The Patriot "Ann and Gabriel" track 8

Jeshopk

Track 8 from the Patriot is Beautiful. The Horn Solo from 2:20 to 3:05 that gives way to the brass chords and crescendo always tugs on my heart strings. I am familiar with Copland?s music, but I think Williams has captured something different here. Something more personal, about a young couple in America before the industrial revolution changed the landscape - a yearning and a love, and a sort of beauty and loneliness ? It?s music that describes the time period, the landscape, the relationship, and the threat of war all in one tapestry.

Wonderful post! I only wish the film had half as much depth as the theme itself. This theme is one of many beautiful things about the score to the Patriot, but I don't find myself listening to it very much because of my negative feelings about the film. I have always loves this theme though. The strings in the very beginning after the initial harpsicord melody are absolutely beautiful. I think Williams wrote some brilliant string arrangements for this score, and one example of his subtlety and beauty can be found in this theme. I also loved the furious string writing in Tavington's trap. But I loved your comments and how you linked the style and nature of this theme to that point in American history.

Ted

I only wish the film had half as much depth as the theme itself. This theme is one of many beautiful things about the score to the Patriot, but I don't find myself listening to it very much because of my negative feelings about the film.

When I first started collecting JW soundtracks, I bought things like Dracula, The Fury, and the Eiger Sanction without even hearing of the films. The subject matter informed the music, but I found I could detach the music from the movies. I pretty much do the same thing with Patriot, even though I saw it. It was a pretty cheesy movie, but the landscapes and crisp photography were nice, and the girl who played ann was pretty and charming, so it was a little sad when she died.

I am usually surprised when I see JW movies on TV after getting close to the soundtracks, because more often than not, the movie is nowhere near as good as the music.