a post.

You really need to get out more.

Not as a whole, no. (Nor S3, as far as I remember, and I don't yet have the later ones)

But Passacaglia, Allegro and Prelude to War are outstanding, and I can't (from watching it) remember anything ever topping them in the later seasons.

Hmmm. it might be a good opportunity to buy seasons 1-4 all at once...

There is a lot of great cues spread all over those albums. I'm not a fan of everything in the series, but there is some quality to be found there.

Marian, you're forgetting this one:

And, as Jason pointed out, latter seasons are worthy as well:

Karol

The best musical moment I can remember from BSG is the pre-credits opener to "Pegasus" (S2). McCreary just really did something special there that pretty much sounds like nothing else he ever did on the show. Actually, the whole score to that episode has an operatic feel, and you definitely are aware of it.

Well as Marian and crocodile have pointed out there is still plenty of good stuff on the first two season's discs. Definitely worth $10 each

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Holy crap! Amazon is selling the complete Blu Ray boxset of Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined series) - All 4 seasons plus Razor and The Plan - for their lowest price ever - $89.99!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2/jwfancom-20

Buy buy buy!

I found brilliance in all 4 seasons. But the first 20 episodes (13 episode season 1 and first 7 episodes of season 2) were the show at it's best, that's just a great arc.

I also really enjoyed the Pegasus arc, New Caprica arc, and the Final 5 arc, and was fine with the final episode.

The first 2 seasons do have more a feel of them following a plan they had laid out, and the final 2 seasons have more of a feel of them making things up as they went, but I didn't think the quality dipped as much as you did.

Even at it's worst, it's still loads and loads better than most of the rubbish on TV these days.

yea, I'm sure everyone would agree, the difference is I just think the direction he did end up going in (which wouldn't have been where I would have preferred things went, if I had my say) was still enjoyable enough.

Its subjective i know, but i really feel Moore lost the plot at some point.

He said himself they were making it all up.

All things considered, it was an enjoyable series.

And no, the ending wasn't its finest moment. But then again, it almost never is, if ever.

Karol

Even at it's worst, it's still loads and loads better than most of the rubbish on TV these days.

I disagree, TV has never been as good as it has been the last 10 or 12 years. You might prefer The Love Boat or Happy Days, Dynasty from the old days but I say they are inferior to the kind of shows they are making today (The Wire, Treme, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Games Of Thrones, Dexter, ...). The golden age of TV is not over, it has only just begun.

That being said, I've never seen Caprica. The DVD set is quite expensive around here.

Alex

You compared two old sitcoms and a prime time soap opera to a handful of modern scripted dramas with vast story arcs. I'm not sure your analogy is... Oh who gives a shit.

That has always been Alex' modus operandi.

There was good, quality stuff in the 80's Alex. And not all TV today is of the same level as Breaking Bad or Mad Men. Have you forgotten NCIS, The Mentalist, etc etc. You often used them as examples before. Why not now?

Why don't I mention NCIS, Castle, Hunter or Under The Dome?!!! Simple, I never said that every show made today is great. That would be foolish, Steef. They still make ordinary shows like the ones you mentioned. In fact, these shows are nothing more than a continuation of that what has always been. But thanks to cable networks, high quality TV shows are now being made for the group of people who were left in the cold and who generally didn't care for TV. Really, you should check them out, Steef, a whole new world might open up to you. I once saw a special about it and someone said that today cable is offering TV series for people who no longer are satisfied with what's playing at the cinemas. I really think he had a point.

Alex

That being said, I've never seen Caprica. The DVD set is quite expensive around here.

Alex

Caprica was an interesting concept, probably more daring and risky than BSG. Had some interesting themes and much more interesting production values. But it was also a slow burn and more of a character piece than an epic s-f.

Karol