The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

1 minute ago, Evil-Lyn said:

One of the best Who episodes was the one where Clara is the star while The Doc is trapped in a shrinking TARDIS, and he's disturbed by how much he's rubbed off on her at the end. Okay, that might have sounded lewd, but you know what I mean. A woman as The Doctor isn't exactly a role model.

Flatliners!  Great episode.  I liked Rigsy a lot.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Just spotted David Tennant at Wimbledon!

100% confirmed! David Tennant to return as the 12th Doctor!

That's just brilliant. The "as the 12th(!) Doctor" bit is the icing on the cake. :P

Fabulous news, I've only seen Jodie in Broadchurch but she was very good in that. She's very charismatic and a wonderful dramatic actor, and I assume she's got the comedy chops that the Doctor requires these days.

I think it was risky to change up the gender, a male Doctor is as monolithic and unchanging as the blue phone box.

If it wasn't a female Doctor we would've ended up with Matt Smith 2.0. Was honestly surprised by the news but I think it will be interesting to see how different this incarnation.

Next question is, will the companions be male or female, or a new lesbian relationship? :)

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

If it wasn't a female Doctor we would've ended up with Matt Smith 2.0.

Random factoid: Whittaker is almost exactly the same age as Smith.  I think she's a few months older.

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

Next question is, will the companions be male or female, or a new lesbian relationship? :)

Now is when I'd be ok with bringing River Song back!  Probably not of course, she (like Missy) will be a Moffat-only character I think.

Technically River Song was introduced in the RTD era, but you are correct. 

I believe Moffat is the only person to have ever written her.

As much as i love Alex Kingston, the show needs to move away from old characters.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Technically River Song was introduced in the RTD era, but you are correct. 

I believe Moffat is the only person to have ever written her.

As much as i love Alex Kingston, the show needs to move away from old characters.

Yes but have you seen the video of Alex Kingston finding out literally while on stage at a convention that Whittaker had been cast?

Starting at 1:16:

I'd love to see those two work together, but I think you're right.  It's for the best to leave all old characters behind, including RTD-era ones.

20 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I don't recognize those characters.

The person on the left is a character named "Starbuck" from a 1970s tv show called Battlestar Galactica.  I've never seen it either.

The person on the right is a character named Kara Thrace, who has a callsign of Starbuck, from the 2004-2009 TV series also called Battlestar Galactica (it was a reboot/reimagining of the 70s show).  I actually think you would like this show a lot if you were to watch it.  Note that the first episode is a 4 hour (3 hours w/o commercials) miniseries, and not quite indicative of the pace and tone the rest of the series would have, so watch until at least the next episode after the miniseries if you don't like it right away before making judgement to continue.

I've been meaning to take a look back at season 10 and I'll keep it quick.

The season started out very promising then had the weird 3-episode arc with the Monks that ended real bad and then kind of boringly limped to a spectacular finish.

Great Episodes, Ones I'll Be Returning to Soon

World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls

Extremis

Thin Ice

Pretty Good Episodes With Lots to Recommend

Oxygen

Knock Knock

The Pyramid at the End of the World

Decent Episodes

The Pilot

Smile

Zzzzz Wake Me Up When It's Over

Empress of Mars

The Eaters of Light

Oh God What Were They Thinking

The Lie of the Land

Yes, I know I liked "Thin Ice" more than a lot of people.  That one just really hit for me.  Great character work.

Capaldi Seasons, Ranked:

1. Season 9

2. Season 8

3. Season 10

Whittaker herself is so talented, if season 11 is a failure I think the fault will lie squarely with Chibnall.  Not sure what to expect, the 2 seasons of Torchwood he ran were embarassingly stupid IMO.  But Broadchurch season 1 is one of the greatest seasons of television ever for me.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Whittaker herself is so talented, if season 11 is a failure I think the fault will lie squarely with Chibnall.  Not sure what to expect, the 2 seasons of Torchwood he ran were embarassingly stupid IMO.  But Broadchurch season 1 is one of the greatest seasons of television ever for me.

Broadchurch season 1 is indeed excellent. 2's pretty damn good, and the 3rd and final from earlier this year is back up to excellent again. 

I like seasons 2 and 3, but I could never shake this feeling that the first season was so perfect on its own, that maybe it'd have been better to leave it alone.

Also, season 3 kind of fizzled by the end.  It was amazing at the start, brutally straightforward portrayal of the aftermath of a rape.  Awful and fascinating.

9 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Nice to see reasonable responses here ... from the reaction of some people online last night, you'd have thought their lives were over FFS.

She at least deserves a chance, no? 

Oh......alright, then :P

I mean ... I'm not the most PC person, or anything. But seeing jokes like 'It's OK, the Tardis doesn't need to be parallel-parked', 'Will the show now be 'Nurse Who'?', 'Even Cybermen need sandwiches' and 'Will the sonic screwdriver now be from Ann Summers?' do make one think 'Is it 2017 ... or 1977?'   

Also, the 'this is the modern BBC for you, overrun with liberal lefties' stuff makes me chuckle ... one of the suggestions of show co-creator Sydney Newman at the very start back in '63 was that the Doctor could be possibly be female. And the initial producer back then (Verity Lambert) was female, and the initial director (Waris Hussein) was a gay bloke from an ethnic minority.  

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Random factoid: Whittaker is almost exactly the same age as Smith.  I think she's a few months older.

But of course, he was 7 years younger when he became the Doctor. Becoming-Doctor-age-wise, Whittaker is pretty close to Tennant.

7 hours ago, RPurton said:

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But of course, he was 7 years younger when he became the Doctor. Becoming-Doctor-age-wise, Whittaker is pretty close to Tennant.

And I actually thought she was older than that before I looked yesterday.  It's not because she especially looks older, I think she just radiates maturity or something.  A "wise beyond her years" quality should be perfect for The Doctor.

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like seasons 2 and 3, but I could never shake this feeling that the first season was so perfect on its own, that maybe it'd have been better to leave it alone.

Also, season 3 kind of fizzled by the end.  It was amazing at the start, brutally straightforward portrayal of the aftermath of a rape.  Awful and fascinating.

I had the feeling that the rape case in series three, or at least its development and resolution, didn't have nearly as much impact as it could/should have. Probably because the plot was muddied up with all those legacy characters that weren't really relevant to the new plot anymore.

I forget which Who episodes Chibnall wrote, but I think none of them ranked highly on my list. But judging from Broadchurch, I hope he'll do some good season arcs.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I forget which Who episodes Chibnall wrote, but I think none of them ranked highly on my list. But judging from Broadchurch, I hope he'll do some good season arcs.

His best Who episode is "The Power of Three."  Which is actually one of my favorites of the Smith era.

Doctor Rug Muncher. Geez.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

His best Who episode is "The Power of Three."  Which is actually one of my favorites of the Smith era.

THE POWER OF THREE contains the most meta DW joke, ever. Funny as.

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Nice to see reasonable responses here ... from the reaction of some people online last night, you'd have thought their lives were over FFS.

She at least deserves a chance, no? 

Of course she does! She's a cute blonde white lady!

Oh she's awfully cute. I've never seen her in anything so who knows. Coming in after Capaldi must be hard.

My main problem as usual is the writing process and the selection of writers, who in this case tend to be the ones who break or make the show.

Two little hopes come to mind: I hope they keep whatever common elements reoccur through incarnations, she can be tomboyish and such. And I hope they don't go "oh the companion has to be a guy".

On 18/07/2017 at 9:26 AM, Brónach said:

Two little hopes come to mind: I hope they keep whatever common elements reoccur through incarnations, she can be tomboyish and such. And I hope they don't go "oh the companion has to be a guy".

Cute girl Doctor AND companion?

What are all the guys complaining? Imagine the eye candy! :P

Quick questions:

- Has there been any word on whether the Chibbnal series will have "a Moffatt episode" just like the Davies series did?

- Any word of whether Jack Harkness and/or the Tenth Doctor may return at some point?

- How about "the Doctor's Daughter"? I saw there is an audio book lined up about her, but how about on screen too?

48 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Quick questions:

- Has there been any word on whether the Chibbnal series will have "a Moffatt episode" just like the Davies series did?

- Any word of whether Jack Harkness and/or the Tenth Doctor may return at some point?

- How about "the Doctor's Daughter"? I saw there is an audio book lined up about her, but how about on screen too?

All three aren't really on the cards - Chibnall apparently has a fresh slate, yet I wouldn't mind seeing a Jack return. There's no way of telling if Jack or the Tenth Doctor, or Jenny will return, but if they do, they'll most likely survive in the audio books etc. 

I get the feeling they were more of the Tenth Doctor's companions, and Jack especially had his goodbyes with the End of Time farewell sequence.

Moffat has said that the end of his tenure as showrunner will probably end his association with Who altogether, so I wouldn't hold your breath for future episodes penned by him. Think I read somewhere that him and Gatiss are now working on a modernised version of Dracula. 

And given Captain Jack's absence from both Smith and Capaldi's runs (and Torchwood having been consigned to just audio dramas for some time now) doesn't bode well for his return, really. 

Speaking of audio dramas, think I saw somewhere recently that ones with Jenny are planned. 

Now he gets to be one. 

I wonder who the Fourteenth Doctor will be. If they go back to a man, the Jodie Whittaker experiment would be seen as a failure. I think 14 needs to be black or Asian to continue the progressive experiment.