The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

It's no longer relevant to count the number of viewers who watch the initial viewing of a show. We have Netflix (though US Netflix is sparse on BBC America shows now) and on demand and DVR and the Internet. I watched last night's episode after the sorry excuse of a hockey game was over, which may have soured my attitude towards a dull as dishwater episode. 

27 minutes ago, Richard said:

Its pathetic that still seem to think that Classic Who is irrelevant, but...you will not live to see the day when all  DW is ruled by Colin Baker!

You're comparing apples with oranges when you mention ratings from the 70's and 80's. Only a few channels back  than, no Internet. Hell most TV's didnt even have a remote.

Classic Who isnt very relevant today, sorry.

Ah yes, I forgot to update my power ranking the last couple of weeks:

1. Extremis

2. Thin Ice

3. (tie) The Pyramid at the End of the World

3. (tie) Oxygen

5. Knock Knock

6. The Pilot

7. The Lie of the Land

8. Smile

Really enjoyed last nights episode. The music was great and the acting was all there, but something felt, off...

I think we needed to see more of the Monk's reign, what they were doing etc. It almost felt like we missed an episode where Bill was dealing with the Monk's Alternative Reality.

That I completely forgot to post here after watching "Empress of Mars" this past Saturday tells you everything you need to know.  An episode that is just "fine" in every way.  Nothing really notable to say about it.

It's better than Gatiss' last one, "Sleep No More" (not hard to do, one of the worst episodes of nu-Who), but that's about it.

The concept reminded me of John Carter, though that's to be expected with anyone breathing atmosphere on/inside Mars. I slept through the entire middle part and felt like I missed nothing. 

It has all the Gatiss-isms you'd expect. It also might be more interesting if you're a fan of the Ice Warriors, but other than that it wasn't much more than a somewhat drawn out monster of the week yarn with some funny bits.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

In that case, I can't wait to get re-aquainted with Alpha Centauri, a truly wonderful character!

Don't get your hopes up, it's a clever cameo.  Just a wink to the old-school fans.

One of those news that isn't really news items:

‘Doctor Who’: The New Doctor Has Been Cast, Confirms Former Showrunner Russell T. Davies

In an interview at the British LGBT Awards, Davies expertly dodged any questions about the race or gender of the replacement, saying only, “I do know who it is.”

Oh, this is news to me.  I thought they already cast that Kris Marshall guy, but after a quick search it turns out they were only rumors and it was never confirmed.

30 minutes ago, Woj said:

Eat my shorts. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Don't have a cow!

Silence will fall when the question is asked.

Empress of Mars was seriously a disappointing episode - a waste of an episode for Capaldi's last season.

No stakes were raised, little interaction between Bill and the Doctor, and most disappointingly, the Doctor did fuck all.

Next episode looks like another Empress of Mars but swap the British Troops for Romans...

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

Silence will fall when the question is asked.

Empress of Mars was seriously a disappointing episode - a waste of an episode for Capaldi's last season.

No stakes were raised, little interaction between Bill and the Doctor, and most disappointingly, the Doctor did fuck all.

Next episode looks like another Empress of Mars but swap the British Troops for Romans...

It's just Gatiss, man.  This was his shot at redemption after "Sleep No More" and he blew it, he's gotta go.

I'm definitely more curious about the next episode, even though the preview didn't inspire confidence, mostly because it's a first time Who writer.  Always curious about a first-timer's episode.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm definitely more curious about the next episode, even though the preview didn't inspire confidence, mostly because it's a first time Who writer.  Always curious about a first-timer's episode.

First timer? I understood it was written by someone who did already write on Doctor Who.

OLD Doctor Who though. ;)

1 minute ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

First timer? I understood it was written by someone who did already write on Doctor Who.

OLD Doctor Who though. ;)

Everybody but Richard knows that doesn't count!

In seriousness, that's true and I'd forgotten.  It's someone who wrote one story for Sylvester McCoy era DW.

You are correct ... the writer of the next ep (The Eaters Of Light) is Rona Munro, who previously wrote the last-ever story of 'Classic Who' ... the Sylvester McCoy-starring 'Survival'.  

Can anyone think of an instance where the Matt Smith Doctor said "Not my problem"? All the other nuWho Doctors use the phrase early in their run and it's always badass. Actually, didn't they all say it in the second episode of each regenerated Doctor's first season? 9 says it to trampoline when the Earth is destroyed, 10 says it to her when she's in Rose's body and 12 says it to the sick Dalek. I can't remember if 11 said it, though.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Can anyone think of an instance where the Matt Smith Doctor said "Not my problem"? All the other nuWho Doctors use the phrase early in their run and it's always badass. Actually, didn't they all say it in the second episode of each regenerated Doctor's first season? 9 says it to trampoline when the Earth is destroyed, 10 says it to her when she's in Rose's body and 12 says it to the sick Dalek. I can't remember if 11 said it, though.

That always sounded like a heartless thing for him to say tbh.

Fun episode last night ... particularly enjoyed Nardole's 'Heh, death by Scotland' in response to the Doctor saying that what would've reduced the Roman soldier to a husk was a 'complete absence of sunlight'. Would have liked some sort of nod to Jamie McCrimmon considering the story's location, but I guess you can't have everything.    

Stoked for the first of the 2-part season finale next week, with the original Cybermen and the return of Simm's Master.    

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Fun episode last night ... particularly enjoyed Nardole's 'Heh, death by Scotland' in response to the Doctor saying that what would've reduced the Roman soldier to a husk was a 'complete absence of sunlight'. Would have liked some sort of nod to Jamie McCrimmon considering the story's location, but I guess you can't have everything.    

Stoked for the first of the 2-part season finale next week, with the original Cybermen and the return of Simm's Master.    

I thought it was... ok.  It was just good, not great.  The back half of this season has been a little disappointing.  By the time "Extremis" aired, I was all set for a classic. But a string of just fine episodes took the wind out of its sails.

I'm hopeful for the 2 part finale!

I liked it quite a bit. As far as monster of the weeks episodes go, it was pretty good I thought. Plus some nice ideas, good humour ("I probably just get interrupted"), and once again Capaldi in top form.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Has Moffat outstayed his welcome?

Probably since the latter half of Series 6.

It's hard to mitigate exactly where it all turned to shit as all of the series have their highlights, and we have Capaldi because of Moffatt, who has become a great Doctor...