The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So they're going to reveal Thirteen early?

They've actually waited a record setting amount of time before announcing!  Usually it's much sooner after the "departure announcement" of the last Doctor.

It's that time again when thousands of journalists who don't care about Doctor Who pretend to care about Doctor Who!

I was actually kind of hoping that they'd leave it as a surprise for once too.

But they've always announced ahead of time, and I think it'd be almost impossible to stop it from leaking once they've gotten as far as filming the regeneration.

Not sure if this is happening or the veracity of the source, but Murray Gold will be leaving too. :( His music was some of the best and most thematically-driven and consistent music for television!

If he wants to go, he wants to go. Yes, it's been a long project for him, I just hope whoever they replace him with has the chops to deliver anything close to his volume of themes and orchestral writing.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Genital herpes?

I wish! At least I could do something about that.

Chibnall has said that DW is going to change. Hopefully, he'll bring-in something new and fresh, something akin to what Letts/Dicks - or even JN-T - did.

3 hours ago, RPurton said:

Not sure if this is happening or the veracity of the source, but Murray Gold will be leaving too. :( His music was some of the best and most thematically-driven and consistent music for television!

Truth be told, I'm positively SHOCKED at how long Gold has kept going!

Four Doctors, ten seasons, only one person? Wow. Just, wow.

It'll be a shame to see him go; he's done some pretty great work!

4 hours ago, Richard said:

I wish! At least I could do something about that.

Chibnall has said that DW is going to change. Hopefully, he'll bring-in something new and fresh, something akin to what Letts/Dicks - or even JN-T - did.

Apparently he has discussed with the Beeb the possibility of one story encompassing the entire season run, similar to what he did with Broadchurch (you'd assume with subject matter less dark than child murder and sexual assault, though).    

What's more exciting is that I heard maybe he's doing an American-style writer's room approach to writing the show?  I don't even necessarily think that's inherently better than the more traditionally British approach, but it is very different and that's what the show needs.

9 hours ago, RPurton said:

101lwn.jpg

7 hours ago, Richard said:

New and fresh? Like a female Doctor! 

42 minutes ago, Woj said:

I've thought that a British-Indian woman could be perfect as the Doctor if they can find the right actress.  Guess we'll find out on Sunday!

I'm in favor of whoever Chibnall has decided suits his vision*

*Provided that vision is not of Russell Brand

My friend at work drew my attention to a segment at the end of Newsnight recently, where they played part of a webcam interview with

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

in which, when asked 'are you the next Doctor?' they say 'I'm not allowed to talk about that'.

Said friend was absolutely insistent that this choice of words could mean nothing other than 100% confirmation that they were the next Doctor and under an NDA agreement.

I suggested he was over-analysing it a tad. I hope hope we get a female Doctor next.

Gold wanting to leave doesn't surprise me at all. He's been on it for 12 years. I think the lack of score releases lately may indicate his declining enthusiasm.

When Waller-Bridge's name was in the rumors I thought she'd make a fantastic choice, but it seemed like she had other commitments maybe.  She has her TV show that writes and stars in, Fleabag.

Well bang goes my spoiler tags..

My only reason for hoping it's not her is so I can go into work on Monday and remind my friend of how wrong he was. (He gets very overconfident about a lot of things).

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Gold wanting to leave doesn't surprise me at all. He's been on it for 12 years. I think the lack of score releases lately may indicate his declining enthusiasm.

It doesn't surprise me, no, but it worries me. For me (who hadn't seen a single episode of the show until binge-watching the full NuWho two years ago), Gold is as much Doctor Who as anything else is. He's been inventive and flexible, changing tone with each new Doctor (although the overly Zimmerish sound of the Capaldi theme can get a bit boring in the less inspired episode scores) and setting, and more importantly, he's every once in a while done thematic writing that's as leitmotific as anything can be (like revealing the Cybermen in the S9 finale one scene before the dialogue does. If he leaves, it will be hard for them to find a replacement who comes close musically and narratively.

I've been feeling like there's something strange in the water with regards to Gold. I'd heard that the recent arrival of a baby into his family had refocused his priorities, which is why there hasn't been a new music release in a long time.

If he is moving on, I hope whoever fills his enormous shoes will carry over some of the villain identities Gold has created, such as the Cybermen theme. The obvious choice is Ben Foster, Gold's orchestrator and conductor, but a composer in his own right. However, if a total shake up is what they're looking for then music will be an obvious way to go with a different tone for the show.

I'd love David Arnold to get a crack in full melodic mode, but I suspect he will be involved in any upcoming Moffat/Gatiss productions and also strongly hinted at returning to Bond in the near future.

I wasn't particularly taken by Foster's work on the later parts of Torchwood. It didn't feel like it matched Gold's level.

I'd agree that Arnold will likely be involved in whatever Moffatt does next (I think he's got a Dracula adaptation coming).

17 minutes ago, MattyO said:

I've been feeling like there's something strange in the water with regards to Gold. I'd heard that the recent arrival of a baby into his family had refocused his priorities, which is why there hasn't been a new music release in a long time.

That's the same thing I read. A quote over at FSM suggested that with a family, he's not as interested in music releases nowadays.

I'd hope that if he is indeed stepping down, he could go out with one last release of highlights.

11 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Truth be told, I'm positively SHOCKED at how long Gold has kept going!

Four Doctors, ten seasons, only one person? Wow. Just, wow.

It'll be a shame to see him go; he's done some pretty great work!

Yes, he's rivaled Dudley Simpson.

4 hours ago, Woj said:

No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!

It's the mom from Broadchurch!  Jodie Whitaker!

Very good actress, she was stunning in the first season Broadchurch.  I can't wait to see what's in store next year.

Whittaker was excellent in the first Broadchurch series. She was still good in the rest, but her character become increasingly annoying towards the end (because the whole plot became increasingly pointless in context in series 3).

Interestingly, the first Broadchurch series now suddenly stars *three* Doctors.

@Richard

http://newsthump.com/2017/07/16/fictional-time-travellers-dont-have-vaginas-insist-morons/

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Whittaker was excellent in the first Broadchurch series. She was still good in the rest, but her character become increasingly annoying towards the end (because the whole plot became increasingly pointless in context in series 3).

I was frankly surprised they squeezed a second series out of that murder case. And in a way that was very entertaining, though not always believable. 

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I was frankly surprised they squeezed a second series out of that murder case. And in a way that was very entertaining, though not always believable. 

It makes sense though, and works well enough, showing that the case is not done as simply as you'd wish. It's series three that falls short by (rightfully) introducing a wholly new case but still keeping all the old characters and plot strains around. Still entertaining enough, though nowhere near the first (and second).

I don't recognize those characters.

Why is that Twitter person implying females didn't have a hero in Doctor Who until now? Also, they do realize The Doctor is a reformed killer, right?